How useful is the Hub app. And does the chat feature work well?

Drummer72

19 minutes ago, guxu said:

So we need to pay $5 to enable the chat feature? That is one time fee for the entire cruise, correct? We will buy Wi-Fi package. Do we still have to pay the activation fee?

That is my understanding, the chat feature on the app is separate from the WiFi package. 

1 hour ago, guxu said:

So we need to pay $5 to enable the chat feature? That is one time fee for the entire cruise, correct? We will buy Wi-Fi package. Do we still have to pay the activation fee?

43 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

That is my understanding, the chat feature on the app is separate from the WiFi package. 

That is correct, it is completely separate from the internet packages.  It is $5 per device for the entire cruise.

• Like 1

I love the app for 98% of things but I am not fond of the chat feature. I simply cannot get DH to check his phone without a notification and that is really the only thing it lacks. So we fall back on Messenger because he can at least see that he has a message without having to physically open the Hub to check. It is way more expensive because even though I do a Premium package for myself and would no matter what (sorry, I'm a news junkie), now I purchase a Social package for him as well. For someone who is not a Senior and is capable of checking the app, it works well. 

On 12/18/2021 at 10:16 PM, Drummer72 said:

Not a big fan of using my cell phone on vacation. We are traveling with a group of 5 cabins.  I figured the hub is the best way to stay connected with each other while on board. Your thoughts?

For 5 cabins....i would for sure. It was a life saver the only time i went as part of a group. Its very easy to loose track of time 🙃

I really liked the Hub app on my last cruise on Horizon in 2019 - we had extended family so the messaging was great, and I love YTD now that you can check in on the app. I don't think I would do YTD otherwise. Fast forward to my cruise last week on the Sunrise with only one companion and the messaging feature never worked. Tried to activate messaging - asked if I wanted the $5 messaging feature, I'd click yes, it would confirm, then I'd go to try to create a message and it would start all over. I must have confirmed that $5 messaging feature 12 times. I was half expecting a $60 messaging charge. We gave up after the first night because we both had internet plan so we could iMessage if we really needed to. I didn't feel like going to Guest Services to complain or get the $5 charge removed. 

One feature we found quite useful on the hub app is the map. In a different area of the ship and need to find a bathroom? Easy, look at the app. Where is the "hidden deck" on your ship? Easy, look at the app.

We used it a lot too to look at the evening dining menus to see if we wanted to eat in the dining room or at the buffet.

And, even though I had my phone in airplane mode, it changed time zones when we visited Amber Cove, but the app showed me the ship's time.

On 12/21/2021 at 12:30 PM, BasicSailor said:

This was my room service in Brunswick Georgia, yes  tipping is allowed . 

R.jpg

Hmm, Brunswick GA you say.  My Sister in Law is from Brunswick so I'd wager it was a really short person trapped in a piece of stove pipe.  They are still experimenting with finding a recipe for ice...😄

• Haha 1