Positive test 2 days before

Twinbooty

I can see there are many threads but most seem to be about testing positive at the ship.  Im wondering if anyone on here has tested positive in the days before getting to the ship and if they went on to be successful in making a claim for a refund or getting Future Credit.

We have symptoms but are negative so far but will be doing Walgreens self tests tomorrow before we jump on a plane the following day.

Will pictures of the test be sufficent enough to go through the claims process ?

NCL will provide FCC, but not a refund.  I believe your test needs to be documented and a self test will not be accepted.  If I were you I would call your doctor and get a PCR test. 

Even if your test is negative, it needs to be a proper test to get on the ship.

Edited by Lou33

You might have a regular old fashioned cold or the flu, neither of which would be fun to travel with.  

If you are still covid 'negative' and choose to travel, suggest you take along some good OTC medication for your symptoms.   Hope all works out for you!

4 hours ago, Twinbooty said:

I can see there are many threads but most seem to be about testing positive at the ship.  Im wondering if anyone on here has tested positive in the days before getting to the ship and if they went on to be successful in making a claim for a refund or getting Future Credit.

We have symptoms but are negative so far but will be doing Walgreens self tests tomorrow before we jump on a plane the following day.

Will pictures of the test be sufficent enough to go through the claims process ?

No. You must have a test done by or proctored by a provider. No self tests. It would be better to schedule another rapid test before you leave. 

https://www.ncl.com/refund-and-cancellation-policy-covid-19

• If you, your family members or travelling companions assigned to the same stateroom cancel a cruise booking due to testing positive for COVID-19 within 14 days of embarkation, you and they are entitled to a FCC for the amount paid to Norwegian. To qualify for the FCC, if your COVID-h19 test was administered by a provider other than one retained by Norwegian, you must present your verified positive test result in a form acceptable to Norwegian.

And if you sail, you can’t have any “symptoms”. 

What is the criteria for denying guests boarding?

We continue to work with authorities to update the criteria below. Please keep in mind that these can change at any time.

To protect the health of our guests on board, we will be denying boarding to anyone who 

• Any guest with a temperature detected at or above 100.4F / 38C. 
  • All persons who, within 30 days prior to embarkation, have had contact with, or helped care for, anyone suspected or diagnosed as having COVID-19, or who are currently subject to health monitoring for possible exposure to COVID-19
  • All persons who have reported on the Pre-Embarkation Public Health Questionnaire or who appear symptomatic, are feeling unwell, are exhibiting flu-like symptoms or exhibit difficulty breathing.

Guests who are denied boarding will be issued a refund for monies paid for their cruise- only expenditures in the form of a 100% future cruise credit.

18 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

No. You must have a test done by or proctored by a provider. No self tests. It would be better to schedule another rapid test before you leave. 

https://www.ncl.com/refund-and-cancellation-policy-covid-19

• If you, your family members or travelling companions assigned to the same stateroom cancel a cruise booking due to testing positive for COVID-19 within 14 days of embarkation, you and they are entitled to a FCC for the amount paid to Norwegian. To qualify for the FCC, if your COVID-h19 test was administered by a provider other than one retained by Norwegian, you must present your verified positive test result in a form acceptable to Norwegian.

And if you sail, you can’t have any “symptoms”. 

What is the criteria for denying guests boarding?

We continue to work with authorities to update the criteria below. Please keep in mind that these can change at any time.

To protect the health of our guests on board, we will be denying boarding to anyone who 

• Any guest with a temperature detected at or above 100.4F / 38C. 
  • All persons who, within 30 days prior to embarkation, have had contact with, or helped care for, anyone suspected or diagnosed as having COVID-19, or who are currently subject to health monitoring for possible exposure to COVID-19
  • All persons who have reported on the Pre-Embarkation Public Health Questionnaire or who appear symptomatic, are feeling unwell, are exhibiting flu-like symptoms or exhibit difficulty breathing.

Guests who are denied boarding will be issued a refund for monies paid for their cruise- only expenditures in the form of a 100% future cruise credit.

So based on this info, if you are around anyone with covid within 30 days, like a coworker, then you can cancel and get FCC?  Or, if you claim to have symptoms on the health questionnaire then they will give you FCC?  How is this proven?  Seems like an easy claim to make

Edited by dad son team

23 hours ago, Lou33 said:

NCL will provide FCC, but not a refund.  I believe your test needs to be documented and a self test will not be accepted.  If I were you I would call your doctor and get a PCR test. 

Even if your test is negative, it needs to be a proper test to get on the ship.

This is incorrect.  It's correct insofar as you would need a "proper" pre-test should you test positive at the pier in order to qualify for quarantine assistance, but regardless, you WILL be tested at the pier by a third party (CVS or Eurofins.)  If you're negative you can board and nobody will ask about your pretest.  If you're positive you cannot.

If you test positive, whether you pretested or not, you'll get FCC.  But if you need to quarantine in a distant port, NCL will (arguably, based on other threads here) assist IF you've taken a qualifying pretest.

Edited by phillygwm

23 hours ago, Twinbooty said:

Self tests from the drug store don’t count except your own information. Do not cancel based on that. You’ll need a verified positive test meaning one from an official testing site, a proctored test, or one administered by a doctor with orders not to travel.

5 hours ago, Babr said:

Self tests from the drug store don’t count except your own information. Do not cancel based on that. You’ll need a verified positive test meaning one from an official testing site, a proctored test, or one administered by a doctor with orders not to travel.

The problem being of course, its Christmas Day now so wont be able to get a verified test and if one of the self tests show positive then morally we cant get on a plane.

Bit of a catch 22 situation.

8 minutes ago, Twinbooty said:

The problem being of course, its Christmas Day now so wont be able to get a verified test and if one of the self tests show positive then morally we cant get on a plane.

Bit of a catch 22 situation.

Indeed - a terrible position to be in.

All I can suggest at this point is a call to NCL to see what they advise.

obviousy no one knows the answer,  according to several above posts about NCL policy, you cannot board if you have  been in contact with or taking care of someone covid positive within last 30 days??   Do you after reporting this, obviously unknown what documents would be needed to support this, are you refunded by the way you made payment or a FCC, or nothing?

15 hours ago, phillygwm said:

This is incorrect.  It's correct insofar as you would need a "proper" pre-test should you test positive at the pier in order to qualify for quarantine assistance, but regardless, you WILL be tested at the pier by a third party (CVS or Eurofins.)  If you're negative you can board and nobody will ask about your pretest.  If you're positive you cannot.

If you test positive, whether you pretested or not, you'll get FCC.  But if you need to quarantine in a distant port, NCL will (arguably, based on other threads here) assist IF you've taken a qualifying pretest.

If you test negative prior to arrival and negative at Pier, denying boarding, you are entitled to full refund and secondary assistance, after primary insurance.

56 minutes ago, thepla said:

If you test negative prior to arrival and negative at Pier, denying boarding, you are entitled to full refund and secondary assistance, after primary insurance.

I think you meant negative (with a qualifying test) prior to arrival and POSITIVE at the pier.  And the refund is a FCC.

Edited by phillygwm
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Babr said:

Indeed - a terrible position to be in.

All I can suggest at this point is a call to NCL to see what they advise.

Ha,ha. "It's hard to say." 🤔 That's what they told me when I called to ask how best to handle testing around the clinic and lab's holiday schedule. 

26 minutes ago, prov2727 said:

Ha,ha. "It's hard to say." 🤔 That's what they told me when I called to ask how best to handle testing around the clinic and lab's holiday schedule. 

I guess it is to be expected because you are dealing with a large number of people at the call center who don’t answer the same question the same way on any given day.

The point is that a last minute positive on a home test puts people in a bad situation. The only work around is to have some proctored tests on hand, but that requires advance planning to order them ahead of time. 

At any rate, a verified test is required for cancellation. Maybe the next call should be to the insurance company.

My employee was scheduled on a cruise in October. 3 and 1/2 weeks prior to cruise she got covid. She was vaccinated. After 10 days she tested with rapid tests to come back to work, both were negative. She had her PCR test scheduled few days prior to cruise...tested positive. Was unable to board. She had the insurance thru NCL, was given a full cash refund that took about 7 weeks to receive.

On a side note it was a flipping mess for her to get any answers before the cruise from NCL. The reimbursement wasn't too bad with the insurance once she submitted all her doctor notes and testing dates showing she tested positive 3 1/2 weeks prior.

What gets me is she was cleared to come back to work and be in public with no issues but couldn't cruise. 2 town nurses and 2 doctors all gave us different protocols on this: 1 said no quartine because she's vaccinated, one said i had to quarantine for 14 day because i was not vaccinated at the time. Another... she's not contagious because she's out of the 10 day mark. All had different requirements. And we wonder why people are at their last wits with this virus.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2021 at 12:48 PM, Twinbooty said:

I am not going to read all the replies. Instead I am going to tell you what happened to my wife and I.  My hope is our experience will help others.  My wife was fully vaccinated.  Two shots.  Our cruise was not on NCL so sorry but that is our situation.  8 days prior to the cruise, my wife tested positive for Covid.  So as you asked, not at the port, at home.  The brand forced a cancelation which cost us 50% cancellation of $3,000.00.  

We had and I recommend everyone have travel insurance with trip interruption and cancellation. We used our American Express Card for all the booking.  I immediately put on a claim with the trip cancellation with everything they asked for.  They had the money back in my personal checking in 14 days. The few hundred dollars left was paid by American Express.

Don't count on the cruise lines.  Their policies change from week to week.  Make sure you have good vacation insurance.  I felt lucking we did.  We ended up cruising four weeks later.  

Cruise well every one. 

• Like 1