Waiting for the other shoe to drop

dawei

3 hours ago, terrydtx said:

it is one boring place to spend even a day.

You must not have visited the "I Could Stay Here Forever" Bar.  Great views of the ocean, beach, and your ship while people watching and enjoying a cold, tropical beverage.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

You must not have visited the "I Could Stay Here Forever" Bar.  Great views of the ocean, beach, and your ship while people watching and enjoying a cold, tropical beverage.  

No I missed that bar, at my age and with all the Skin cancer issues I have from being a sun worshipper in my younger days, I no longer care much about beaches and the sun basking.

27 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

Having lived my first 18 years in Rochester, NY, I completely understand your feeling!  However, from my Florida point of view, 7 days off  HMC is a bore.  Actually, I find 1/2 day there a bore.  Each to his own!  I am afraid that having baked my skin on the shores of Lake Ontario for the first part of my life has soured me against further sun exposure; hence my disillusionment with beaches in general.

I feel and agree with your point of view, I grew up in Southern California and spent way too many days at the SoCal beaches, something I am paying dearly for now. In the 60's SPF sunscreen was unheard of, we had things like Coppertone, sea and Ski and cocoa butter to help us bake.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

No I missed that bar, at my age and with all the Skin cancer issues I have from being a sun worshipper in my younger days, I no longer care much about beaches and the sun basking.

I understand.  Never was a sun worshipper, but I am familiar with Basel Cell Skin Cancer.  The bar is well under roof, but, I am sure there is sunlight reflection off the beach that might be an issue.  I have to be careful as well and get frequent scoldings from my dermatologist that "you aren't wearing a hat often enough!"

2 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I understand.  Never was a sun worshipper, but I am familiar with Basel Cell Skin Cancer.  The bar is well under roof, but, I am sure there is sunlight reflection off the beach that might be an issue.  I have to be careful as well and get frequent scoldings from my dermatologist that "you aren't wearing a hat often enough!"

I wear a very wide brim hat when on the shore of excursions, but on a catamaran cruise in Aruba in August with SPF 60 sunscreen and my hat, I still got sun burned on my face, that water reflection thing is what got me.

3 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I wear a very wide brim hat when on the shore of excursions, but on a catamaran cruise in Aruba in August with SPF 60 sunscreen and my hat, I still got sun burned on my face, that water reflection thing is what got me.

There is little doubt in my mind that reflection of the water is as bad, if not worse, than direct exposure to the Sun.  Don't understand why that might be the case, but that has been my experience.  I bought a Tilley hat and it does help.  

Just off a Eurodam Dec 5-15 cruise that included Aruba, Curacao, and Half Moon Cay.

We also had docking issues are Aruba/Curacao - but they were able to just swapped the the 2 port days and all was well. HAL swapped their excursions. People with independent excursions had to scramble - heard a bit of grumbling - but that is the price you don't pay for not using HAL excursions.

Spent several hours on the beach at HMC, We bring a roll-up sun shade from NESTO as we cannot be in the direct sun. We go toward the end of the beach chairs and put it up over two of the loungers. Even then we can only be out there about 3 hours maximum. But we do really like it and look forward to getting back there - feels very safe (COVID wise that is).

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I feel and agree with your point of view, I grew up in Southern California and spent way too many days at the SoCal beaches, something I am paying dearly for now. In the 60's SPF sunscreen was unheard of, we had things like Coppertone, sea and Ski and cocoa butter to help us bake.

If I recall correctly from my teen years, we used some baby oil concoction (iodine?) to "help" us tan.  Hard to believe that we were really that stupid.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

If I recall correctly from my teen years, we used some baby oil concoction (iodine?) to "help" us tan.  Hard to believe that we were really that stupid.

Not stupid, the science wasn't up to speed on sun and skin cancer, and we had no preventative products available at the time. I remember all the Coppertone ads on TV and having a nice deep tan in SoCal was considered a thing of beauty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I remember all the Coppertone ads on TV and having a nice deep tan in SoCal was considered a thing of beauty.

Unsure if you are of The Beach Boys era, but, the surf, sun, and California lifestyle was once very popular in places other than California among teens and young people.  

3 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Unsure if you are of The Beach Boys era, but, the surf, sun, and California lifestyle was once very popular in places other than California among teens and young people.  

I grew up in the late 1950;s and 1960's

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Me too!  HS class of '61 and university class of '65.  

Me HS Class of '67 and college class of '71. My first two years were at California Lutheran University and in the Spring, I had all morning classes and drove 30 miles over the coast mountains to Zuma and Malibu beaches almost every day. I finished and graduated from Oregon State Univ, not much sun or beach going there.