pre-cruise Covid tests at Miami International Airport

shark b8

Aloha, fellow cruisers, Captain Sharkbait here.  There was a previous thread regarding various options for Covid testing in the Miami area, I mentioned we were planning to use the facility at MIA, so here’s our experience for that specific narrowed option, for any who might want to know. We arrived from LAX several hours ago in Concourse D and walked about 15 minutes from baggage claim, on the lower level, to get to Concourse E, right around Door 10 or 11.  The testing facility is easy to see through the glass windows of the terminal, it’s actually across from the terminal itself so you take a crosswalk through the cars driving the circle, what you’re looking for is the photo below.  You register just outside the office, using your phone to scan a QR code, which takes you to the form to fill out - basic info, passport, destination for the needed test, etc.  We opted for the (more expensive) while-u-wait PCR test, with which you receive a printed hard copy of the results, as well as getting an email later (haven’t gotten it yet).   $175 for this option, $79 for the email only.  After registering, you are guided around the corner, where the nurse does the swab, then you wait - about 25 minutes in our case. Printed results, with, as I say, a promise of an email to come.  Compared to airport check-in and baggage claim today, it was actually relatively efficient and easy!

6BF44FB1-0492-44A9-8D26-2C5C50316EBF.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

shark b8,

Thank you for the clear description of the flow and also the photo. We will uber it there from downtown Miami on Sunday for tests before the Ovation cruise of Tuesday.

May I ask why you selected the expensive PCR test given that Seabourn requires an Antigen test? Just curious in case some rule has changed. Our Antigen test with letter done yesterday for us to board the plane in London for Miami today took less than 5 minutes after the form filling, and that would suit us fine.

Have a great cruise wherever you are headed.

Happy and healthy cruising!

I have reconsidered your situation since I sorta remember that maybe you are leaving Miami for Barbados and the Odyssey Christmas cruise. If so then the PCR test may be required by their authorities. Makes full sense.

Have a great time! If Peppi is the HD you will have terrific hospitality.

Happy and healthy sailing!

8 hours ago, markham said:

shark b8,

Thank you for the clear description of the flow and also the photo. We will uber it there from downtown Miami on Sunday for tests before the Ovation cruise of Tuesday.

Have a wonderful cruise Markham.  Mr. SLSD and I wish we were joining you.  

Yeah, PCR is the requirement for Barbados, and I chose the more expensive option….mostly because I’m somewhat OCD about these things. I liked the idea of having a printed version (which Barbados will accept) rather than relying on a promised later email. Which I still haven’t gotten, by the way, so….caveat emptor. 😎

• Like 1

On 12/16/2021 at 1:01 AM, markham said:

shark b8,

May I ask why you selected the expensive PCR test given that Seabourn requires an Antigen test? Just curious in case some rule has changed. Our Antigen test with letter done yesterday for us to board the plane in London for Miami today took less than 5 minutes after the form filling, and that would suit us fine.

Have a great cruise wherever you are headed.

Happy and healthy cruising!

The Sisters  are on the Ovation  sailing 12-21 and are excited to finally meet Markham ! You have provided a lot of wisdom over our many years on CC! Safe travels to you and our fellow cruisers!