QM2 Spa area condition?

MCC retired

We are sailing QM2 on   December 22nd.  I read  facials  and massages  are available but the sauna steam  and  whirlpool are closed due to Covid.  Disappointing as I  read the entire spa  has been refurbished.  It is no longer Canyon Ranch.   

Mareel have taken over the spa. so there is a slightly different colour scheme. I had a treatment but didn't get to go in the pool area, glancing through the door there were rolled towels on the loungers but no signs of people in there. All the jacuzzis on the ship were off limits as they appear to be redoing the resin or something on all of them.

According to the original press release back in 2018, Mareel is "a new spa concept developed in partnership with wellness innovator Canyon Ranch." So I think Canyon Ranch is still on board the QM2, sort of, just operating under a new name and concept. Or does someone know that those original plans changed and Canyon Ranch is no longer involved?

• 2 weeks later...

If Canyon Ranch is involved, their name does not appear anywhere. All branding is 'Mareel'.

We just disembarked the QM2. The pool, steam room and sauna were all operating. The hot tub was not open; I didn't ask why. i was disappointed that (at least on our trip) you could not purchase a multi-day pass. You must book a specific 2-hour increment, at a cost of $35.

On 12/23/2021 at 5:29 PM, frankp01 said:

If Canyon Ranch is involved, their name does not appear anywhere. All branding is 'Mareel'.

We just disembarked the QM2. The pool, steam room and sauna were all operating. The hot tub was not open; I didn't ask why. i was disappointed that (at least on our trip) you could not purchase a multi-day pass. You must book a specific 2-hour increment, at a cost of $35.

I was onboard the 13-22 December crossing.  Spa passes were available for the entire crossing or by the day. The spa itself has not been upgraded--same facilities as before.

12 hours ago, EasternMarket said:

Spa passes were available for the entire crossing or by the day.

Were you quoted rates for those passes? We stopped in the spa on the first sea day, when we were told day or multi-day passes were no longer available, and that specific bookings had to be made. We were quoted $35 per 2 hour visit. Not knowing what the coming days' lectures would be, we did not want to commit to specific time blocks at that point.

Later in the trip we had a free afternoon. We had one of the $40 spa gift certificates that had been distributed (not sure who received them, as not everyone in our group received one). We tried to use the certificate and were told that they were only for spa treatments. The fee for using the aqua therapy facilities was $35, which corresponded with what we'd been told early on. There might have been a dozen passengers with us using the pool and steam/sauna rooms.

I really missed having the flexibility to use the aqua therapy facilities on demand (we usually buy the full voyage pass), so I'd like to hear if you spoke to the manager or someone who may have been more knowledgeable than all of the staff we encountered.

5 hours ago, frankp01 said:

Were you quoted rates for those passes?

Yes. I went to the spa on Dec 13th, shortly after boarding.  The spa pass for the whole crossing (9 nights) was about $250. (Much higher than in the past.) I was told that you did have to book a 2-hour slot on each day because they cleaned the spa area between the slots.