Federal govt says not to travel internationally for min 4 weeks

bubbadogmom

Federal govt says not to travel internationally for min 4 weeks. They said they’d update the travel.gc.ca site within 2 hours. Are we just done then? Does this void all travel insurance if there is a travel advisory in place? After 2 years of not knowing if we could go, then last month things were looking good - I was SO EXCITED.  Is it just done then? 😔💔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

It depends on the travel insurance company. With Johnson Insurance, my group policy covers us with and without the travel advisory.

Can you confirm that PSHCP covers Covid medical as well or do I need to purchase Medoc as well?  I was going to anyway, but an early January cruise grabbed my attention and not sure I will have time to join the Association and buy the insurance in time. My cruise is with Princess and although I also purchased their insurance so that cancellation would be included, they are now testing on the pier after disembarking, which may mean quarantine costs would not be covered if I test positive. 

I am not risk averse, but this has me rethinking the cruise ☹️

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, bubbadogmom said:

Federal govt says not to travel internationally for min 4 weeks. They said they’d update the travel.gc.ca site within 2 hours. Are we just done then? Does this void all travel insurance if there is a travel advisory in place? After 2 years of not knowing if we could go, then last month things were looking good - I was SO EXCITED.  Is it just done then? 😔💔

Blue cross emergency medical coverage covers during advisories - we have this policy. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, bubbadogmom said:

Federal govt says not to travel internationally for min 4 weeks.

So those of us with Cruises in the next 4 weeks.  Are you going?    As of this moment we still plan to go.  More stress... ugh  😩🤷‍♀️

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bubbadogmom said:

They have advised not to travel, it's not a ban. Go enjoy yourself.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, mjox32 said:

So those of us with Cruises in the next 4 weeks.  Are you going?    As of this moment we still plan to go.  More stress... ugh  😩🤷‍♀️

We just made the very difficult decision to cancel our cruise for December 29th. It is so disappointing but personally, I just feel I need to adhere to the travel advisory. I am in no way criticizing those that still go ahead, is very much a personal decision. 

We did manage to sneak one in during November though. It was wonderful!  Our next cruise booked for February, fingers crossed!  

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, saltymac said:

Liverpoolfan181, I just checked by blue cross insurance in Alberta and its states you are not covered under an advisory. I would check with them.

Ah I see- I am in Ontario, where it is available under advisory- looks like different provincial policies. 

46 minutes ago, mjox32 said:

100% still going unless they full on close borders. Scheduled to depart Dec 28 to Orlando then board on January 8. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, waiting2retire said:

Can you confirm that PSHCP covers Covid medical as well or do I need to purchase Medoc as well?  I was going to anyway, but an early January cruise grabbed my attention and not sure I will have time to join the Association and buy the insurance in time. My cruise is with Princess and although I also purchased their insurance so that cancellation would be included, they are now testing on the pier after disembarking, which may mean quarantine costs would not be covered if I test positive. 

Yes, the PSHCP out-of-province coverage includes emergency medical costs associated to COVID. This article explains the coverage:  https://www.pshcp.ca/articles/out-of-province-benefit-travelling-in-times-of-covid-19/

If you have Princess travel insurance in addition to PSHCP coverage, I don't think that getting Medoc coverage is really necessary. That said, its coverage is higher. For example, the PSHCP will pay up to $5000,000 for medical expenses, whereas Medoc goes up to $10 million. 

As Medoc's coverage is annual, if you think that you might be travelling again next year, other than this cruise, it might be worth your while trying to rush a membership application through and acquiring the insurance. Remember, it covers you for out-of-province travel within Canada too. 

50 minutes ago, mjox32 said:

Well my cruise is on Jan. 15th, 2022 (Barely after the 4 week mark) and I just made final payment today. We still plan on going. I have Blue Cross Insurance and it is still valid. But will take advantage of Cruise with Confidence if things go absolutely sideways.

• Like 2

Decisions are personal and depends upon your risk tolerance.  We do not have a cruise until mid-year 2022, so do not have to make a decision at this time.  With both the new advisory to avoid non-essential travel outside Canada and the continued advisory to avoid cruise travel outside of Canada compounded with the difficultly in obtaining Trip Interruption and Cancellation insurance, we would choose not to travel at this time. 

• Like 2

We have a cruise booked out of Fort Lauderdale at the end of January and as it stands we still intend to go.  We will re-evaluate mid January, but it's hard to imagine a time when it will be safer for us to travel, we're both triple vaccinated.  If we can't travel now, then when can we travel, should fully vaccinated Canadians just accept that there will never be a "safe" time to travel.

• Like 6

I believe you'll find that Princess has not changed their policy, and their website still says that they do cover hotel and meals (up to a limit) if you test positive at their on-shore testing site. Their web site is not laid out very well and you have to dig for the wording, but it is there.  Note that it appears you would have to pay for it yourself then get reimbursed.

Can I book my own hotel if I am required to quarantine post-disembarkation before returning home?
Hotel accommodations will be arranged by Princess with one of our contracted hotel partners. Should you select a different hotel, you will be reimbursed only for the amount of the contracted hotel rate. Any incidental charges, costs related to room upgrades and additional room nights in excess of what is provided by Princess, requested or arranged by you, is your responsibility. Princess will provide hotel accommodations until a medical professional clears you to travel home.

1 hour ago, mjox32 said:

We were scheduled to leave home Monday for a cruise starting from Miami on the 21st.  Can't risk it with a hubby with asthma even though we're triple vax as even that's not stopping the newest variant.  However, Oceania says no refund regardless of the fact that our country now has an advisory against all non-essential travel and also cruise travel that could lead to strandings.  (These are the same advisories that were in place in 2020).  O doesn't plan to cancel any cruises unless they're made to.  We have read on another board that Carnival has already started refunds for Canadians. 

Edited by jean163

26 minutes ago, Happytobeme2 said:

We just made the very difficult decision to cancel our cruise for December 29th. It is so disappointing but personally, I just feel I need to adhere to the travel advisory. I am in no way criticizing those that still go ahead, is very much a personal decision. 

We did manage to sneak one in during November though. It was wonderful!  Our next cruise booked for February, fingers crossed!  

Will you lose your full payment?

23 minutes ago, jean163 said:

Will you lose your full payment?

We booked through a travel, agent, so just contacted him today to start the cancellation. Princess, on their website,  does say we are entitled to a FCC if government travel advisory comes into effect within 30 days of departure. So, we're hopeful!  Might lose our flight money though. We never seem to be able to use those airline credits!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ianj said:

We have a cruise booked out of Fort Lauderdale at the end of January and as it stands we still intend to go.  We will re-evaluate mid January, but it's hard to imagine a time when it will be safer for us to travel, we're both triple vaccinated.  If we can't travel now, then when can we travel, should fully vaccinated Canadians just accept that there will never be a "safe" time to travel.

My same thoughts.  We’re “going”. If they closed the border, we still get our money back as FCC. The only problem with that, Princess deadline to use your FCC is December 31, 2022. 

• Like 1

Thank you for the confirmation @Fouremco  I guess the real decision is a personal one now to balance my need for downtime after a difficult year with being a good Canadian/global citizen in following the advice of my government. 

I would not feel that you are not being a good Canadian/global citizen if you decide to travel.  Dr.  Tam today said that we already have community spread.   So the chances of catching/spreading the virus may very well be as great by staying in Canada than from travelling.   It all depends on what you do when you travel.  If you are going on a cruise and plan to self distance, you are probably safer and have less chance of catching/spreading the virus than if you are walking around an indoor mall in Canada.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

We are still planning on cruising on Jan 20, 2022.  Advisories not withstanding.  This doesn't come without a lot of thought and consideration.  It is our personal assessment of the risk.  I completely understand those who decide against it.