Pre Embark Cvd test. Which worked for you in last 45 days FL port departures

Fogfog

4 hours ago, kelleherdl said:

What you state is true for adult US citizens and permanent US Residents (‘Green Card Holders’).  Most non-US residents, adults and children, will be tested again at the pier.  Current as of Dec 12, subject to change as always.  The tests for non-US residents and children are free.

I’m not seeing that on the MSC US site. Can you post where that info is for everyone please?

This is what is on the US site 52A07DCF-5F1C-44EE-BC4E-F52F8F881A8F.thumb.png.3de7026f378f25c6530065e2b9d75c07.png

072B699B-F75C-4E67-98E6-A1B25086EAB5.thumb.png.7bbf5376e17b9f1fcf1bbd93e402f351.png

A kind MSC rep pointed out to me this evening that the recent wording changes to the testing requirements removed any reference to NAAT being acceptable. Now specifically says RT-PCR only for under 12 and RT-PCR or antigen for over 12. She wasn’t sure if NAAT or no longer being accepted, but for safety I would avoid it if possible until there is clarity. 

35 minutes ago, slei15 said:

A kind MSC rep pointed out to me this evening that the recent wording changes to the testing requirements removed any reference to NAAT being acceptable. Now specifically says RT-PCR only for under 12 and RT-PCR or antigen for over 12. She wasn’t sure if NAAT or no longer being accepted, but for safety I would avoid it if possible until there is clarity. 

That rep is correct, the screen shots I posted above don’t mention NAAT at all. 

I used the Binax at-home test on Friday morning for my Sunday sailing on Meraviglia December 5. My first test kit was defective so I’m glad I had a spare.

As I was boarding I saw two young men whose test results were rejected by MSC for some reason. I don’t know the particulars but I distinctly overheard someone from MSC staff tell them “you have to be tested again before you board.” I think MSC has some limited testing capability at the Port Canaveral location even if they don’t advertise it.

18 hours ago, slei15 said:

Uh oh. Can any recent cruisers confirm if they’re not accepting NAAT?  Not sure if I can make the 2 day time frame unless I purchase one of those guided antigen tests out of pocket. 

also does anyone know if u mark off “been exposed to someone with suspected Covid but not confirmed” (since I basically assume anyone at grocery store is a suspect but not confirmed carrier..) will they mark that on test results?

Interesting and following.  I noticed someone posted that it appears only the PCR and Rapid Antigen are accepted.   I decided to troll the Princess website.   Well guess what?  CDC changed the rules effective yesterday.   Princess has a wealth of information that MSC doesn’t.   It explains everything in understandable terms and provides valuable FAQ’s.   You might want to visit Princess.com and hopefully your questions will be answered.   They answered mine.

2 hours ago, FrostyJoe said:

Uh oh. Can any recent cruisers confirm if they’re not accepting NAAT?  Not sure if I can make the 2 day time frame unless I purchase one of those guided antigen tests out of pocket. 

also does anyone know if u mark off “been exposed to someone with suspected Covid but not confirmed” (since I basically assume anyone at grocery store is a suspect but not confirmed carrier..) will they mark that on test results?

If you’re cruising from a US port and are a US resident it appears from the above text that I posted which is a screen shot from the MSC US site that they no longer accept the NAAT test. 
I received my last batch of Binax now at home monitored tests in less than 4 days from optum.com.
If you have time I think that is the safest option and the only option that gives you full control of doing the test when you need to and getting results in 15 min 

Here in RI we can’t get a rapid test without checking off that we have symptoms or have been exposed. I didn’t want that on my record because it wasn’t true.
The last thing I needed was for that to be on the results that I was tested because I was having symptoms. Too risky in my opinion. 

At home test worked for us last month before getting on Divina and we’re using it again in January for Seashore. 

28 minutes ago, styles27 said:

If you’re cruising from a US port and are a US resident it appears from the above text that I posted which is a screen shot from the MSC US site that they no longer accept the NAAT test. 
I received my last batch of Binax now at home monitored tests in less than 4 days from optum.com.
If you have time I think that is the safest option and the only option that gives you full control of doing the test when you need to and getting results in 15 min 

Here in RI we can’t get a rapid test without checking off that we have symptoms or have been exposed. I didn’t want that on my record because it wasn’t true.
The last thing I needed was for that to be on the results that I was tested because I was having symptoms. Too risky in my opinion. 

At home test worked for us last month before getting on Divina and we’re using it again in January for Seashore. 

Can two different people take the pack of two home test?  Or does it have to be one and only one person?

1 hour ago, FrostyJoe said:

Can two different people take the pack of two home test?  Or does it have to be one and only one person?

2  different people can each use a test. You each have to make an account on the NAVICA app. which is the app used for the tele monitoring part of the test 

2 hours ago, styles27 said:

2  different people can each use a test. You each have to make an account on the NAVICA app. which is the app used for the tele monitoring part of the test 

Sweet. Thank you!! We’ll probably take three tests before leaving. One non monitored binnaxnow so we can reschedule if we’re positive, one monitored one, and one from local phmaracy 🙂. Last thing I want is for MSC to deny boarding because they won’t accept a test!!!

Edited by FrostyJoe
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, MrsFops&FopsC5 said:

Interesting and following.  I noticed someone posted that it appears only the PCR and Rapid Antigen are accepted.   I decided to troll the Princess website.   Well guess what?  CDC changed the rules effective yesterday.   Princess has a wealth of information that MSC doesn’t.   It explains everything in understandable terms and provides valuable FAQ’s.   You might want to visit Princess.com and hopefully your questions will be answered.   They answered mine.

I just looked at the Princess website and it shows that a NAAT test is acceptable (RT-PCR is a NAAT test). Here is a copy of what's on their website:

What types of COVID-19 tests are accepted?

Guests must be tested with a SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT).

• Antigen tests include:
    • Rapid antigen test
    • Viral antigen test
    • Antigen Chromatographic Digital Immunoassay,
    • Antigen Chemiluminescence Immunoassay, or
    • Antigen Lateral Flow Fluorescence
  • NAAT include:
    • PCR - Polymerase chain reaction
    • RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR
    • Quantitative PCR (qPCR)
    • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP) test
    • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA) test
    • Molecular test or molecular diagnostic test
    • Isothermal amplification
    • Droplet Digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)
    • Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)

We are scheduled for the rapid diagnostic test ID NOW, which is a NAAT test, at Walgreens on Friday for boarding the Meraviglia on Sunday. That was accepted by MSC in October and by Carnival in November. I searched the CDC site for any changes in requirements and couldn't find anything. I'll try calling MSC in the morning, although the chances of finding a rep on the phone who knows anything about it is slim.

8 hours ago, 40yearcruiser said:

I just looked at the Princess website and it shows that a NAAT test is acceptable (RT-PCR is a NAAT test). Here is a copy of what's on their website:

What types of COVID-19 tests are accepted?

Guests must be tested with a SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT).

• Antigen tests include:
    • Rapid antigen test
    • Viral antigen test
    • Antigen Chromatographic Digital Immunoassay,
    • Antigen Chemiluminescence Immunoassay, or
    • Antigen Lateral Flow Fluorescence
  • NAAT include:
    • PCR - Polymerase chain reaction
    • RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR
    • Quantitative PCR (qPCR)
    • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP) test
    • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA) test
    • Molecular test or molecular diagnostic test
    • Isothermal amplification
    • Droplet Digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)
    • Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)

We are scheduled for the rapid diagnostic test ID NOW, which is a NAAT test, at Walgreens on Friday for boarding the Meraviglia on Sunday. That was accepted by MSC in October and by Carnival in November. I searched the CDC site for any changes in requirements and couldn't find anything. I'll try calling MSC in the morning, although the chances of finding a rep on the phone who knows anything about it is slim.

I too didn’t see any changes on the cdc site for cruise ship testing. 

I know the cdc recently changed testing requirements for foreign air travel to the US maybe that’s where the confusion is?

14 minutes ago, styles27 said:

I too didn’t see any changes on the cdc site for cruise ship testing. 

I know the cdc recently changed testing requirements for foreign air travel to the US maybe that’s where the confusion is?

Yea…as far as I know current CDC Restricted Sailing Order is in effect until 1/15/2022. I believe it was extended from (same one) one that expired back in November. 

• Like 1

I am now totally confused.  Sorry for the question but if a NAAT test is a PCR test for say Princess why is it not for MSC?  Princess site did show an update effective 12/15.  I just hope someone can tell me what test we need.   We are on the 1/15 sailing on Seashore.  I am so confused 😢😢😢🤪🤪🤪. Thank you

Thanks for this thread. I have all three shots but this whole 48 hour test is the thing I am least comfortable with, and only out of concern to get the right one and find one available in such a fixed timeframe.  For me my current guidelines (for US resident going to Caribbean) are:

• All fully vaccinated guests 12 years & older are required show proof of a negative antigen or RT-PCR test taken no more than 2 days prior to ship embarkation.
  • All guests not fully vaccinated (all guests under 12 years of age, given our vaccination requirements) are required to show proof of a negative RT-PCR test taken no more than 3 days prior to ship embarkation. These guests will undergo an additional COVID-19 test at the terminal prior to embarkation, provided by MSC Cruises, free of charge. The only exception is that no pre-embarkation or embarkation testing is required for guests under 2 years of age. 
  • Tests must be taken with an accredited test provider, such as a drugstore chain, diagnostic lab or accredited at home telehealth provider. Guests will be required to show their negative test result upon arriving at the pier. The results can be printed out, or can be presented on your phone, such as the email result from your test provider. Test results will need to clearly show the type of test (Antigen, RT-PCR or NAAT), testing location/provider’s name, negative result, the guest’s name, and date and time the test was taken. Costs associated with this test are the guests' responsibility.
  • Telehealth self-tests taken at home will be accepted provided the following requirements are met:
  • The test must have Emergency Use Authorization from the U.S. FDA
  • The self-test process must happen under live supervision on a video call with a telehealth representative
  • The telehealth provider must issue you a result document that includes all the necessary information
  • Note that this test kit must be shipped to your home in most cases and may take up to 5 business days to arrive (in the U.S.) after you order.
Edited by pghflyer

5 hours ago, MrsFops&FopsC5 said:

I am now totally confused.  Sorry for the question but if a NAAT test is a PCR test for say Princess why is it not for MSC?  Princess site did show an update effective 12/15.  I just hope someone can tell me what test we need.   We are on the 1/15 sailing on Seashore.  I am so confused 😢😢😢🤪🤪🤪. Thank you

I’m sailing on seashore the week before you. We sailed on Divina Nov 14th and we used the at home Binax now ag card tele monitored test. 

It was easy and we had control of when we would take the test and within 15 min we had the results in an email which we printed out (not necessary but I wanted a paper copy)

I didn’t want the stress of trying to get a Covid test appt in FL. I wanted full control and that’s what the at home test provided for us. 

The first tests I ordered from emed.com (6 for $150)

and the second set I ordered from optum.com (2 for $69) 

I called MSC this morning and in the recorded information for cruises leaving the US that you must listen to before getting to a representative, when it listed the acceptable Covid tests for vaccinated passengers it did say NAAT. Also, in talking to my son who works in a hospital lab he verified that the Rapid Dianostic Test ID NOW given by Walgreens is a PCR test which means it is also NAAT (as the RT- PCR tests are). It is a more accurate test than an antigen test, which is why the antigen test is not accepted for not vaccinated guests. We have an appt. tomorrow for the rapid test at Walgreens so fingers crossed the MSC people checking us in don't question it. We had no problem using that test in October when we cruised on Divina.

UPDATE:  We board the Meraviglia on Sunday and I just got a text from MSC with a reminder of the check-in time and documents needed. I can't figure out how to copy the text to here, but the pertinent part clearly says "All guests age 12+ are required to be fully vaccinated and provide physical proof of vaccination status, along with a negative RT-PCR, other nucleic acid amplification NAAT, or negative antigen test taken within 2 days of embarkation."

At least for now I think this answers our concerns.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 40yearcruiser said:

UPDATE:  We board the Meraviglia on Sunday and I just got a text from MSC with a reminder of the check-in time and documents needed. I can't figure out how to copy the text to here, but the pertinent part clearly says "All guests age 12+ are required to be fully vaccinated and provide physical proof of vaccination status, along with a negative RT-PCR, other nucleic acid amplification NAAT, or negative antigen test taken within 2 days of embarkation."

At least for now I think this answers our concerns.

Have a great cruise!

Going to post this link again for anyone interested and sailing from Port Canaveral. It's the Orange County Florida testing site in Orlando. It's open 7 days a week from 9-4. You do NOT have to be a resident to go here but you do have to register online. Very efficient and quick for the Antigen test. Got there about 8:45 and there were about 50 cars ahead of us. They opened at 9am and only took about 15 minutes to get to the 4 tents they had set up. You never get out of your car. Had the results sent to our phones 20 minutes later. Here is the link.

https://www.ocfl.net/EmergencySafety/Coronavirus/Testing.aspx#.Yb3Vp1lOnct

• Like 2

For anyone considering the BinaxNow home test and concerned about the expiration date issue (expired kits with the date extended only until early February).  Even though there is still a caveat on the Optum website saying that you may received kits that expire then, we

JUST RECEIVED A NEWLY MANUFACTURED 3 PACK TEST KIT!

Ordered through the Optum store on December 15th.

Delivered on December 17.

Manufacture Date:  2021-12-03.

Expiration Date: 2022-10-13.

I hope this is a sign that the 'expired' tests inventory is now empty.

We had ordered them in case we can't get a free test at Walgreens or CVS on New Years Eve or New Years Day for our January 2 cruise realizing if I was successful I was blowing $99 (3 pack price) on the BinaxNow that would expire a month later.  Now we have a backup for 2 more future cruises booked for March and July 2022.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Miami Dade county has several locations that offer PCR test.

I'm trying to figure out if this is any different than what MSC requires where it says RT-PCR and not just PCR.

If I do the PCR test for my 9 year old, does anyone know if it would be accepted? Or is it totally different than what they are looking for when they say **RT**-PCR.

Please respond if anyone knows. Thanks!

Edited by dlbosfo

59 minutes ago, dlbosfo said:

Miami Dade county has several locations that offer PCR test.

I'm trying to figure out if this is any different than what MSC requires where it says RT-PCR and not just PCR.

If I do the PCR test for my 9 year old, does anyone know if it would be accepted? Or is it totally different than what they are looking for when they say **RT**-PCR.

Please respond if anyone knows. Thanks!

It states unvaccinated under 12 must have a “RT- PCR”

One difference between RT PCR and PCR is the RT sample is sent to a lab and takes 2-3 days (or more in our state currently) for results. It is said to be the most accurate. 

The PCR is a rapid test which gives you results in 15-30 min. 

So if MSC states a specific test for that age group then I would be sure to get that test so you won’t be turned away. 

Here’s a link that explains the scientific differences 

https://www.enzolifesciences.com/science-center/technotes/2017/march/what-are-the-differences-between-pcr-rt-pcr-qpcr-and-rt-qpcr?/

Edited by styles27

Wouldn’t it be nice if they just list what tests they’ll accept vs only the technologies?  I thought Hawaii was PIA before they opened up, but I knew exactly what they’d accept since they listed tests done at Xyz pharmacies…

but perhaps not. Since there’s so many more testing options than ever before and I’m sure folks won’t be happy if ABC test isn’t listed. 

Edited by FrostyJoe
  • Like 1