Can excursions completely sell out before sailing, or

mpcaruth

Do they hold a certain capacity for onboard bookings?  Can anyone confirm this with recent sailings, please?  We cruise next month and I am already seeing a few excursions listed as sold out online.  I am hoping to book my excursions once onboard to take advantage of using my OBC.

They do sell out but the same company that runs the ships excursion often run their own tours at the same time so research the excursion you are doing and see what other outside vendor is doing especially in Alaska and the Caribbean where touring on your own is allowed.

Yes indeed, excursions can sell out in advance.  For example, the cabanas at Half Moon Cay are seldom available for booking close to the cruise date.

After boarding, you can ask the Shore Excursions desk to put you on a waitlist for some excursions.   Cancellations have tended to be rare, but with all the uncertainties now with cruising, getting tested, etc., there is a higher chance.  

I prepurchased all my Excursions. When I reached out to the vendor they informed me that because I'm on a cruise they cannot sell me an independent excursion . Also the cost of the Carnival excursion is very similar. 

In Mazatlan I booked an excursion with another reputable company for a city tour and lunch for $50 for a longer tour. The Carnival tour was $40 for less time and no lunch and not a small group tour.

In Cabo I'm doing the Yacht Snorkel and Lunch Cruise which is a small group. In Puerto Vallarta I am going to a Private Villa with cooking class,tequila pairing with margaritas and chocolate tasting with tour of local market for $60 and Rhythms Of The Night for $150 with Open Bar.

I also book specialty dining for the first night Steakhouse, last night Cuchina Del Capitano and Chef's Table.

I am not a novice cruiser and I love booking everything in advance knowing that I have my budget set and especially with COVID capacity restrictions I don't want to be disappointed. Sometimes on board the cost is more. I also can be prioritized if an excursion is cancelled for rebooking. Why would Carnival prioritize those who book onboard vs those who booked in advance?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mpcaruth said:

Do they hold a certain capacity for onboard bookings?  Can anyone confirm this with recent sailings, please?  We cruise next month and I am already seeing a few excursions listed as sold out online.  I am hoping to book my excursions once onboard to take advantage of using my OBC.

Carnival needs to take Royal's lead by allowing you to use OBC for all pre cruise purchases or at the very least allow you to hold the tours for $15 on your Credit Card and apply the OBC onboard and bill the remainder to the CC.

Such a stupid practice if you ask me to screw those who want to use OBC like cash