Anyone currently on QM2? Libraries , masks , ?

phillipahain

2 hours ago, kohl1957 said:

Well that is at odds with the current policy (Host Hattie's posting) so it seems, thankfully, it has been relaxed since your trip to allow no masks worn when "not moving around the ship" or "seated in the theater." 

Are you sure? I was under the impression it was still the same.

13 hours ago, kohl1957 said:

Well that is at odds with the current policy (Host Hattie's posting) so it seems, thankfully, it has been relaxed since your trip to allow no masks worn when "not moving around the ship" or "seated in the theater." 

But the quoted policy above by Hattie does say masks must be worn in the theatre.

Library is lending. People sitting in there reading do or don't wear masks at their own choice but must wear one to walk around and choose a book or place to sit. There was no regular testing for covid during our 12 days although you could purchase tests if they were required for ports.(I don't know if the staff have regular tests) As others have said masks are worn while upright inside & seated in the theatre (& planetarium) Hand sanitiser is squirted on you if you don't use the dispensers. You are asked to put your mask on if you call out a question or answer in the quizzes but the question masters do remove their masks for the duration of the quiz/presentations otherwise staff are all masked.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wenlyn said:

Library is lending. People sitting in there reading do or don't wear masks at their own choice but must wear one to walk around and choose a book or place to sit. There was no regular testing for covid during our 12 days although you could purchase tests if they were required for ports.(I don't know if the staff have regular tests) As others have said masks are worn while upright inside & seated in the theatre (& planetarium) Hand sanitiser is squirted on you if you don't use the dispensers. You are asked to put your mask on if you call out a question or answer in the quizzes but the question masters do remove their masks for the duration of the quiz/presentations otherwise staff are all masked.

Why the difference between walking around and sitting?  The library is an enclosed space, is it not?  So that someone sitting without a mask could as easily spread the virus as someone walking around.  Doesn't make sense to me.  I guess my trips to the library will be very few and very fast.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I would think that, if you wander around the library maskless and coughing, you could infect everybody.  While you are seated, especicially if socially distanced, there is less likely to be anyone in range of a coughing fit.

You don't have to cough to spread the virus, just breathing does it.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, comcox said:

Why the difference between walking around and sitting?  The library is an enclosed space, is it not?  So that someone sitting without a mask could as easily spread the virus as someone walking around.  Doesn't make sense to me.  I guess my trips to the library will be very few and very fast.

You won't like the Carinthia lounge then as the spacing is unchanged between seats and tables. and people spend ages sitting maskless in there.

We did notice on the cabin decks doors were opened often including balcony doors while rooms were cleaned presumably to help with airflow.

The other big change is you can't sit or stand at any bar (which my husband missed as he's tall and too much sitting aggravates his back.

I would say measures are working because there were fewer people coughing on board than you usually notice at the end of a TA so if the 'cunard cough'' isn't spreading nothing else is either 

Wenlyn

Really good to hear how it is onboard.. good and bad. Oh yes that Cunard cough on the long cruises. Ha ha. Seems a long time ago. 
Your info will help us make a decision, before we pay the final balance. Thank you. 

Hi all,

I’m in my ‘state room’ writing this. We are in a magnificent Force 11 gale with very rough seas-it’s wonderful. The ship is listing heavily to port due to powerful northerly winds-woo hoo!!!! I have to go uphill to the toilet! The Captain has been ‘on’ with assurances. 😉

Most folks are walking around the ship in masks, as are most folks sitting in the library, and the several lounges. Masks are required in the theaters. 

No more checks to sign-no touch, nor is there literature  that can be handled available. The library is functioning normally. Incidentally the future voyage  sales office informs that late 2023 schedules will be available around Easter. Personally, I think there is nervousness about COVID and its ‘children’. There should be.

One cannot sit at any of the bars- you have to take a chair-and sections of cabins are blocked off for quarantine on several passenger decks. 

Numbers of staff are back and they are very glad to see past passengers. YoYo is coming back January  for the coming months.  

The new procedure for 2nd seating seems to be working well. You make a reservation for the time when you want to eat, it worked for me-so far.  

I’m at a very nice table with two British couples and a gent who is a train driver on the Southwestern Railway. A majority of passengers are continuing on to the West Indies-as is yours truly. We were informed last week that we will not be calling at Dominica-port closed to cruises. 

It’s GREAT to be back onboard. We will be in New York for two days for CoastGuard inspections-Cunard are offering a number of shore excursions. 

Now let me sound off 😠

Embarkation was a ‘pigs breakfast: 

It was cold and drizzly at Ocean Terminal. Nevertheless we were obliged to line up out of doors in the cold and drizzle to have our pre-embarkation Covid tests. Then when we got inside there was an endless ‘crocodile’ back and forth line-up. There were NOT ENOUGH testing personnel for the huge numbers; then we had to go go up to the departure area and await out results. At least there we could sit down.   Now despite my age I am fairly robust, but many folks on this crossing are of much ‘riper years’ and in not a few cases frail.  It took hours. I was on the transfer from Heathrow -having just endured an exhausting overnight overseas flight-the transfer itself was well handled. . So many were already ‘wiped-out’ when we got off the planes-then a1 1/2 hour bus trip to Southampton. That was the only way to avoid UK ‘quarantine’ - to do a direct transfer and be ‘exempt’. I had not done such an overnight flight to a ship in 30 years-I will not do it again.Talk about ‘jet lag!!! I went to bed after unpacking and I only began to feel normal yesterday☹️ 

I think that CUNARD and ABP really messed up - to subject elderly passengers to such a situation was inhumane. 

I did speak to the Purser’s Office folks and to an Officer  and they all expressed real dismay at what they were being told about the situation in the terminal-I hope that there are no repeat performances.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, canoncruiser said:

Hi all,

I’m in my ‘state room’ writing this. We are in a magnificent Force 11 gale with very rough seas-it’s wonderful. The ship is listing heavily to port due to powerful northerly winds-woo hoo!!!! I have to go uphill to the toilet! The Captain has been ‘on’ with assurances. 😉

Most folks are walking around the ship in masks, as are most folks sitting in the library, and the several lounges. Masks are required in the theaters. 

No more checks to sign-no touch, nor is there literature  that can be handled available. The library is functioning normally. Incidentally the future voyage  sales office informs that late 2023 schedules will be available around Easter. Personally, I think there is nervousness about COVID and its ‘children’. There should be.

One cannot sit at any of the bars- you have to take a chair-and sections of cabins are blocked off for quarantine on several passenger decks. 

Numbers of staff are back and they are very glad to see past passengers. YoYo is coming back January  for the coming months.  

The new procedure for 2nd seating seems to be working well. You make a reservation for the time when you want to eat, it worked for me-so far.  

I’m at a very nice table with two British couples and a gent who is a train driver on the Southwestern Railway. A majority of passengers are continuing on to the West Indies-as is yours truly. We were informed last week that we will not be calling at Dominica-port closed to cruises. 

It’s GREAT to be back onboard. We will be in New York for two days for CoastGuard inspections-Cunard are offering a number of shore excursions. 

Now let me sound off 😠

It was cold and drizzly at Ocean Terminal. Nevertheless we were obliged to line up out of doors in the cold and drizzle to have our pre-embarkation Covid tests. Then when we got inside there was an endless ‘crocodile’ back and forth line-up. There were NOT ENOUGH testing personnel for the huge numbers; then we had to go go up to the departure area and await out results. At least there we could sit down.   Now despite my age I am fairly robust, but many folks on this crossing are of much ‘riper years’ and in not a few cases frail.  It took hours. I was on the transfer from Heathrow -having just endured an exhausting overnight overseas flight-the transfer itself was well handled. . So many were already ‘wiped-out’ when we got off the planes-then a1 1/2 hour bus trip to Southampton. That was the only way to avoid UK ‘quarantine’ - to do a direct transfer and be ‘exempt’. I had not done such an overnight flight to a ship in 30 years-I will not do it again.Talk about ‘jet lag!!! I went to bed after unpacking and I only began to feel normal yesterday☹️ 

I think that CUNARD and ABP really messed up - to subject elderly passengers to such a situation was inhumane. 

I did speak to the Purser’s Office folks and to an Officer  and they all expressed real dismay at what they were being told about the situation in the terminal-I hope that there are no repeat performances.

Wow¬ please keep us update with all the unfoldments! I'm on QM2 10th Jan and I wanna holiday! Lol

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much for all the information on your current cruise.  I am on the Jan 3rd crossing where we do have the advantage, I suppose, of having to get ourselves tested before even getting the the Brooklyn terminal.  Glad to hear most folks are wearing masks as well.  And, like you, I would love a good rocking-n-rolling day or two on board.

I'm not happy to hear about the mess in boarding at Southampton, though, as I am booked to sail from there on QE2 Jan. 18th.  I hope they realize the mess it is and put in some improvements.  I wish they would use the procedure that Brooklyn is using as there are at least two or three places in Southampton one could get a supervised test the day before boarding.

14 hours ago, canoncruiser said:

Hi all,

Now let me sound off 😠

So where do you suggest that those that arrive directly at the terminal get tested this has been the procedure from the restart of cruising in August. UK passengers arriving by car and parking with CPS are tested away from terminal in a drive through marquee at Mayflower Terminal and then drive to Ocean Terminal and proceed directly into terminal to await result of LFT. The situation you encountered is for those arriving by taxi, coach or foot passengers and has worked well up until now but obviously coming from US a long flight and transfer is exhausting but you have to be tested before you are allowed into Ocean Terminal and the system in place seems to be the only solution available.

2 hours ago, comcox said:

I'm not happy to hear about the mess in boarding at Southampton, though, as I am booked to sail from there on QE2 Jan. 18th.  I hope they realize the mess it is and put in some improvements.  I wish they would use the procedure that Brooklyn is using as there are at least two or three places in Southampton one could get a supervised test the day before boarding.

It might be inconvenient but it's much safer to have a test the day of boarding.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

It might be inconvenient but it's much safer to have a test the day of boarding.

Actually I found one place in Southampton where I can get tested that morning, for a price of course.  

I was surprised about the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal not testing at embarkation1-, but Cunard asking for pre arrival testing 1-2 days before.  When I sailed out of Manhattan Cruise Terminal in November (different cruise line), we tested at the terminal.

Well, we are all waiting for our test results; which took place this AM in the Queen’s Room. Long lines but they moved along smartly and there were chairs and a water station.  

The passenger list is heavy with pale Brits who urgently seek the sun-BRACE UP WE’LL GET THERE SOON!

Alas my luck did not hold as the full force of the 'dine when you please’ at 2nd Seating came on. On the third night I ended up at a table next to a very unpleasant drunk-I wondered why there was a tense atmosphere as I sat down-then it became clear. When I realized the situation - his partner was just plain unpleasant-I left. I ended up at a table of very nice folks and enjoyed my meal. There are blessings and curses to the new system!

Last night I ate in the Verandah-very good-sparsly populated-pricey, but worth it.

There will be a return to Asian dinner cuisine in the starboard  section of the Kings Court that is used for 

specialty dining.Hooray-I love SouthAsian dishes😋

The weather has settled down to standard WNA  in which QM2 glides along. Stephen Payne’s talks were excellent, as were the other lectures.

Evening jazz in the Chartroom continues to be fine; service in all venues is excellent.

This morning there is a major renewal of pillows - vast cartons of them being brought up to the passenger corridors. We reach the Apple tomorrow. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, canoncruiser said:

Well, we are all waiting for our test results; which took place this AM in the Queen’s Room. Long lines but they moved along smartly and there were chairs and a water station.  

The passenger list is heavy with pale Brits who urgently seek the sun-BRACE UP WE’LL GET THERE SOON!

Alas my luck did not hold as the full force of the 'dine when you please’ at 2nd Seating came on. On the third night I ended up at a table next to a very unpleasant drunk-I wondered why there was a tense atmosphere as I sat down-then it became clear. When I realized the situation - his partner was just plain unpleasant-I left. I ended up at a table of very nice folks and enjoyed my meal. There are blessings and curses to the new system!

Last night I ate in the Verandah-very good-sparsly populated-pricey, but worth it.

There will be a return to Asian dinner cuisine in the starboard  section of the Kings Court that is used for 

specialty dining.Hooray-I love SouthAsian dishes😋

The weather has settled down to standard WNA  in which QM2 glides along. Stephen Payne’s talks were excellent, as were the other lectures.

Evening jazz in the Chartroom continues to be fine; service in all venues is excellent.

This morning there is a major renewal of pillows - vast cartons of them being brought up to the passenger corridors. We reach the Apple tomorrow. 

Thanks for the update. We are scheduled to board on Wednesday. A little antsy till we take our Covid test tomorrow and receive our Negative results. Then it will be time to pack

Sorry the 2nd seating was not going as well as expected. We have signed up for late seating and a table for two, first time. Hope we will not encounter any unpleasant guests nearby

Any indication of who the speakers will be on the Caribbean segment? 

How is the entertainment in the theatre, is it up to previous Cunard standards? 

We have never sailed knowing so little, but are so looking forward to the warm climate, escaping the Connecticut weather, and being among the fellow passengers

Hope your test was Negative and you can take a deep breath till the next one.

Hope we cross paths on board

Lorraine🙂