Maui excursions?

thefog

On 2/6/2022 at 12:11 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

There is a sign just before the Olivine Pools (coming from Kaanapali) which states you are leaving a state highway. I'll grab a pic of it next time I'm up there. 

We were there last week and ran into a group of 4 who came from Kahalui and were an absolute mess. Seriously, the lady was about in tears. The guy said he has never driven on anything so treacherous. I agree that this northern stretch is more challenging than Road to Hana. I personally don't find the road to Hana all that terrible, but many do. I do know that locals very much prefer you avoid the road since they need to use it every day and it's largely one lane.

I was there last year when the crew brought up this car from a wreck on a flatbed. Other than the metal being blue, the car was unrecognizable :(. https://www.khon2.com/local-news/maui-woman-dies-after-car-swerves-off-cliff-on-kahekili-highway/

Is it gorgeous, absolutely! Is it advisable for someone coming on a one day cruise stop? I don't believe so. Not only is the road itself challenging, but it places you on the west side of the island where crossing the Pali back to Kahalui in a timely fashion can be an issue. 

I just found this..... 

image.png.b38db09d71e0e03c62d0e184cfea9a7d.png

https://wowtravel.me/most-dangerous-road-in-the-us/#h-kahekili-highway-hawaii

There are many great drives on Maui. If you really want to see the North coast, it is reasonable to drive from Kaanapali to the Olivine Pools and make that your turn around point. That is what I would recommend.

I'd like to see a recent pic of the sign you mentioned. I just went over the route quickly in both directions with Google street view and only saw the sign stating "Begin State Highway" heading towards Kaanapali. That's around the place where 340 changes to 30 (which is what the sign is indicating). Lots of "No Shoulder" signs and single lane bridges - but nothing mentioning much else... And lots of fruit and banana bread stands!

I love that road - but like I said, I'm a driver. Even in a FWD rental car - it's an incredible drive. Having said that - I'm not much of a fan of the Road to Hana. Seemed to go on and on and far too many tourists. But 30/340 is busier each time I drive through and it's best to avoid the times when the school buses are running!

I do know that locals don't like tourists venturing into "local" areas! But unfortunately - that's part of getting to live in such a place.

On 2/6/2022 at 3:35 PM, scottca075 said:

I've been driving rentals on Maui for going on 40 years now and have never known those sections marked on the map to NOT be off-limits. They've used different language over the years, but every map I've ever gotten from Hertz, Avis or National always had those sections as off-limits. There are some rental car companies that don't have the restrictions, but all the majors do.

Here is a page from the Maui Drive Guide; it is essentially the same as all the rental car companies use, with variations in the language.

And it is a section of highway where non-residents are not especially welcome. Here is a typical section of the off-limits to rental cars road. The road is barely wide enough for one car, let alone two.

The link you provided is the reason why I've always verified with the rental car companies when I've driven those sections. I always checked when renting - in my experience, the info about rental companies stating you have to avoid those areas was old info did not apply when I was renting.

The Maui Revealed book (not popular with locals) basically says that the "driving here will void your rental agreement" is a myth (talking about the section past Hana) - due to the fact that the entire road is now fully paved and numbered (and therefore it IS an improved, by definition!)... And the reputation of the road is "very outdated".

Regarding the section past Kaanapali - Maui Revealed states: "Like the highway past Hana along the bottom of Haleakala, the drive along the top of West Maui suffers from a long out-of-date reputation.”

Both sections are recommended in the book - I'm VERY glad I read the book many years ago, otherwise I would have missed out.

But as always - YMMV. And read your rental agreement!

I drove the West Maui loop in January 2018 and would never do it again in a rental car unless I was sure they would honor the insurance if something happened over there. YMMV, read the rental car agreement!

9 hours ago, RobTheGob said:

The link you provided is the reason why I've always verified with the rental car companies when I've driven those sections.

The map was current as of a couple years ago (2019).

9 hours ago, RobTheGob said:

The Maui Revealed book (not popular with locals) basically says that the "driving here will void your rental agreement" is a myth (talking about the section past Hana) - due to the fact that the entire road is now fully paved and numbered (and therefore it IS an improved, by definition!)... And the reputation of the road is "very outdated".

The book is called Maui Reviled in Hawaii because the book led thousands of tourists to trespass on private property, killed several people by directing them to unsafe places without any warning and may be the first guidebook ever to be under consideration for banning by a state legislature.

The reputation of the road is not "outdated". To this day it is a very narrow,  very dangerous road intended for use by locals. On any given day no one knows what the condition will be.

But I get it. Tourists nowadays feel entitled to go anyplace they want, when they want and they don't care about laws or rules, let alone customary courtesy. It is all about what they want.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, RobTheGob said:

I'd like to see a recent pic of the sign you mentioned.

Here is the sign https://goo.gl/maps/L8XnU4KohN79zczE7

It is where the Mendes Ranch is.

10 hours ago, RobTheGob said:

I do know that locals don't like tourists venturing into "local" areas! But unfortunately - that's part of getting to live in such a place.

What an incredibly boorish, selfish attitude.

Hi we will be going on a Hawaii cruise in April and docking at Kahului on Maui, if things don't change.  What tour would you suggest taking from Kahului?  I looked at this and wondering if anyone has done a hop on hop off tour here.  

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/AttractionProductReview-g29220-d17330086-Morning_Hop_On_Hop_Off_Trolley_Shore_Excursion_Paia_Loop_from_Kahului_Harbor-Maui_H.html

1 hour ago, North Vancouver Cruiser said:

Hi we will be going on a Hawaii cruise in April and docking at Kahului on Maui, if things don't change.  What tour would you suggest taking from Kahului?  I looked at this and wondering if anyone has done a hop on hop off tour here.  

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/AttractionProductReview-g29220-d17330086-Morning_Hop_On_Hop_Off_Trolley_Shore_Excursion_Paia_Loop_from_Kahului_Harbor-Maui_H.html

There really isn't much a Hop on, Hop Off bus can show you in the Kahalui area. I definitely wouldn't take it.

On 2/10/2022 at 3:25 PM, North Vancouver Cruiser said:

Our April itinerary hasn't been changed from Lahaina yet - but we're expecting that to be the case. It's too bad because that's a great port to visit for a day trip. We're pretty sure the day we visit Maui is also going to change - so making any non-HAL plans is difficult.

A rental car is a great option on Maui - but we may end up just booking an transport excursion to Lahaina and let HAL worry about timing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RobTheGob said:

Our April itinerary hasn't been changed from Lahaina yet - but we're expecting that to be the case. It's too bad because that's a great port to visit for a day trip. We're pretty sure the day we visit Maui is also going to change - so making any non-HAL plans is difficult.

A rental car is a great option on Maui - but we may end up just booking an transport excursion to Lahaina and let HAL worry about timing.

Princess changed itinerary and offered Lahina on your excursion.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2022 at 4:50 AM, scottca075 said:

Here is the sign https://goo.gl/maps/L8XnU4KohN79zczE7

It is where the Mendes Ranch is.

What an incredibly boorish, selfish attitude.

Yep- that is the sign coming from Kahului. There is an identical sign when entering this section of the road coming from Kapalua. I should be up that way within the next 10 days and I will snap a photo 🙂

• Like 1

On 2/10/2022 at 6:25 PM, North Vancouver Cruiser said:

Paia is a funky little hippy town. Might be fun to walk around a bit there. I'm not a huge fan of Kanaha area, but in fairness I believe the county has moved the homeless population since last time I was there. Hookipa would be my favorite beach on that side of the island, but I'm far from an expert. I do agree with the recommendation to rent a car so you can see more. The little corner of Maui that the hop on hop off bus is visiting really isn't representative. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2022 at 6:02 PM, RobTheGob said:

I'd like to see a recent pic of the sign you mentioned. I just went over the route quickly in both directions with Google street view and only saw the sign stating "Begin State Highway" heading towards Kaanapali. 

Here you go. It’s located near mile marker 42. Coming from Kapalua it’s after Ohai Trail and before the Olivine pools.

5B4E455B-E705-4668-B466-F58D340C1410.thumb.jpeg.8f0017a44483d64580bf59e8eaabb039.jpeg

And on the return trip this sign is on the other side of the road from the “end state highway” sign. 

9229A23C-59E2-42AA-8555-F2889387ABC3.jpeg

• Like 1

On 2/27/2022 at 12:29 AM, BermudaBound2014 said:

Here you go. It’s located near mile marker 42. Coming from Kapalua it’s after Ohai Trail and before the Olivine pools.

5B4E455B-E705-4668-B466-F58D340C1410.thumb.jpeg.8f0017a44483d64580bf59e8eaabb039.jpeg

And on the return trip this sign is on the other side of the road from the “end state highway” sign. 

9229A23C-59E2-42AA-8555-F2889387ABC3.jpeg

Just as with the other pic posted - I don't see any thing in that sign that says "Road Closed" or anything close to that, also reinforced by the "Narrow Winding Road" sign.

These signs indicate you are leaving the state controlled sections of the highway - which lines up with the Hawaii DOT Maui State Roads and Highways website. The Maui county site indicates that any sections outside of the State jurisdiction are maintained by the respective county.

"The eastern part of Kahekili Highway is signed as Hawaii Route 340. The two highways together (340 & 30), plus a short stretch of Hawaii Route 32, complete the circular journey around West Maui."

But each to their own - these roads are beyond the abilities of many people...

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, RobTheGob said:

Just as with the other pic posted - I don't see any thing in that sign that says "Road Closed" or anything close to that, also reinforced by the "Narrow Winding Road" sign.

I'm not sure what you are referencing. No one ever mentioned a 'road closed' sign. I simply stated there was a sign saying you are leaving a state highway and offered to grab a pic......

image.png.547e2f44d78f06336f9c4d990c74c985.png

And then you asked to actually see the pic as proof because you couldn't find it. I provided the photo per your request.....

On 2/8/2022 at 11:02 PM, RobTheGob said:

I'd like to see a recent pic of the sign you mentioned. I just went over the route quickly in both directions with Google street view and only saw the sign stating "Begin State Highway" heading towards Kaanapali.

You are welcome 🙂

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RobTheGob said:

Just as with the other pic posted - I don't see any thing in that sign that says "Road Closed"

No one ever claimed the roads were closed. You said it was a state numbered road all the way around and therefore you could drive it without voiding your rental car contract.

I posted the rental car company's map they give out that show where you could drive. You claimed it was old, it wasn't.

Someone else pointed out they were not state roads all the way around and that there were signs that said so. You claimed to have never seen them.

Now when pictures are shown proving that it isn't a state road all the way around, and that therefore driving the roads would violate your rental car contract, you switch the claim to "well those signs don't say "road closed".

Nice try,

• Thanks 1