Tipping on the drink package

Its been a couple of years since we have been on NCL and i wanted to find out if tipping is still done with cash if you have the drink package?  I know there is a tip built into the price, but i like to tip a couple of bucks per drink order above that.  On RCL, i think they print our a $0 receipt and you can write in a tip and i think on our last NCL cruise they didnt print anything and you had to use cash. 

thx

When we last sailed - pre covid - we had some leftover OBC we wanted to give to our bartender (we had been tipping in cash).  We asked and he generated a O balance receipt where we were able to add the tip.

They no longer do the paper receipts once you're out of the US port (they do so there so they can assess tax.)  Best to throw your favorite bartender cash.  Personally, I don't do it with every drink but I'll tip my favorite bartender(s) at the end of the night.

Tip in cash both at bars and at included dining venues (main dining rooms, O'Sheehans, etc) if you're so inclined.

Off the Breakaway out of NY to Bermuda, the crew are not in the habit of accepting a noncash tip at the bar and the restaurants like OSheehans. There is a way to do it but you have to state it up front when you place your order that you want to add a tip and then the server scrambles to figure out how to do it. Both bartenders and waitstaff are in the habit of taking your order and close out the "bill" as soon as possible if you have an beverage plan or dining at included venue. If you want to leave a tip on your on board account, they have to keep your bill open and bring a their phone app so you can add a tip. If they already closed your bill, then as a previous poster said, you can ask them open another bill with 0 balance so you can tip. Too much hassle IMO when you can just hand them cash and get their very obvious gratitude.

Edited by kylenyc
  • Like 1

My wife just rolled my change and I brought it to the bank yesterday to cash in for tip money.

Sailing Joy in January and I always walk around with 10's, 5's, and 1's for cash tipping bartenders, cabin steward and just anyone that does something for us.

I usually have a favorite bar or 2 and I'll tip those bartenders early and often the first day or two and I'm never forgotten and rarely wait long for a drink. I make a point of spreading the wealth the first day and it always makes everyone super happy and usually makes me some friends all around the ship.

I'm really psyched for January 15th!!

BTW, I had $195 in change and that should get me through the week.

Asking because I am new to cruising. Took our first on Carnival the other week. I disliked getting a slip that I had to sign every drink that has a tip line on it. Gratuities are already pre-paid on the drink package. No, I am not stingy on tipping. I tipped my first bartender that I would see often $20 on my first drink. At the end of the cruise, the 3 that served me the best each got $100. Tipping on every drink after I have already paid the tip is kind of a crazy concept to me. 

3 hours ago, bigrednole said:

Asking because I am new to cruising. Took our first on Carnival the other week. I disliked getting a slip that I had to sign every drink that has a tip line on it. 

Yes, NCL used to do that with every drink.  It was a hassle.

Remember a couple things:  While we're fixating on the appropriate amount/timing of tips, there are many (perhaps most) who don't.  They figure they paid the grats when they got the drink/dining package and the per day tips are charged as well.  They're not wrong.  If you want to throw staff a few extra bucks, that's great, but you're under no obligation and however you choose to do it will be appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1