I do not recommend the Abbott Binax NOW home test

Eli_6

On 12/16/2021 at 7:15 PM, GTO-Girl said:

All three times we took the tests we found it easier to use our phones……with no problems.

thats great all three of your tests were successful.

the reason for suggesting not to use a phone is that some phones would switch between the front camera and rear camera thus not allowing the evaluator to keep an eye on the patient's test, which in turn cancelled the test. by using a laptop/desktop this eliminated the chance of the camera switching.

23 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

When using technology and seeing different results from the same process, there are really tow potentials:  cockpit error or system processing speed (internet).  

"system processing speed (internet)"? maybe you meant connectivity (internet)? your system processing speed has little to no impact to the "(internet)".

I successfully and with no problems took this test at home on Thanksgiving, followed by a wonderful cruise on the Mardi Gras.  I nonetheless decided that I will take no further cruise vacations until I don't have to do this anymore.  My personality is such that I dislike the stress anticipating the test, and then having months of planning snd expenses determined by it two days out. No fault or blame, and I appreciate it's usefulness and convenience--it's just not for me.    

• Like 1

On 12/16/2021 at 8:47 AM, Eli_6 said:

We are needing to test two adults and two kids.  I started at 7 am and it is now 10:30 and only three of us have managed to test and we have been attempting to test this entire time on multiple different devices.  In total, I think we are at 7 or 8 attempts at trying. (And my husband is a physician so we aren't exactly unaware of how to take one of these things.)  Four times the person on the online program could not read our license/ID because they said we had poor camera quality.  (My husband and I both have $1500+ phones that are less than 6 months old.) Each time, we had to start our "wait" over again.  I have had the internet connection cut out after a test was opened and couldn't get them back on. (Thankfully, I did buy two extra tests.)  Some of the people who help you are difficult to understand and use incorrect words---like telling me to hold the card backwards when she meant to hold it away from the camera.  One guy told me to "calm down" when I was perfectly calm.  Then he told me to "quiet down."  I finally figured out that he was trying to tell me to turn the volume down on my phone . And I still have one more kid to do.  Sigh. Long story short: I wish I had driven to one of the Walgreens that does the 24 hours results rather than going through this. I didn't do it because the closest one that provides 24 hours results me is an hour away, but it would been easier than this.  

Definitely, if you do the Abbott Binax test, be 100 percent sure to buy extras.    

Android is the way to go 😁

6 hours ago, cyclist_guy1 said:

thats great all three of your tests were successful.

the reason for suggesting not to use a phone is that some phones would switch between the front camera and rear camera thus not allowing the evaluator to keep an eye on the patient's test, which in turn cancelled the test. by using a laptop/desktop this eliminated the chance of the camera switching.

There was a time it would switch to a back camera when showing our ID or needed for them to scan the QR code, but we simply held it up to the back of the phone.  The rest of the time we had no problem…..

So very sorry you had a problem with yours…

I did 6 tests at different times on my iPhone and could barely hear the proctor. Last week my brother and sister did theirs with us using android phones and the voice on both ends was very load and they had no problems. Going to use my old android phone next time.

On 12/17/2021 at 2:16 PM, Eli_6 said:

I am glad some of you did not have issues, but we sure as heck did.  It could have been connectivity issues as where we are living is not near a major city, but we normally don't have a problem with internet or cell phones.  Also, I suspect they are getting a lot more traffic with the holidays.  Apart from the connectivity issues, there was almost always a wait.  Most of the cruise ships are sailing at full capacity (or as full as they can legally get) for Christmas and NY whereas that has not always been the case. Plus, some people are flying and traveling and using this service to fly for the holidays (to different countries, etc.) and creating more traffic as well. So, the fact that you didn't have a wait two weeks ago or two months ago doesn't mean that I am exagerating now.  But the people traveling in the next two weeks and are depending on this service for their Christmas or New Years sailing need to be warned to basically allow a HALF DAY or more if they are going to use emed.com.  

I just did one (finished about 20 minutes ago) and waited less than five minutes. Sorry that it was busy when y'all were testing -- today was like every other proctored test I've done since October.  

We've used these several times.  It is almost impossible to hear the proctor.  Hubby and I both have brand new phones.  You can hear everything else, but it's near impossible to hear the person.  We got it done, but it's frustrating.  To the OP-hope you get all of your tests done without further frustration and enjoy your cruise!

Just ordered 4 of these tests as a back-up for our Dec 29 Miracle sailing.  We scheduled a drive-thru test at a CVS on the California-coastal drive to the port for the 27th to meet the 48-hour rule. We have 4 more cruises booked this year. Appreciate all the tips for when we end up needing to use them!  

3 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Ever read a negative review on a product and think "this sounds like user error?" and you never have that same issue? Sounds like this.

Had a family member use one yesterday without issue.

Its generally is user error

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2021 at 11:47 AM, Eli_6 said:

We are needing to test two adults and two kids.  I started at 7 am and it is now 10:30 and only three of us have managed to test and we have been attempting to test this entire time on multiple different devices.  In total, I think we are at 7 or 8 attempts at trying. (And my husband is a physician so we aren't exactly unaware of how to take one of these things.)  Four times the person on the online program could not read our license/ID because they said we had poor camera quality.  (My husband and I both have $1500+ phones that are less than 6 months old.) Each time, we had to start our "wait" over again.  I have had the internet connection cut out after a test was opened and couldn't get them back on. (Thankfully, I did buy two extra tests.)  Some of the people who help you are difficult to understand and use incorrect words---like telling me to hold the card backwards when she meant to hold it away from the camera.  One guy told me to "calm down" when I was perfectly calm.  Then he told me to "quiet down."  I finally figured out that he was trying to tell me to turn the volume down on my phone . And I still have one more kid to do.  Sigh. Long story short: I wish I had driven to one of the Walgreens that does the 24 hours results rather than going through this. I didn't do it because the closest one that provides 24 hours results me is an hour away, but it would been easier than this.  

Definitely, if you do the Abbott Binax test, be 100 percent sure to buy extras.    

I agree with you.  I began with my desktop and the proctor couldn't get a clear picture of my passport - I tried my drivers license and the same issue.  He said I should log back in on my phone - I did, and the new proctor couldn't get a clear picture of my drivers license for about five minutes - then he had me open the test kit and the service disconnected.  Fortunately, I called back from my desktop, the next proctor allowed me to continue - but it was still an effort getting an adequate scan of my license.  From that point forward it worked just fine.  I had plenty of light (even focused an additional lamp in the area to act as a ringlight) and it still took three different proctors to get a clear scan.

I run Verizon FIOS at home, have a Logitec webcam, and my phone is a Samsung A71 5G.  So I don't think its user error so much as the varying adequacy of the equipment/person at Emed.  If I ran the company I would have the ability for a user to attach his identification document to his log-in profile. Then the proctor could visually check the picture against the person taking the test and the "poor camera quality" wouldn't be an issue.  This is a relatively new technology and I'm sure things will improve over time.  So I'm not criticizing the test - I'm just supporting the OP because I too had issues with my test and not all of the proctors had particularly good "people skills".

As I posted in the Covid thread, I’ve used the Abbott BinaxNow AG kit twice now for my Nov & Dec cruises also use the OTC ones after a few days of arriving from my cruises, the eMed call was easy and went with no issues at all.

I used a new HP laptop with a crappy camera which shows a grainy picture but clear enough to see everything.

Its too had you’re having a tough time, like someone mentioned, more lighting helps, I turn on all lights and open up the window blinds.

Fred