Pre-booking Signature Dining

lderochi

Hello, when I booked out May Alaska cruise so many months ago, the current promotion included the Signature Dining Package. One dinner in Pinnacle and one dinner in Canaletto.  It shows on my reservation as 2 dining credits for each guest under the "Signature Dining". Fine. But now that dining reservations are available for my  cruise, I'm having trouble booking online. It's weird. It shows that my wife and I each have 2 dining credits. I can book one of them just fine (i.e. I can book Pinnacle). It then shows that each of us have 1 dining credit. When I  try to book Canaletto, I get an error message. Same thing happens if I try it in reverse -- I can book Canaletto just fine, it shows that we each have one dining credit left, but it won't let me book Pinnacle. It's not a huge deal, just curious if I'm doing something wrong. My original understanding was that we would have our dining assigned on boarding, and I could change the nights onboard if I wanted to. I was just trying to pick certain nights in advance to save the trouble, but it looks like I'm not able to do that (at least not for both of them). I guess I could just book one and then wait to sort the other one out once I'm on board. Any suggestions? Not something I feel the need to call about. 

Just a suggestion (not based on any experience with it).  I would try to fully complete the booking on the one that is most important to you and completely exit from the reservation and the website.  Afterwards go back in, verify your reservation is in place and then try to book the other.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So far I have booked dining reservations for 3 cruises using the new system. Each had the Signature Dining Package plus other "free" dines from our TA. I have seen such a situation. Recently I discovered if I switched from Edge to Chrome, I was able to complete the transaction. However, the first time it happened, I called the dining reservations number and the person who answered made the reservation for me.

I had a similar issue when booking my Pinnacle Dinner.  It would not show it until I exited the program and then relogged in.  My sister-in-law had exactly the same thing happen.  WAKE UP HAL, you are way behind all the other cruise line websites!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I had the same problem, but instead of signing out then re-signing in, I re-signed in using my husband's password. Then I booked the second dinner under his name. I guess that doesn't save any steps, though..It also leaves the booked dinner under his Navigator itinerary, but not under my Navigator itinerary. Took me awhile to figure that out.😏

1 hour ago, dadecitycruiser said:

We have a package with a meal each in the Pinnacle and in the Tamarind restaurant. I made the Pinnacle reservations but would rather not do the Tamarind. Can they be swapped or does it just go by the wayside?

DCC

I would think you may have to wait until you book to find out.  Even if they do not let you swap, for the Pinnacle (which costs about $10 more pp, they might let you swap for a Canaletto.

• 3 weeks later...

Just found this thread.  I am trying to book the promotional dining for our February cruise.  I can get the date and time I want.  But then they ask for a credit card.  I have checked promotional box.  If I continue will with my credit card information will  it be booked at no charge? Or do we pay and straighten it out once on board?    Hope this makes sense.

First time using the promotion dining.  Thanks for helping.

7 hours ago, highland cruiser said:

Just found this thread.  I am trying to book the promotional dining for our February cruise.  I can get the date and time I want.  But then they ask for a credit card.  I have checked promotional box.  If I continue will with my credit card information will  it be booked at no charge? Or do we pay and straighten it out once on board?    Hope this makes sense.

First time using the promotion dining.  Thanks for helping.

After selecting the promotional dining, you must select the names to apply from the drop down list. On another thread someone posted a screenshot but I can't find it now. Once you select the names, the charge goes to $0.00. You aren't the first to not notice the drop down list. It took me a couple tries to figure this out.

I wrote about my specialty dining in my brief review of Nieuw Amsterdam 12/11 sailing.

Mine was a 12-night sailing (but was actually 7+5 nights).  I had 3 specialty dinners included (1 Pinnacle, 2 Canaletto).

I was able to book 1 Canaletto and the Pinnacle (which on the FLL turnaround day when I had friends boarding).  I couldn't book the 2nd Canaletto.  I called the number at the bottom of that page and got a helpful person.  I did ask about getting Tamarind instead of a 2nd Canaletto, but was told I couldn't switch.

I was told to book the two "free" reservations, log out, log back in, and then book the 2nd Canaletto.  That worked.

When I boarded and had a look at the Navigator app (reservations did NOT show on the app prior to boarding but did show online from my desktop, which I had printed out and taken with me), both Canaletto bookings were on incorrect days.  Pinnacle did not show at all.

I stopped at the podium that was set up in the Lido and explained that my dining reservations were incorrect.  The fellow there simply restated what was in the app.  I told him the correct days/time.  He couldn't see them.

I returned the next day with the printout and gave it to him.  Oh, sorry, tomorrow at 7:00 isn't available.  BUT I HAVE A RESERVATION.  What's the point in being able to reserve online ahead of time if it never makes it into the system?  "Sometimes the computers don't do what they're supposed to do."  And that's my problem?  Anyway, I accepted the change to 7:30.  He then said he couldn't "see" the next leg, so couldn't confirm the Pinnacle booking.

Next day, I stopped at the service desk to go over that plus the other handful of small-ish problems I'd had.  Rose agreed that they should have honored the bookings I had made.  She took the names of my friends who would be boarding on the 18th and said she'd be sure our Pinnacle res was in place.  I confirmed it with Pinnacle a couple of days later and they had us all in the system.

BTW, when I went to Canaletto that first time, there were three other tables occupied - table for 2 near me and the other two at the far end of the area.  Absurd that I couldn't get my original time.  The ship was at <50% capacity!

So, I highly advise people to print your itinerary showing your bookings and take it with you.  Check the app once you board to see if it matches.  If it doesn't, get it corrected ASAP.

• Thanks 4

35 minutes ago, ArizonatoFlorida said:

Is there a way to correct reservations on the Navigator app?  I made reservations for our Feb. 5th cruise.  Got an error message, so I got out and tried again.  Now I have too many reservations, so it must have made the reservations despite the error message.

Don't have a Smartphone but on the HAL Website there is an option to cancel each reservation when viewing "Itinerary." I accidentally made an MDR reservation on the same night as our Pinnacle reservation. Very simple to click on "Cancel this reservation" by the MDR reservation, delete it and then book for the correct night. There should be something similar on the app, but I'm not sure.

14 hours ago, highland cruiser said:

Thank you for the advice.  I have booked our 2 complimentary meals.  We book our five star meals once on board as we like to use one for the Pinnacle lunch!!  I also always have a printed copy of my reservations.  I knew I could count on CC friends to have the answer I needed.

We also love the Pinnacle Lunch!  However, at a cost of $15 and a 50% discount for 4/5 Star, we just pay for it and save the free Dinner for either another Pinnacle or better yet, a Tamarind dinner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

I wrote about my specialty dining in my brief review of Nieuw Amsterdam 12/11 sailing.

Mine was a 12-night sailing (but was actually 7+5 nights).  I had 3 specialty dinners included (1 Pinnacle, 2 Canaletto).

I was able to book 1 Canaletto and the Pinnacle (which on the FLL turnaround day when I had friends boarding).  I couldn't book the 2nd Canaletto.  I called the number at the bottom of that page and got a helpful person.  I did ask about getting Tamarind instead of a 2nd Canaletto, but was told I couldn't switch.

I was told to book the two "free" reservations, log out, log back in, and then book the 2nd Canaletto.  That worked.

When I boarded and had a look at the Navigator app (reservations did NOT show on the app prior to boarding but did show online from my desktop, which I had printed out and taken with me), both Canaletto bookings were on incorrect days.  Pinnacle did not show at all.

I stopped at the podium that was set up in the Lido and explained that my dining reservations were incorrect.  The fellow there simply restated what was in the app.  I told him the correct days/time.  He couldn't see them.

I returned the next day with the printout and gave it to him.  Oh, sorry, tomorrow at 7:00 isn't available.  BUT I HAVE A RESERVATION.  What's the point in being able to reserve online ahead of time if it never makes it into the system?  "Sometimes the computers don't do what they're supposed to do."  And that's my problem?  Anyway, I accepted the change to 7:30.  He then said he couldn't "see" the next leg, so couldn't confirm the Pinnacle booking.

Next day, I stopped at the service desk to go over that plus the other handful of small-ish problems I'd had.  Rose agreed that they should have honored the bookings I had made.  She took the names of my friends who would be boarding on the 18th and said she'd be sure our Pinnacle res was in place.  I confirmed it with Pinnacle a couple of days later and they had us all in the system.

BTW, when I went to Canaletto that first time, there were three other tables occupied - table for 2 near me and the other two at the far end of the area.  Absurd that I couldn't get my original time.  The ship was at <50% capacity!

So, I highly advise people to print your itinerary showing your bookings and take it with you.  Check the app once you board to see if it matches.  If it doesn't, get it corrected ASAP.

I have the same problem (tho I’m not currently sailing). I booked 3 reservations  for dining.  I have conformation numbers for all of them.  Only one is showing upon my itinerary.  

2 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

We also love the Pinnacle Lunch!  However, at a cost of $15 and a 50% discount for 4/5 Star, we just pay for it and save the free Dinner for either another Pinnacle or better yet, a Tamarind dinner.

I agree Dave, we have also done that.  This Feb. cruise is a quick 11 day just to get us out of the wet and stormy pacific northwest.  Really hoping it is a go. Stay well and safe.