Brazil now off the menu for the South America circumnavigation now as well as Peru.

les37b

Cruise is now decimated but still going ahead missing out Peru and Brazil. Decreasing in length but with extra Caribbean stops instead. Now ends on 11 March vice 18 March

Not showing on the SS website yet.

Your Grand Voyage South America journey aboard Silver Moon is fast approaching, and we are all eager to welcome you aboard in Ft. Lauderdale on 3 January 2022.

We are writing today with an important update regarding your itinerary. Regrettably, despite expectations, we have been advised that Brazil will not be open for cruise ships by the time of our planned visits in mid-February. Accordingly, we have had to cancel all Brazilian ports of call, as well as visits to Ile Royale, French Guiana and St. George’s, Grenada. Due to operational considerations impacted by these changes, our Grand Voyage will now conclude in Ft. Lauderdale on 11 March, versus 18 March.

In lieu of our initial calls in Brazil and the exploration of the Amazon River, our journey will now include:
• A 10-day sea voyage during which you may indulge in Silver Moon’s onboard entertainment, enrichment, and amenities, including immersive experiences in our S.A.L.T. Lab showcasing the flavours of South America, along with S.A.L.T. Talks in the Venetian Lounge.
• A more extensive exploration of the Caribbean featuring:
Overnight stays in iconic destinations including St. John’s, Antigua, and Barbuda; San Juan, Puerto Rico; and Bridgetown, Barbados.
An in-depth navigation of the Netherlands Antilles including new visits to Kralendijk, Bonaire, and Willemstad, Curacao, as well as a call in Oranjestad, Aruba. Together, the ABC Islands as they are affectionately known present ample opportunities to explore their natural beauty, rich heritage, and amazing cuisine.
Also new are visits to Gustavia, St. Barthelemy, among the most glamorous of all the Caribbean isles; and St. Thomas, USVI, known for its history and beautiful beaches.

Please note, all shore excursion reservations impacted by these itinerary changes will be cancelled or rescheduled by our team in the coming days. Please visit your My Silversea account to review shore excursions available in Kralendijk, Willemstad, Oranjestad, Gustavia, and St. Thomas.

We sincerely apologize for the disappointment these necessary changes may bring, and we appreciate your understanding as we navigate the circumstances caused by the ongoing global situation. Your safety, comfort, and satisfaction remain our top priority.

• Thanks 1

So the " circumnavigation of South America" is now without Brazil/Amazon  or Peru/Macchu Picchu, and with 10 straight sea days, plus more of the Caribbean no one really signed up to see because you can see the Caribbean with many other cruise ship itineraries and/or have already been there four times.  Right now I understand Chile is in theory still a go (with assorted online troublesome paperwork) but I would not be surprised if that gets axed soon too  due to skittish authorities. 

Some pax who sail just to sail of course won't care as long as the booze keeps flowing, the pool stays open,  and the (maskless)  performers keep performing.  

It would be interesting to know how many pax cancel and take  FCC instead (though we won't be told) , but this close to sailing, my guess is that it will be very few because for many, the ship is the destination and/or they are happy to take whatever they can get.  Many don't care much about ports, don't care if you have to be masked in the gym because  they never use it anyway, and everything and anything is still better than being at home as long as pax and crew are not dropping like flies.

Last June, before cruising resumed and I had been off ships more than a year, I would have jumped on this to get a sea fix, ports or no ports. Now, there is competition with other equally masked up lines sailing with persistently non-zero, but  so far <1% asymptomatic or mild  Covid cases on board, never knowing when ports, even cruise leg disembarkation ports,  will be cancelled.  The new norm?

Although we are only on the first leg that ends in Guayaquil, we too received the email. It included the following cancelation provisions:

Should you wish to remain on the Grand Voyage, Silversea will:
• Refund you the difference of the amount paid from the 74 days to the 67 days; you may receive this as an FCC or as a cash refund for the amount paid.
• Provide you with a $1,500 shipboard credit per guest.
• Automatically rebook your return flight/s home from Ft. Lauderdale on 11 March 2022 for guests who booked air travel with Silversea.
• Will reimburse flight change fee expenses up to $500 per guest for guests with independent air arrangements.

Should you prefer to cancel your Grand Voyage, you have the following options:
A. 15% savings* on Silver Moon’s 2023 Grand Voyage South America when booking before Monday, 17 January 2022. This Voyage-to-Voyage (V2V) offer is combinable with any public fare. Full World Cruise excluded. 

2023 Grand Voyage South America

B. A Future Cruise Credit (FCC), valued at 110%* of the total booking amount paid to be used to reserve a cruise within 24 months of the issue date, for all open sailings. Future Cruise Credits are transferable to family and friends, and can be used partially and applied to more than one new booking.

If you prefer option A, please have your travel professional contact us before 17 January 2022.

If you prefer option B, you do not need to contact us. On 18 January 2022, you will professional will automatically receive your FCC for 110% of the booking value via email.

A cash refund option is also available, please consult with your travel professional.

3 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Really sad about Les. Have you been given an opportunity to cancel and if so are you likely to take it up. Also what was offered the early termination?

The removal of Brazil didn't affect me as I was only Fort Lauderdale to Lima (Now Guayaquil). I guess they sent the email to every guest on any leg. I'm sure this will massively impact this cruise now with cancellations. Only 5 days before flying to FLL now. One thing I'm sure about now - this cruise will go ahead (unless of course CDC closes cruising,  more countries dont shut up shop - or all the guests of this 76 night cruise decide its no longer worth it.

I was worried the UK would bring in restrictions, but now confident it wont be the case. I've booked my pre flight Antigen test (got a 90 mile round trip to Stanstead for a drive through!). Booked a 2 day PCR and will be fine with the Antigen in Ecuador for the return from SS. Its all shocking though. Places are running out of tests. Just hope they have them on Saturday morning! Can you imgine missing the cruise because a test you booked ran out!

This is a real shame for those on the Amazon sector. I cancelled our Manaus to FLL at the end of November  for a full refund as I was never entirely  confident of the ever changing travel rules. I hope to book this cruise sometime in the future when PCR tests,  passenger locator forms, self isolation, mask wearing  etc are a thing of the past. Although regretfully  I really don't see that happening  anytime soon.  

42 minutes ago, les37b said:

The removal of Brazil didn't affect me as I was only Fort Lauderdale to Lima (Now Guayaquil). I guess they sent the email to every guest on any leg. I'm sure this will massively impact this cruise now with cancellations. Only 5 days before flying to FLL now. One thing I'm sure about now - this cruise will go ahead (unless of course CDC closes cruising,  more countries dont shut up shop - or all the guests of this 76 night cruise decide its no longer worth it.

I was worried the UK would bring in restrictions, but now confident it wont be the case. I've booked my pre flight Antigen test (got a 90 mile round trip to Stanstead for a drive through!). Booked a 2 day PCR and will be fine with the Antigen in Ecuador for the return from SS. Its all shocking though. Places are running out of tests. Just hope they have them on Saturday morning! Can you imgine missing the cruise because a test you booked ran out!

I am sure you will get your tests ok Les. You may find the ship pretty quiet though.

• Like 2

Even with the changes, we are still going.

Considered cancelling but decided to go ahead with cruise.

We have had this cruise planned for a long time.

FEDEX already picked up luggage today for shipping to Fort Lauderdale.

We already have the rest of 2022 and most of 2023 already booked.

Even with the changes we are still looking forward to the cruise.

HOPEFULLY we will see at least some of you on board.

Safe Travels.

Bob (and Terry)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, les37b said:

Cruise is now decimated but still going ahead missing out Peru and Brazil. Decreasing in length but with extra Caribbean stops instead. Now ends on 11 March vice 18 March.

Bleh.  And, the substitution offer is joke for the price paid IMHO.

9 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

So the "circumnavigation of South America" is now without Brazil/Amazon  or Peru/Macchu Picchu, and with 10 straight sea days…

Yeah, we would have cancelled immediately with those two features of the voyage cancelled.

5 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

I am sure you will get your tests ok Les. You may find the ship pretty quiet though.

Just a guess here but I'm thinking this will probably be canceled more by segment passengers than by full GV folks.  The timing of this cruise gets those of us in the northern climes "outta' Dodge" for Jan & Feb. which is the big draw for this.  We've done it 2.66 times & it's not because we love Manta or Stanley so much (although we do love BA THAT much.)  I wish those of you who are sticking with it all the best & PLEASE let us know how it's going.  Enjoy your 10 sea days &, as a wise cocktail napkin writer once said:  Hang in there liver, you're one tough son of a ....."  

4 hours ago, Ravbo said:

Even with the changes, we are still going.

Considered cancelling but decided to go ahead with cruise.

We have had this cruise planned for a long time.

FEDEX already picked up luggage today for shipping to Fort Lauderdale.

We already have the rest of 2022 and most of 2023 already booked.

Even with the changes we are still looking forward to the cruise.

HOPEFULLY we will see at least some of you on board.

Safe Travels.

Bob (and Terry)

See you on board....  I expect most of those on the full voyage will probably still go regardless, though if I booked the Amazon segment and found it was replaced with 10 sea days,  it would be a no go for me.

Silversea seem determined to keep this cruise on the map through the adversity, which providing there are options to cancel (and there is), I see it as a good thing 

From the roll call thread, it sounds like some guests haven't been informed of the change.

I've just also read that Royal Caribbean will no longer provide post cruise tests from 5th January. Hopefully that is just the parent company and not SS. They have already sent me email confirmation I will get a complimentary test and certificate for the flight home, suggesting if I needed a PCR it would be arranged at "nominal cost".

I trust SS intends to notify if it's reneging  their previous statement, though to be fair, I do expect and hope it doesn't affect SS.

It would certainly play into the hands of Viking, who PCR test all guests each day and provide pre departure certificate without charge using their onboard PCR Labs.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/26459-royal-caribbean-international-to-tweak-onboard-testing-from-jan-5.html

Edited by les37b

33 minutes ago, seaver said:

Does anyone have the last leg schedule ?

There were no details in the email, other than you must decide promptly what you you wish to do.

I notice the complete Grand Voyage is no longer on the website and the only legs showing are Fort Lauderdale to Guayaquil and then to Buenos Aries ( a total of 37 of the 76 days only)

I do wonder if the details are not there yet and still frantically trying to gain access to Caribbean port replacements. Before the end of this revised trip, I expect the 10 "extra sea days" might well be expanded making it a rather expensive hotel and restaurant I doubt anyone would have chosen when they made the booking. It's all a bit of a mess and whilst I sympathise with Silversea and understand the financial burdens they are under, I also look at the guest aspect, which with hindsight on the way things are going, would have opted for a full refund for the three cruises still in wait.

Edited by les37b

Our FedEx driver clearly had insider information, commented your luggage is going on a trip even if you don’t.

Looking forward to the GV with probably more changes to come. 
Silversea is guarding the number of esteemed guests on the cruise, frustrating our TA. A useful number in accessing the risk.

On 12/27/2021 at 12:09 PM, les37b said:

I think I read on another thread by someone on Moon now that pre-Equador arrival ( on the earlier, comparable Moon cruise FLL to Guayaquol) pax got a PCR test (deep nasopharyngeal probe, plus, surprisingly, a throat probe as well).  This was because Equador requires a PCR and not just an antigen test to set foot on their territory -- though there had been some arguing with SS about what tests and when (perhaps because the PCR is more expensive to SS?).  Then pax who stayed on board got retested with just the lower nasal antigen swab, just like those who boarded in Guayaquol for the return  to FLL segment.

19 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

I think I read on another thread by someone on Moon now that pre-Equador arrival ( on the earlier, comparable Moon cruise FLL to Guayaquol) pax got a PCR test (deep nasopharyngeal probe, plus, surprisingly, a throat probe as well).  This was because Equador requires a PCR and not just an antigen test to set foot on their territory -- though there had been some arguing with SS about what tests and when (perhaps because the PCR is more expensive to SS?).  Then pax who stayed on board got retested with just the lower nasal antigen swab, just like those who boarded in Guayaquol for the return  to FLL segment.

It was me who suggested the missed Equador port was because Ecuador had changed their requirements to be PCR and that presented a problem. I expect Moon was boarded and samples taken sent in to a lab with PCR capabilities. Not sure there would have been sufficient time to have been down in Costa Rica. ( I questioned whether SS may have got dispensation - but thought it surprising if they had )