P&O Payment terms (for April)

No pager thank you

Self isolation rules seem to be the problem with Covid more than anything else right now

Suggestion today is that after Easter they may end that 

I was hoping it might be sooner than that tbh

BBC News:

"But there is concern about the impact on hospitals and schools of staff having to self-isolate.

Prof Paul Hunter, professor in medicine at the University of East Anglia, told BBC Breakfast that in time people with Covid should be allowed to "go about their normal lives" as they would with a common cold.

"If the self-isolation rules are what's making the pain associated with Covid, then we need to do that perhaps sooner rather than later," he said.

He suggested this might be able to happen "once we're past Easter", depending on the effects of the disease at that time."

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

13 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Bob, have you managed to switch your Feb Iona cruise?

You asked me that a few days ago. 

Yes, I was lucky, from comments I have read on social media they may have hardened their stance.  You can ask. I emphasised that we did not want to fly and that is why we booked a no fly cruise. The risk of being off loaded on Spanish territory was a risk we weren't prepared to take

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Self isolation rules seem to be the problem with Covid more than anything else right now

Suggestion today is that after Easter they may end that 

I was hoping it might be sooner than that tbh

BBC News:

"But there is concern about the impact on hospitals and schools of staff having to self-isolate.

Prof Paul Hunter, professor in medicine at the University of East Anglia, told BBC Breakfast that in time people with Covid should be allowed to "go about their normal lives" as they would with a common cold.

"If the self-isolation rules are what's making the pain associated with Covid, then we need to do that perhaps sooner rather than later," he said.

He suggested this might be able to happen "once we're past Easter", depending on the effects of the disease at that time."

Interesting. That would be a big step forward. It’s not the fear of catching Covid that’s stopping us from cruising at present, as we are living a normal life in all other respects. It’s the fear of being quarantined to a cabin or, worse, being offloaded overseas. If Covid is now a permanent thing we have to learn to live with it and not let it rule our lives and freedoms as it does now. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Interesting. That would be a big step forward. It’s not the fear of catching Covid that’s stopping us from cruising at present, as we are living a normal life in all other respects. It’s the fear of being quarantined to a cabin or, worse, being offloaded overseas. If Covid is now a permanent thing we have to learn to live with it and not let it rule our lives and freedoms as it does now. 

I've been thinking that for a while

At that stage your fear of covid impacting your cruise is really only based on it making you badly ill

But much less of a risk of that happening compared to relatively high risk of catching the disease or being a close contact and having to quarantine

I see USA has now reduced self isolation down to 5 days from 10 days

46 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

You asked me that a few days ago. 

Yes, I was lucky, from comments I have read on social media they may have hardened their stance.  You can ask. I emphasised that we did not want to fly and that is why we booked a no fly cruise. The risk of being off loaded on Spanish territory was a risk we weren't prepared to take

Phoned P&O customer Services this morning about moving my Iona cruise. No FCC available because final balance paid however then followed a rather surreal conversation as we verbally 'danced' around the subject 😵 They are moving the cruise to 2023, not the same itinerary but also refunding the difference, and it turns out I get extra OBC as well as the cruise is a new booking and there is an offer on. Same cabin. A case by case basis was mentioned. I have already received the booking confirmation.

I must emphasise how relieved I am about this, Among other things I have stress related IBS and it flared up big time over xmas ruining the whole thing. Hopefully my May Iona cruise will go ahead, I like the ship.

• Like 14

34 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Very sanctimonious, but not unexpected.

Quite. Most of us use Cruise Critic to learn things, share information and, at times, try to help other people with their worries and difficulties. 

Meanwhile, one or two others do none of this and seem to get their kicks by using almost all their posts to just mock or belittle others, under the very thinly veiled guise of humour, whilst rarely, if ever, making any constructive contribution to the debate themselves. Each to their own. It doesn’t bother me and I just ignore them, but I know that it puts others off contributing, which is a shame. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Phoned P&O customer Services this morning about moving my Iona cruise. No FCC available because final balance paid however then followed a rather surreal conversation as we verbally 'danced' around the subject 😵 They are moving the cruise to 2023, not the same itinerary but also refunding the difference, and it turns out I get extra OBC as well as the cruise is a new booking and there is an offer on. Same cabin. A case by case basis was mentioned. I have already received the booking confirmation.

I must emphasise how relieved I am about this, Among other things I have stress related IBS and it flared up big time over xmas ruining the whole thing. Hopefully my May Iona cruise will go ahead, I like the ship.

Fantastic news Dave and understandably a big weight of your mind. Where there’s a will, there’s a way!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Well done.  I was taught "don't ask, don't get".  Sounds like you did very well.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Quite. Most of us use Cruise Critic to learn things, share information and, at times, try to help other people with their worries and difficulties. 

Meanwhile, one or two others do none of this and seem to get their kicks by using almost all their posts to just mock or belittle others, under the very thinly veiled guise of humour, whilst rarely, if ever, making any constructive contribution to the debate themselves. Each to their own. It doesn’t bother me and I just ignore them, but I know that it puts others off contributing, which is a shame. 

I slightly disagree 

They are funny at times and do contribute at times

But then spoil it all with digs and judgements of others that they don't agree with

Which there is no need for IMO

After a while you just have to get used to it. Not sure they will ever change

• Like 1

Just now, Interestedcruisefan said:

So it looks like they prefer you to actually swap a cruise to a new fixed date rather than give FCC?

No idea, but I’m sure that either scenario would be most welcome by those who are stressing over this. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, davecttr said:

They would not offer FCC as the final balance was paid

Still a good result Dave as you have more OBC ,you are getting back the difference in cost

and you now have a new cruise and no worries about the old one . If it was me I would be

over the moon with your outcome as I'm sure you are . Well done ! :classic_love:

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I really glad they sorted it out for you, such a relief for you

39 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Glad you got this resolved, and have peace of mind.  Hopefully you’ll be able to relax now and your other symptoms will subside 

44 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Glad to read that you got this sorted.  Hope your Iona cruise goes ahead as planned.

I note in The Times that Cunard and P&O are now demanding all crew members are jabbed.  Isn't that a bit late?

I also just heard a piece on the news that 60 cruise ships are under investigation by the CDC over Covid cases.

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Well done.  I was taught "don't ask, don't get".  Sounds like you did very well.

i asked and definatly didn't GET - this is annoying me more than anything on these boards at the moment , P&O are taking it on a case by case basis and not being consistent..........bye bye carnival.....

Edited by Castle25

7 hours ago, Castle25 said:

i asked and definatly didn't GET - this is annoying me more than anything on these boards at the moment , P&O are taking it on a case by case basis and not being consistent..........bye bye carnival.....

I would feel exactly the same. Shocking customer service on this.