Re-entry test when flying the same day as disembark

escapesnow

With Royal Caribbean cancelling their on board PCR tests for re-entry to Canada, I'm trying to figure out the best testing option when your flight back to Canada is the same day as disembarking the ship (2:00 PM flight departure). When balancing avoiding stress and cost, my current plan is to purchase a RT-LAMP at-home test purchased through Westjet or Air Canada. I plan on taking the test early in the morning before disembarking the ship. I don't ever purchase wifi packages so I'll likely just connect to cellular data with my phone once the ship is docked and complete the video call that way. My understanding is the results will be emailed to me in under an hour. So I'll complete the test as soon as I wake up, then could have the results in hand while I'm enjoying my last breakfast on board.

I know there are rapid diagnostic tests available for free from Walgreens that meet the re-entry requirements and *generally* you will receive the tests within an hour. Although I've heard that even if you do land a sought-after appointment, it's sometimes unreliable. I know there is also testing available at the airport inside of the terminal. However I've read many negative reviews (talking about Nomi Health at Miami airport specifically) from travellers so I'm leery of that option.  

I don't think there's a clear winner anywhere. For those that are still trying to make a cruise work, I'm curious, what are your plans for testing? Of course these are the current plans until the next hoop to jump through is announced.

• Like 1

We did successfully use the Switch Health Lamp test for return to Canada from a cruise from LA in  November.  We did have the internet package so did the testing two days before our flights back (same day flights as disembarkation).  Keep in mind that it can take a few minutes to have a nurse log onto the video call (ours took about 10mins for the nurse to come on), and that after the testing procedure it can take about half an hour for the testing unit to light up either 'positive' or 'negative'.  Then you'll need to take a photo of the results (with the QR code sticker also visible) and email it to Switch Health (in our case).  Our negative testing confirmation then came back to us within about 15-20 minutes if I recall correctly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You didn't mention what airport you are flying out of or when your flight is?

Those details are important.

I am flying out of Orlando airport with a flight at 12:50pm.

I have booked a PCR test at the airport at 9:30am and 9:50am (two appointments).

The results arrive within 20 minutes.

I plan to check in online the day before, plus I already have my seats so it's fine to check in later.

According to Air Canada I have to check in by 10:50am, which gives me more then an hour to get the results.

Edited by K_e_short

We used the RT-LAMP kits last month flying from Las Vegas to Vancouver.  I'd suggest doing the test the day prior to disembarking - then you won't feel as stressed if held up on the phone. 

DH and I had booked separately and both called at the same time.  I had a nurse first who walked me through step-by-step to do the set-up and take the test.  Then while I was waiting for the test to do its thing, my husband finally connected to a different nurse.  Since he had followed along with me for the set-up, his conversation was much quicker.  When the results showed, we waited for the email to take the picture and submit the negative result.  DH had no problem, but I didn't receive the email.  After an hour I called and talked to 2 different people who could not help me, finally transferring me to a supervisor who manually pushed through an email for to submit the results. 

So, what should have taken less than an hour ended up taking me about 2 1/2 hours.  I was glad we did the test the day prior to flying, ...and that is why I suggest you consider the same.

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

Hi all!

I made an appointment for 10:15 for a 1:05 flight with Nomi at MIA, was a little late for it due to my shuttle, but had no problem. I had set aside the cash ($179) for the fee but they only took cards.

Where does one get the test that you're self administering in front of a nurse please? That might be the answer to my testing same day as flight home from New Orleans in February.

Sure hope Covid disappears soon!! Stay safe.

~ Jo ~ 😊

• Like 1

2 hours ago, retiring soon said:

Hi again!

Fouremco ~ thanks so much. I'll have to decide when to order it for my Feb 3 flight, Feb 6 cruise & Feb 20 return.

Is this the same test given out at the LCBO & certain drugstores?

Nope. The ones that are being handed out are self administered, with no one supervising you.

The ones referenced are monitored by a health professional and are the only at home ones allowed for travel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, retiring soon said:

Hi again!

Fouremco ~ thanks so much. I'll have to decide when to order it for my Feb 3 flight, Feb 6 cruise & Feb 20 return.

Is this the same test given out at the LCBO & certain drugstores?

Unlike the Switch Health kits, the free Ontario kits handed out by the LCBO are not proctored. Consequently, they aren't accepted by airlines, cruise lines or CBSA for re-entry to Canada. I'm not familiar with drugstore kits, but they might sell both proctored and self administered tests.

Oops, @K_e_short replied while I was typing. I'm happy to see our replies agreed! 😇

Edited by Fouremco
  • Like 2

I'm taking a LAMP kit with me for my Jan cruise as well. The website does warn you there is a small 1-2% failure rate, so my plan is to do it the morning before disembarkation. Should it fail, my back up plan is Nomi Health at MIA airport. 

Having a back up plan reduces my stress load!!!

• Like 1

On 12/25/2021 at 12:32 PM, Fouremco said:

Thanks for sharing that link.  I hope RCCL reconsider their abrupt policy change and honour what they said they would do and provide free testing until the end of March, but if not, then the link you shared seems like the best current option.  Not only will it be $149 Canadian dollars vs. at least $210 US dollars each, but you can do the test on the ship the day before docking, upload and get your papers in order, thus saving the stress on disembarkation day.  If the test comes back positive, I guess you head down to medical and tell them they need to test you since your test came back positive, and if the RCCL test is positive (and done by them on the ship) RCCL will be responsible for your quarantine and travel arrangements.

• Like 3