More new UK testing requirements

sm9690

Just seen that the UK gov has announced this evening that from 4am on the 7th, you'll need to have completed a negative pre-departure test. 

I'm due on the Magnifica on the 7th, hopefully they'll accept the NHS LFT as I don't fancy paying a fortune to get one done on board! 

When you arrive back into southampton, what gets checked? Do you go through passport control etc?

Edited by sm9690

39 minutes ago, sidari said:

The money making scam go round will continue as long as people keep paying up.

Not sure what point you are making here. If the only way to travel/enter the country is to pay for a test what choice do people have other than paying up?

Or are you suggesting they just don't travel?

• Like 1

It would be good to hear from those currently on board as to how they intend to meet the new requirements and at what cost, given that they are due to dock in Southampton after the 4am deadline set for Tuesday. We are due to board on Tuesday, so will report on what we get from MSC / Travel Agent , if anything!

Someone has just posted this on the other site, I assume it's from the UK website but haven't checked. Edit, it's in the FAQ section.

'Found this on MSC website.
For all sailings in the upcoming months, to ensure the highest standards of health and safety and allow a safe return home to our Guests in compliance with national regulations, MSC Cruises has organized the possibility for its guests to purchase and perform a molecular test (i.e RT-PCR) or an antigen test during their cruise.
The molecular test will be charged 80 euros. The tests will be organized to comply with the 48h or 72h test validity to return to your country according to your national regulations. The antigenic test is always available for 25 euros. These tests do not substitute the complimentary covid tests performed on board to comply with our comprehensive health and safety protocol.'
Edited by kernow
adding text

17 minutes ago, kernow said:

The antigenic test is always available for 25 euros. These tests do not substitute the complimentary covid tests performed on board to comply with our comprehensive health and safety protocol.

So that sounds like we all have to stump up the 25 euros or they might even provide a complimentary one on the day cruising back to Southampton - I know what my money is on but let's wait and see!

2 minutes ago, Shirpa said:

So that sounds like we all have to stump up the 25 euros or they might even provide a complimentary one on the day cruising back to Southampton - I know what my money is on but let's wait and see!

Not sure whether it's a PCR or lateral flow that is needed but either way it will have to be paid for.

1 minute ago, kernow said:

Not sure whether it's a PCR or lateral flow that is needed but either way it will have to be paid for.

Lateral flow test is needed but we will take some NHS ones with us for self testing anyway. I beleive that we need 'proof' of the test and I wonder what form that will take to be compliant with UK Gov requirements. At least we are all in the same boat (no pun intended).

4 minutes ago, Couple-Somerset said:

MSC paid for start cruise Antigen, they paid for a mid-cruise Antigen and then offered either a free Antigen or PCR at the end of the cruise.

That sounds like good news but the new requirements also present a nice 'earning' opportunity for MSC!

I have just got back from a fab week on the Magnifica. So regarding testing....

FT PCR within 72hrs of embarkation 

PLF done within 48hrs which you are required to put in your code for your pcr when you come back. We had to show this before we boarded. This might have changed while we were away.

LFT done at the port before embarkation 

The rules changed while we were away..

So msc yesterday at sea did LFT for 400plus brits free of charge and issued a certificate if clear.

Today we weren't allowed off the ship until we went and saw the Immigration boarder force people who came aboard the ship this morning and we had to present our PLF LFT certificates and passports then we could disembark.

We have our PCRs booked for tomorrow.

There were a few people who moaned and it's not MSCs fault they are just following the rules the government set and have to work by. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Cruiseforever11 said:

PLF done within 48hrs which you are required to put in your code for your pcr when you come back. We had to show this before we boarded. This might have changed while we were away.

So msc yesterday at sea did LFT for 400plus brits free of charge and issued a certificate if clear.

Today we weren't allowed off the ship until we went and saw the Immigration boarder force people who came aboard the ship this morning and we had to present our PLF LFT certificates and passports then we could disembark.

There were a few people who moaned and it's not MSCs fault they are just following the rules the government set and have to work by. 

Should have got a Dinghy back, nothing needed then ... 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Cruiseforever11 said:

Any idea what would happen if someone tested positive on the final LFT, would they be allowed to disembark?

40 minutes ago, Cruiseforever11 said:

Hi Suzanne, glad you enjoyed yourselves, hope the long drive home was ok. 
Were you allowed off the ship to do your own thing in ports or was it ship’s excursions only. I’ve been reading conflicting information in this regard so I though I’d wait and ask you. Also, did you need an LFT to go ashore and did you have to pay?

Pleased to hear about the LFT for re-entry into the UK was free of charge.

22 minutes ago, kernow said:

Any idea what would happen if someone tested positive on the final LFT, would they be allowed to disembark?

I honestly don't know the answer to that sorry. No announcements were made saying please could Mr n Mrs Jones please contact reception like they did in the summer. So I guess everyone passed the test. They couldn't keep you onboard but I guess you would of had to go down with the hazmat team to deck 8 or 9 and quarantine till arrival in Southampton then immigration would of taken over I guess. I really don't know.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CaroleC said:

Hi Suzanne, glad you enjoyed yourselves, hope the long drive home was ok. 
Were you allowed off the ship to do your own thing in ports or was it ship’s excursions only. I’ve been reading conflicting information in this regard so I though I’d wait and ask you. Also, did you need an LFT to go ashore and did you have to pay?

Pleased to hear about the LFT for re-entry into the UK was free of charge.

Hi Carol we had a ball. Yes we were allowed off the ship even if we didn't have a tour booked. So all the ports we went to there was a shuttle bus service which you had to pay for but it did allow you to do your own thing. 

The Christmas market outside Hamburg (about 40mins away msc excursion) please be aware if you book that take suitable footwear for walking round a field. We got a memo the day before telling us this as it is in the middle of nowhere in a field which was a bit late and we would of packed our walking boots. Anyway the whole trip then got cancelled cus no one wanted to walk round a cold wet muddy field. Hamburg was cold 🥶 1°c all day and it snowed. We got the shuttle bus in about 30mins to the centre and a cost of €18 per person.

We didn't do any LFT to go ashore only to come back into the UK which msc did free of charge for all brits.

We were asked to show proof of vaccination and i.d (passports) to enter the Hamburg city centre xmas markets.

We did a canal cruise round Amsterdam on our own. An hour cruise for €13pp again had to show proof of vaccinations and I.D passport again.

Apart from that the cruise what brilliant. Yes we didn't get into Belgium as the weather was just bad as I've mentioned before. The staff on board some of the best we've ever had they were so much fun and up for a laugh. Shows etc were really good and last night was so good the lounge was packed as it was a 60s 70s flower power disco night right up my street!  I've asked all the staff to put in for a transfer to the Virtuosa when I go in May seriously they were brilliant.

Food was really nice too.

There was never anymore than 1000 people on board and when people got off on Sunday in Hamburg there was only about 800 on board I think there were more Brits than anyone else.

I wish I could go for another week as they were starting to dress the ship up in xmas decorations so was starting to look very festive. 🥂☃️🎄🎉

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cruiseforever11 said:

So all the ports we went to there was a shuttle bus service which you had to pay for but it did allow you to do your own thing. 

We did a canal cruise round Amsterdam on our own. An hour cruise for €13pp again had to show proof of vaccinations and I.D passport again.

Was there a shuttle bus to Amsterdam then? I thought it was quite a way from the port and I’ve been trying to figure out how we were going to get there as I don’t want to miss it.

15 minutes ago, CaroleC said:

Was there a shuttle bus to Amsterdam then? I thought it was quite a way from the port and I’ve been trying to figure out how we were going to get there as I don’t want to miss it.

We had booked a fully vaccinated transfer which took us in. The only shuttle took you to the end of the port and that was free. Some people used that then got a bus outside the port into the centre. The centre was a 30 min transfer on the booked excursion.

• Thanks 1