Do not Board - Currently on the Symphony of the Seas 8 day Holiday Cruise

Gissi6

On 12/25/2021 at 9:58 AM, RoyalC said:

Way more people are getting sick on ships than reported.  Symptoms show after the cruise. There is nowhere to report besides a post cruise comment form. Another issue is unvaxxed get space in the theater and dining room. Vaxxed are in there like cattle. I wanted to sit in the balcony,  I was not allowed to.

Really?  I have been on 11 sailings since the restart, and I choose the balcony every sailing, because there are not many folks up there and I can spread out. The only thing they say to me is that even though I am vaccinated, I still have to wear my mask... and I am good with that. 

• Like 1

OP - Sorry about all the disappointments, I understand because I love the shows as well. I think that it is good that you are letting people know the current situation on board, so they are as informed as they can be before making a decision to sail or not.

Personally, I love being on a ship so much that I am okay if all these were cancelled on any of my voyages. The only advice I can give is for everyone to adjust their expectations down so far that all shows, entertainment and activities can/will be cancelled. Also, that you could end up quarantined in your cabin if you should test positive. Then, make a decision whether to travel or not. If it is not acceptable that any of these things can happen, then I think the decision to cancel is the way to go.  Just my opinion.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, jasongoldberg said:

There’s no band in Boleros this cruise 

No other music either?  Even when the band wasn't playing in Boleros on our last cruise they still had regular music playing from speakers (we always seemed to miss the live band in there).  We still had a great time and people were still dancing.  That is insane if it is completely silent in there. 🙃  If it is a safety issue to have music and dance, why are they allowing it on other ships?  😕

Edited by afcgirl

Just now, Mikew0805 said:

OP - Sorry about all the disappointments, I understand because I love the shows as well. I think that it is good that you are letting people know the current situation on board, so they are as informed as they can be before making a decision to sail or not.

Personally, I love being on a ship so much that I am okay if all these were cancelled on any of my voyages. The only advice I can give is for everyone to adjust their expectations down so far that all shows, entertainment and activities can/will be cancelled. Also, that you could end up quarantined in your cabin if you should test positive. Then, make a decision whether to travel or not. If it is not acceptable that any of these things can happen, then I think the decision to cancel is the way to go.  Just my opinion.

You don't get quarantined in your actual cabin either... 

1 minute ago, PolytheneGirl said:

You don't get quarantined in your actual cabin either... 

I read that if you test positive you have to move but if you are negative and only quarantined due to a close contact testing positive you can stay in your cabin for the quarantine.  This is second hand though.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, afcgirl said:

I read that if you test positive you have to move but if you are negative and only quarantined due to a close contact testing positive you can stay in your cabin for the quarantine.  This is second hand though.

If you feel sick or get a fever, trust me, you will be locked in your cabin before a negative PCR test. These days, they wont risk. Staying (or rather keeping you in a cabin) is the safest procedure that they can come up with 

• Like 1

On 12/25/2021 at 7:13 AM, Gissi6 said:

Hi everyone,

I’m a long time lurker, and have gotten so much advice from reading posts from this forum over the year, so this is my attempt at giving back. 

Is Christmas day and I wasn’t expecting to be doing this but, is important for me to warn others.

I’m a long time cruiser, been on the Allure, Harmony and this week boarded the Symphony to introduce my fiancé to  cruising. My mistake!

He is having a good time overall, but we are bored out of our minds.

This is what we are currently dealing with, and this is a warning for others that are

on edge about cancelling their cruises. 

NO Aquatheather shows at all

NO Broadway shows

NO Latin Band or music whatsoever in Boleros

NO Parades (expected)

NO Dazzles

NO other clubs aka. the Attic (usual late venue)

NO On Air activities 

NO Sailaway party - we departed very late due to 2hr push on everyone’s check-in time for enhanced cleaning 

Entertainment is extremely thin, only Comedy shows, Headliners and the Ice Skating shows. I’ve visited guest services to complain and they say the entire entertainment crew is quarantined due close contact in prior sailing.

I understand the situation and I boarded expecting changes, but this is extreme. I haven’t visited the kids areas but, heard a mother having similar complaints due to kids/teens entertainment being closed. 

We’ve asked guest services to be allowed to disembark in Puerto Rico 4 days early and we are waiting on a reply. It seems to be against protocol so wish me luck… This will request if fulfilled is without any promise of a refund for the days unused. So it is completely on my expense.

This is my warning to others, do not board. Is not worth the risk/reward analysis. IMO

Happy to answer any other questions you have while I’m in the ship. I don’t have tons to do at night other than having dinner… 

I think I would rather just stay at a hotel in Florida.  It would be a lot more relaxing.

• Like 1

The entire point of CC is for people to share their cruise experiences. And then the torches come out.

Come on, folks. Telling someone to be happy that they are on a cruise at all just isn't helpful. Imagine if Royal Caribbean posted "BRING A BOOK JUST IN CASE" in bold font on their website. That would go over like a lead balloon. One of the great things about cruises especially on the mega ships is that there is usually something for everyone to enjoy. Right now that is not the case. It is not surprising that people are disappointed. So what if the world has changed. Chastising people for speaking up about their experiences doesn't help other people like me who are trying to set expectations for our upcoming cruises. Right now my expectations are pretty low. But I still won't be happy if the entire cruise is just sitting in a chair on my balcony telling myself to be thankful for the sea air if little else goes well.

We are sailing Symphony in two weeks and I have never been less enthusiastic about a cruise vacation. But it is the only time off I can take until at least late spring and my wife said let's go because we have not taken a vacation in two years. So we are going eyes wide open. And I won't come back here to complain about it if the experience is a let down. You're welcome in advance.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, orville99 said:

There are still shows on cruises? We haven’t gone to a show on a cruise in years. If you’ve seen one you’ve seen them all. More fun just people watching.

well now I have heard the shows on Odyssey are the best and brightest on the new ship.

I mean Anthem has had the same darn shows since 2016.  So, missing out on new shows on a new ship is sad and feel bad for those that are dealing with this. I did the Anthem last month and did not miss the shows even though I would have gone for the 3rd time  

1 minute ago, Pratique said:

The entire point of CC is for people to share their cruise experiences. And then the torches come out.

Come on, folks. Telling someone to be happy that they are on a cruise at all just isn't helpful. Imagine if Royal Caribbean posted "BRING A BOOK JUST IN CASE" in bold font on their website. That would go over like a lead balloon. One of the great things about cruises especially on the mega ships is that there is usually something for everyone to enjoy. Right now that is not the case. It is not surprising that people are disappointed. So what if the world has changed. Chastising people for speaking up about their experiences doesn't help other people like me who are trying to set expectations for our upcoming cruises. Right now my expectations are pretty low. But I still won't be happy if the entire cruise is just sitting in a chair on my balcony telling myself to be thankful for the sea air if little else goes well.

Yea I could laugh at the advertisement "Book a cruise for you and your BOOK"  

Still, I actually do bring a couple of books.

Imagine going to a restaurant and not having silverware, or water, or desserts or even a bathroom.

One would say "What the *%$&* gives."   I mean it is about expectations and advertised price for those expectations.  

So yes, telling folks to be happy staying home is not the appropriate answer on this thread.

Otherwise eat dinner with fingers and wear a diaper to dinner to that place.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Pratique said:

We are sailing Symphony in two weeks and I have never been less enthusiastic about a cruise vacation. But it is the only time off I can take until at least late spring and my wife said let's go because we have not taken a vacation in two years. So we are going eyes wide open. And I won't come back here to complain about it if the experience is a let down. You're welcome in advance.

I have never understood the shut up and be happy attitude on the board.  It's like if you are criticizing Royal, you are criticizing a family member.   We are here.  We are having a good time.  But we can still feel like we are being cheated for what we paid.  And some of the choices do not make sense.  We will be happy but when we look back this will be the worst cruise we have taken.  And will make us think about which line to sail the next time we book.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, afcgirl said:

Yeah, I was responding to the if you test positive you quarantine in your room. You don't from the first hand experiences posted on here, you get moved to a deck 3 room. 

Thank you for posting. I'm sorry that some people here are complaining about your honest review. I don't cruise often and our upcoming cruise will only be our 4th. I am paying careful attention to these threads (both positive and negative reviews) to help determine if it is still worth cruising or not (for me) at this time. I last cruised on Anthem of the Seas to celebrate our 25th Anniversary in February of 2020. Our cruise to the Bahamas was delayed and then shortened and rerouted to Bermuda. We were offered the option to cancel and we decided to continue with the cruise and had a fabulous time. We were a bit disappointed to not be able to go to Cococay and have since booked another trip on Anthem at the end of February. I don't mind if the shows are canceled (same ones as in 2020 & already saw them) and I don't mind if the excursions are canceled but I am keeping watch to see how the increase in Covid cases affect staff shortages (therefore service), lines for dinner, possibility of contracting/quarantining. I think we all take these vacations to have fun and/ or relax. If I had the time/ability to cruise often, I might not care but with precious vacation time I just want to make sure we can still enjoy the food, the drinks and a stress-free vacation. So I truly thank everyone for posting both good and bad so I can see what issues I'd be truly ok with and the ones that could be a deal breaker.

• Like 4

On 12/25/2021 at 8:13 AM, Gissi6 said:

Hi everyone,

I’m a long time lurker, and have gotten so much advice from reading posts from this forum over the year, so this is my attempt at giving back. 

Is Christmas day and I wasn’t expecting to be doing this but, is important for me to warn others.

I’m a long time cruiser, been on the Allure, Harmony and this week boarded the Symphony to introduce my fiancé to  cruising. My mistake!

He is having a good time overall, but we are bored out of our minds.

This is what we are currently dealing with, and this is a warning for others that are

on edge about cancelling their cruises. 

NO Aquatheather shows at all

NO Broadway shows

NO Latin Band or music whatsoever in Boleros

NO Parades (expected)

NO Dazzles

NO other clubs aka. the Attic (usual late venue)

NO On Air activities 

NO Sailaway party - we departed very late due to 2hr push on everyone’s check-in time for enhanced cleaning 

Entertainment is extremely thin, only Comedy shows, Headliners and the Ice Skating shows. I’ve visited guest services to complain and they say the entire entertainment crew is quarantined due close contact in prior sailing.

I understand the situation and I boarded expecting changes, but this is extreme. I haven’t visited the kids areas but, heard a mother having similar complaints due to kids/teens entertainment being closed. 

We’ve asked guest services to be allowed to disembark in Puerto Rico 4 days early and we are waiting on a reply. It seems to be against protocol so wish me luck… This will request if fulfilled is without any promise of a refund for the days unused. So it is completely on my expense.

This is my warning to others, do not board. Is not worth the risk/reward analysis. IMO

Happy to answer any other questions you have while I’m in the ship. I don’t have tons to do at night other than having dinner… 

'We were supposed to board the Oasis today. I am SO glad we cancelled. I truly am sorry you are going through this.

• Like 1

At this point, you should be thankful that you're even allowed to cruise when so many others aren't allowed to or can't afford to take a vacation.  Sure it's different, but rather than focusing on what you CAN'T do right now on the ship, be grateful for what you CAN do!  You are allowed on a ship, that's a great improvement since 2020 when nobody was allowed on a ship.

I'm sorry it didn't meet your expectations, but those issues are only temporary at this point.

Edited by broadwaybaby123
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

13 minutes ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

At this point, you should be thankful that you're even allowed to cruise when so many others aren't allowed to or can't afford to take a vacation.  Sure it's different, but rather than focusing on what you CAN'T do right now on the ship, be grateful for what you CAN do!  You are allowed on a ship, that's a great improvement since 2020 when nobody was allowed on a ship.

First world problems, yes, but I am not grateful for the opportunity to pay Royal thousands of dollars for a subpar experience. We considered going to Hawaii instead, but everyone else has the same idea, no rooms, no rental cars, no go. Not interested in sitting on a beach in Florida or Mexico. So we are going to give Symphony a try in January, but I will not be counting my blessings if it is a subpar experience.

They already have our money and won't be giving it back. They still owe us a refund for another cruise that they canceled, and we have been waiting over two months for that refund, so far. We have no more cruises booked at this time.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, emory2001 said:

It costs $0 to keep scrolling if it’s not the kind of information you’re looking for. Some of us do appreciate informed updates so we can make our own informed decisions. If I were cruising between now and the end of January, I’d be rescheduling, in part based on the reports of people on board. My next cruise is March, which I suspect will be post-omicron wave, but I appreciate staying up to date regardless.

Well, what you wrote to me, doesn't change my mind what I wrote.  This is a discussion board, I gave my opinion, others have too,  wether you agree with it or not. It is what it is.

Edited by Plum Happy

2 hours ago, Pratique said:

Imagine if Royal Caribbean posted "BRING A BOOK JUST IN CASE"

That would be pretty funny! It also would not dissuade me from booking. 

Edited by Kiran
error in post

1 hour ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

I'm sorry it didn't meet your expectations, but those issues are only temporary at this point.

Oh, stop. I am not going to be “grateful to be on a cruise.”  I am fortunate that I am able to spend a few thousand dollars on a vacation, but I get to choose where I spend that money, whether it’s being on a cruise, backpacking across Europe, or sitting on a beach in an all inclusive.  Whatever I choose, I expect the level of service and experience that I paid for.

Edited by DevonfromAcme
  • Like 21

3 hours ago, jasongoldberg said:

I guess I would have appreciated a note or an announcement …. “This is what’s going on” or an email pre-cruise like the one delaying boarding. “Heres what we’re dealing with, this is what to expect, and this is what we’re doing about it.”  Be upfront and honest and people will be more understanding and accommodating. Being silent on it creates frustration even though the outcome is the same. 

Today was the first sea day and I was surprised that the band didn’t start playing until 2:45pm.  

That would be a good step forward.  But it's only partial- for the people who would cancel if there were no shows (and we might be one of them- love the shows), that would just add to frustration.   Postponing the cruise (if you can find another window) would be a better option than hoping.  Since the crew quarantine time is known, and longer than a cruise- if the entire theater staff is not allowed out, that would be known for some cruises quite a bit in advance.

Not enough to really cancel flights, I suppose.

But at least communicating why there are cancelations during a cruise would be helpful, that is very true.  Expectations for the rest of the trip would be more muted.

• Like 1

@Gissi6Appreciate your honest assessment! As an avid cruiser BC, but not having cruised since 2019, I find it so helpful to hear everyone’s opinions as I weigh my risk tolerance. I find it insightful to see how various lines have handled these situations. 

All the Best!

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 2

Well— just left my stateroom for dinner. As we emerged men were in the hallway and asked us to go back inside for twenty minutes because they were spraying. Uy. It was bound to happen. Twenty minutes later we emerged and went down the hallway to come upon two housekeepers arguing loudly with a manager (in a suit) saying that they didn’t want to go into the stateroom that they were standing in front of. The manager was saying ‘I know I know’. We kept moving along but I was surprised that they were arguing in the hallway in front of guests. 

• Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Roger88 said:

If you feel sick or get a fever, trust me, you will be locked in your cabin before a negative PCR test. These days, they wont risk. Staying (or rather keeping you in a cabin) is the safest procedure that they can come up with 

recent cruisers that tested positive said they were move to a lower deck. You don't get too stay in your room.

I don’t know why but I had a bad feeling about the short prospects of cruising earlier this year and canceled the last of three cruises I had booked on 6-21-21; telling my TA that I would not be booking anything again before mid/late and maybe latter.

I was boosted Oct 18th but am in my 70’s, with several of the underlying conditions and do not want to push my luck. I want to wish each and every one still trying to get out there good luck and healthy sailing.

• Like 7