NCL Changed Amenities on Joy Suites

vacation44

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The OP was NEVER promised Haven access. 

Since the refit (2019-2020), suites on the Joy are are offered breakfast and lunch in La Cucina (not the Haven Restaurant), no dinner, a concierge (different that the full concierge staff in the Haven), no butler. For the past couple of months, since restart, Joy Suites have included Butler service (to be more consistent with suites on small ships). Now the OP has made a accusation, with no basis, that the benefits have changed. It maybe just the new website which provides less information about the rooms. Haven also does not list these perks, just a description of the room now... just like the suites....

The new website clearly lists all of the amenities of the Haven.  Actually twice--once when you click Haven and then again for each Haven cabin category.  The new website no longer lists the amenities of the suites as it did yesterday morning.   

This change, along with a confusing conversation with NCL, as well as an online chat, is my basis that these amenities are no longer offered.  Why suddenly change the website?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, susique said:

They did on the new website.  Just about everything but Haven access.  Now they say (verified by pre-cruise concierge) that no breakfast/lunch, treats, priority embarkation/debarkation.  They do say you get plush bathrobes.  The description changed stating right after Thanksgiving.  1st no butler, then the  breakfast/lunch in LaCucina.  I sent the proof to NCL in a letter and they did not respond.   I am not very good at attaching stuff.  I hope you can read this.  It was taken on November 9th 2021

12B97286-3B15-4498-A12F-ED38A687A0CC.jpeg

Thank you for posting this snapshot.   I will include it in my next email. 

I take it you have not heard back from NCL today either.  

8 hours ago, vacation44 said:

Thank you for posting this snapshot.   I will include it in my next email. 

I take it you have not heard back from NCL today either.  

Not so far.  I put this in my letter with how easy it was to find.  Right on the page in booking.  You just went to the Joy booking.  Past choosing a date and cabin type, there was a section called Staterooms.  You clicked the type and there it was.  Not hidden and not hard at all to find.  I think that is the same thing the agents that I called got the info.

I also find it interesting that when you go to book the Prima online, all of the amenities that are suppose to be included with the Joy suites are still listed as amenities included in their Prima suites.  Prima, like the Joy, has both separate Suite and Haven categories.    

Just spoke again to NCL.  This time I called the reservation number to inquire about a new booking.  I asked about the amenities included in the Joy non-Haven Suites and was read off a list which was identical to the list of the amenities that were included when we booked.  I then questioned why these amenities are not included on the website when booking.   She put me on hold for a while, then came back and said the majority of the amenities are no longer included.   She did not know when or why they were changed.  

26 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

Just spoke again to NCL.  This time I called the reservation number to inquire about a new booking.  I asked about the amenities included in the Joy non-Haven Suites and was read off a list which was identical to the list of the amenities that were included when we booked.  I then questioned why these amenities are not included on the website when booking.   She put me on hold for a while, then came back and said the majority of the amenities are no longer included.   She did not know when or why they were changed.  

A majority?   I think she meant to say ALL.  This is really crappy.  I wonder what all the cruisers before us said after they found out when they boarded.    We tried to find out before final payment but no word yet from them.   I guess they think we would be ok with it.  They just tried to smooth it over by quietly changing the website.  But we are not going to just go away.   They should compensate for their mistake.    Some of the amenities we would not use anyway,   BUT--we did pay for them.

Are you thinking about changing cabins or upgrading?  At least you still have a couple of days to do so.

5 minutes ago, madgran said:

A majority?   I think she meant to say ALL.  This is really crappy.  I wonder what all the cruisers before us said after they found out when they boarded.    We tried to find out before final payment but no word yet from them.   I guess they think we would be ok with it.  They just tried to smooth it over by quietly changing the website.  But we are not going to just go away.   They should compensate for their mistake.    Some of the amenities we would not use anyway,   BUT--we did pay for them.

Are you thinking about changing cabins or upgrading?  At least you still have a couple of days to do so.

Yes, I am thinking of going back to the original cabin that I booked which was a Club Balcony Suite with Large Balcony.  It will save us around $1200.  My husband just wants to cancel and do a land base vacation so there will be a lot of debate this weekend.    We were also not planning on using a lot of the amenities, however, like you, we paid for them.  

I am also surprised there has not been any more talk about this issue from past, current and future cruisers.   It does (did) affect a lot of cabins and it is a very big change that, in my mind, is unethical.  

1 minute ago, vacation44 said:

Yes, I am thinking of going back to the original cabin that I booked which was a Club Balcony Suite with Large Balcony.  It will save us around $1200.  My husband just wants to cancel and do a land base vacation so there will be a lot of debate this weekend.    We were also not planning on using a lot of the amenities, however, like you, we paid for them.  

I am also surprised there has not been any more talk about this issue from past, current and future cruisers.   It does (did) affect a lot of cabins and it is a very big change that, in my mind, is unethical.  

Well to be fair, not all cruisers see or post on CC.  Maybe they are making a stink and that is why NCL changed the website THIS WEEK.

1 hour ago, vacation44 said:

If you do decide to sail and haven't received any response from NCL, I would speak to the latitude rep onboard and tell them how unhappy you are about this change in amenities.  They probably can't do much but may try to do something for you onboard.  It's worth a shot.

Good luck and try not to let this ruin your vacation.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, vacation44 said:

So wait a minute, you talked to an NCL rep on the phone and got two completely different answers to the exact same question?  This has to be a first......................

• Haha 1

On 12/8/2021 at 8:26 AM, goldmom said:

Not sure if this will help or not, but try e-mailing vicepresidentguestservices@ncl.com.  Explain your problem politely and ask them for a resolution.  I've e-mailed them before and usually get a reply back in a day or so.  Sometimes it's just a stock answer and sometimes it's an actually solution.  At least then you'll also have something in writing from corporate if they tell you that you'd still be entitled to those perks.

Good luck!  

Thank you, again, for the e-mail address.

I did receive a reply this morning.  Fortunately, they answered all of my questions.  Unfortunately, we are correct and the majority of the amenities that were suppose to be included when we booked are no longer included.    

2 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

Thank you, again, for the e-mail address.

I did receive a reply this morning.  Fortunately, they answered all of my questions.  Unfortunately, we are correct and the majority of the amenities that were suppose to be included when we booked are no longer included.    

I'm sorry to hear that, but glad the e-mail address was helpful.  At least now you have a definitive answer even if it isn't the one you wanted.

Hopefully, you'll be able to put this disappointment behind you and enjoy your cruise.

NCL's customer service continues to sink.

You said you are before final payment, cancel and take the club balcony or another cruise line. They should of at the least offered you a nice OBC.

Great way to treat customers willing to jump through all the covid19 hoops to cruise. 

• 3 months later...

incUGH we JUST booked one of these Suites on the Joy yesterday for a sailing coming up in a month so cannot cancel. This removal of the amenities makes no sense. I never even thought to check because we were just on the Gem in December outside the Haven and had full suite amenities as usual.

This in addition to yet another email from NCL noting an increase in gratuities, our service and food on the Getaway in the Haven last week being subpar has us wondering what's going on at NCL.

Since there will no longer be a butler or breakfast/lunch included, does anyone know if the room service charge is still waived?  This is what I see on the NCL website today:

Room Service

Available 24 hours a day, simply pick up the phone and order breakfast, lunch, dinner or late-night munchies. A room service fee of $9.95 will be added to your check (Except Continental Breakfast until 10am and Suite Guests at all times). A 20% gratuity and beverage service charge will be added to your check.

• Price Per Person: Room Service Fee of $9.95 USD may apply.

You get 2 "free" deliveries of room service from the regular room service menu.  Almost the same amenities as a club balcony.  The concierge is not the same as the haven one but may help with reservations.  I decided it was just a deluxe club balcony.  We paid a lot for the cabin (2 bedroom inside).  The price kept getting lower, we upgraded to a HH for just $850.00 total.  It was almost the same price as the starting bid.  I am still angry about a lot of this.  It took a lot of talk, emails and a long letter to corporate to get a straight answer.  We did receive a $200.00 OBC after emailing the VP of guest services.  I think the email address is listed above.

I hope this removal of perks from Joy suites is not universal. Just a few weeks ago I confirmed with TA for upcoming Pearl aft suite non Haven cruise that priority embark/disembark and private breakfast and lunch restaurant was included. Only thing we wouldn't get is access to Haven pool and sundeck. Pearl has no Haven restaurant.

16 minutes ago, meglet said:

I hope this removal of perks from Joy suites is not universal. Just a few weeks ago I confirmed with TA for upcoming Pearl aft suite non Haven cruise that priority embark/disembark and private breakfast and lunch restaurant was included. Only thing we wouldn't get is access to Haven pool and sundeck. Pearl has no Haven restaurant.

Recently NCL announced that the Prima's MDR menu would become a fixed menu that doesn't change throughout the cruise, and that this change would likely be spread to other ships in the fleet over time. I suspect this may be a similar situation in that they are trying out a change on one ship, and if the experience doesn't generate much backlash or other issues we'll see them mirror the change on other ships over time.

The MDR change is too visible for them to try to just sneak it in, so they have to be more open about it. But, this change in benefit levels to only a handful of suites is something they may be hoping to do more stealthily rather than openly acknowledge and discuss it.

On 12/8/2021 at 3:50 PM, BirdTravels said:

The OP was NEVER promised Haven access. 

Since the refit (2019-2020), suites on the Joy are are offered breakfast and lunch in La Cucina (not the Haven Restaurant), no dinner, a concierge (different that the full concierge staff in the Haven), no butler. For the past couple of months, since restart, Joy Suites have included Butler service (to be more consistent with suites on small ships). Now the OP has made a accusation, with no basis, that the benefits have changed. It maybe just the new website which provides less information about the rooms. Haven also does not list these perks, just a description of the room now... just like the suites....

I know you are an expert on here and know a lot of the ins and outs, but this response did not come across well. 

So...  Like a lot of you I was not happy about them taking away some of the amenities at the Suite level, I emailed them just to see what kind of response I would be.  I did receive a reply, but it left me scratching my head more than it did answering anything...

Here is my email:

Good Morning,

I just noticed that the amenities for a Penthouse Suite with Balcony was taken away on the Joy? 

I am comparing the differences from a Club Balcony and it seem you pay much more for a way cheaper set of amenities?  So is the comparative value of concierge service (which most of us already book our dining and shore excursions ahead of time), 2 bathrobes, better toiletries and “plusher” bed worth a $2000 difference as compared to what you get in a Club Level?

Am I missing some other amenities that I am not seeing?  I am not trying to be contrite or hostile, but it seems to me when I can get better amenities at the lower rate, why should I stay in a Penthouse suite?

Thank You,

Glenn

Their Reply:

Dear Glenn,

Thank you for your email and feed back regarding the categorizations of our suites on the Norwegian Joy.   

The club balcony suites are categories M4, M6,MA, MB & MC,  the suites are SP & SC, these have Concierge services for reservations and priority embarkation and disembarkation.   The Penthouse suite with balcony category HI is in the Haven and has all the haven perks included with it.  Obviously, the pricing on these cabins vary to reflect the amenities,  location, capacity etc.  The amenities also vary per ship, what is available in one category on one ship may not be included in a similar category on a different ship.  The amenities are listed on our deck plans per category of cabin to assist you with selecting the cabin type best suits what you are looking for.  

We hope this helps explain the different pricing in the different types of cabins and amenities, if you have any questions please call our reservations department where our agents will be happy to assist you.

Kind regards, 
Sonia Breathwit on behalf of Katty Byrd.

31 minutes ago, kgmorris said:

So...  Like a lot of you I was not happy about them taking away some of the amenities at the Suite level, I emailed them just to see what kind of response I would be.  I did receive a reply, but it left me scratching my head more than it did answering anything...

Here is my email:

Good Morning,

I just noticed that the amenities for a Penthouse Suite with Balcony was taken away on the Joy? 

I am comparing the differences from a Club Balcony and it seem you pay much more for a way cheaper set of amenities?  So is the comparative value of concierge service (which most of us already book our dining and shore excursions ahead of time), 2 bathrobes, better toiletries and “plusher” bed worth a $2000 difference as compared to what you get in a Club Level?

Am I missing some other amenities that I am not seeing?  I am not trying to be contrite or hostile, but it seems to me when I can get better amenities at the lower rate, why should I stay in a Penthouse suite?

Thank You,

Glenn

Their Reply:

Dear Glenn,

Thank you for your email and feed back regarding the categorizations of our suites on the Norwegian Joy.   

The club balcony suites are categories M4, M6,MA, MB & MC,  the suites are SP & SC, these have Concierge services for reservations and priority embarkation and disembarkation.   The Penthouse suite with balcony category HI is in the Haven and has all the haven perks included with it.  Obviously, the pricing on these cabins vary to reflect the amenities,  location, capacity etc.  The amenities also vary per ship, what is available in one category on one ship may not be included in a similar category on a different ship.  The amenities are listed on our deck plans per category of cabin to assist you with selecting the cabin type best suits what you are looking for.  

We hope this helps explain the different pricing in the different types of cabins and amenities, if you have any questions please call our reservations department where our agents will be happy to assist you.

Kind regards, 

I think your email is well written and their email basically provides not much information other than telling you the information is online.   Which cracks me up because when we originally booked, the information online included all of the additional amenities.

Did you book one of the Joy suites before the change?   If so, I would write again as we were given $200 OBC.

Also, when I was going through my frustration, I was told at one point the change was due to lack of staffing.   

• Like 2

On 4/5/2022 at 9:08 AM, kgmorris said:

Here is my email:

Good Morning,

Thank You,

Glenn

Their Reply:

Dear Glenn,

Kind regards, 

To add insult to injury: The daily service charge for these two fake "suite" categories is $20pp/pd just like the haven.

That is some bs if you ask me (which nobody has 🥴)

Wonder if Katty Byrd has another crapolo response for that.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, cruiseinfoseeker said:

To add insult to injury: The daily service charge for these two fake "suite" categories is $20pp/pd just like the haven.

That is some bs if you ask me (which nobody has 🥴)

Wonder if Katty Byrd has another crapolo response for that.

Good point.

We actually reserved another one for a 5 day Bermuda cruise in September; however, this time I am fully aware of all of the amenities we will NOT be receiving.    Anyway, I repriced it on Saturday for a $485 price reduction and the daily service charge is still showing as $18.50 when I thought the new rates were suppose to be taken effect with new bookings April 1st.  

57 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

Good point.

We actually reserved another one for a 5 day Bermuda cruise in September; however, this time I am fully aware of all of the amenities we will NOT be receiving.    Anyway, I repriced it on Saturday for a $485 price reduction and the daily service charge is still showing as $18.50 when I thought the new rates were suppose to be taken effect with new bookings April 1st.  

Not sure why, but I just prepaid mine and it was certainly $20 pp/pd

I booked 4/1👎

21 minutes ago, cruiseinfoseeker said:

Not sure why, but I just prepaid mine and it was certainly $20 pp/pd

I booked 4/1👎

I just rechecked and mine is still showing up a total of $185.  Maybe since it was a price adjustment from our original booking a few weeks ago, the old rate stayed.   I am foolishly hoping they re-instate the old included amenities one day.