Where to stay pre/post cruise in San Juan and covid test

k9cop

Have group of 3 adult couples going on the Explorer out of San Juan in February.  In the past we have stayed at Tres Palmas inn but just found out they are no longer in operation.  Any suggestions for reasonable priced places?  Also, is anyone familiar where in San Juan for getting the required covid test.  We will be in San Juan 2 days prior to sailing.

On 12/3/2021 at 3:04 PM, k9cop said:

Have group of 3 adult couples going on the Explorer out of San Juan in February.  In the past we have stayed at Tres Palmas inn but just found out they are no longer in operation.  Any suggestions for reasonable priced places?  Also, is anyone familiar where in San Juan for getting the required covid test.  We will be in San Juan 2 days prior to sailing.

We are in the same situation, leaving on a cruise January 23, arriving in San Juan on the 21st. I think we are going to bring two home tests with us and just do them in San Juan. I’ve had a hard time locating a rapid test location in San Juan. I know you can get them done at the airport for about $100 per person

2 hours ago, derbycity31 said:

We need testing in San Juan as well, we will be there 3 days before cruise. Can you bring a home test? That would be the easiest, but I thought it said it needs to be done by a medical professional. 

It has to be a proctored test. They are sold through Optum and Emed . You can't use an ordinary home test.

On 12/9/2021 at 11:21 AM, k9cop said:

I know that some places like CVS, Walgreens, etc… do rapid tests, and I believe there are some CVS in San Juan.  Anyone know if they do them there?

The drug stores only do drive through but we are not renting a car so will just have test done at pier. NCL is charging 99 each otherwise we would have to do the proctored test. Our day is starting early and we don't land till 4 pm I don't think I want to even consider thinking about getting on the phone with someone at 5 PM or later,  BF will be ready to eat.

• 1 month later...
On 12/13/2021 at 3:21 PM, odie1024 said:

The drug stores only do drive through but we are not renting a car so will just have test done at pier. NCL is charging 99 each otherwise we would have to do the proctored test. Our day is starting early and we don't land till 4 pm I don't think I want to even consider thinking about getting on the phone with someone at 5 PM or later,  BF will be ready to eat.

Have you considered doing the test at SJU when you land? I think that's where we will.

6 hours ago, Ashland said:

Have you considered doing the test at SJU when you land? I think that's where we will.

I ordered the Optum proctored Covid test for us and also have appts here at CVS on Wednesday. I just would like to get everything filled out at home and sent to Travelsafe before we leave the house. We are heading to Boston on Thursday afternoon and staying right at the airport for our early flight out the next day. Stressful, we had BF's mom pass away a week and 1/2 ago so had to cancel our trip, thankfully we had insurance and were able to reschedule for 2 weeks later.  Can't wait to get on that ship on Feb. 6th.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been through various airports in the past 2 weeks.  All of them have a testing center.  You can make appointments (cheaper), but you can also do a walk up.  Luckily SJ has changed its entry requirements to VAX or test (so I read here).  Hotels have testing options too, but you will pay more.  I love the US drive through at CVS and Wallgreens. Easy and free.

On 12/3/2021 at 8:04 PM, k9cop said:

Hotels

CasaBlanca 

or lower price point

Milano

6 hours ago, Travel Mom said:

I have been through various airports in the past 2 weeks.  All of them have a testing center.  You can make appointments (cheaper), but you can also do a walk up.  Luckily SJ has changed its entry requirements to VAX or test (so I read here).  Hotels have testing options too, but you will pay more.  I love the US drive through at CVS and Wallgreens. Easy and free.

Still stressed about getting the test in San Juan...where and when. 

Agree love the tests done at CVS near our home....but that won't work this trip due to our pre cruise days in San Juan.

Has anyone found a testing option in San Juan that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg? 
I might be okay with the test I have to get going to the USA but it’ll be borderline for the 96hr requirement for proof of a prior negative when I get tested at the pier for NCL

On 2/10/2022 at 3:30 PM, eileeshb said:

Has anyone found a testing option in San Juan that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg? 
I might be okay with the test I have to get going to the USA but it’ll be borderline for the 96hr requirement for proof of a prior negative when I get tested at the pier for NCL

Not sure this will help but you can get the test at the San Juan airport (SJU) but it will cost.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Travel Mom said:

yes probably, I guess an uber can take you. We haven't figured that one out yet

We're staying at the Sheraton right down the street from CVS and Walgreens is right next door to the hotel. I've booked testing at the port day of cruise. As a back up if all else fails.

On 2/25/2022 at 3:39 PM, njhorseman said:

I suspect you'll find that most passengers are taking one of the proctored antigen tests such as the BInaxNOW Ag .

Very true...but trying to manage that just after midnight before we leave for LAX for an early flight to SJU is what's giving me concerns. Also trying to take (first time) the test at our hotel concerns as well.