NCL Norwegian Book with Confidence - Does it work?

Prismanet

Hey fellow cruisers...

Unfortunately, we have decided to cancel our Jan 2nd 7-day cruise from Miami on Norwegian Encore. We wanted to go but with the Government of Canada's announcement on Dec 15th about random testing upon return of international travelers and having to quarantine while waiting for the results is a no-go for us as we hadn't planned to stay at home on our return as we had planned initially to start working the day after our return (unless we tested positive of course).

NCL Book with confidence policy (https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/refund-and-cancellation-policy-covid-19) clearly dictates that they would give a full future cruise credit (FCC) if "your local government changes the travel restrictions to the destination you are travelling to at the time of your sailing and as a result you are required to quarantine upon your return home;"

We are waiting to hear from our Travel Agent but it looks like NCL does not see it that way and do not want to give a credit based on this policy. At least we had taken an NCL Standard Insurance so we could at least get a 75% FCC but nonetheless a 100% FCC would be better here. I would assume that Operations/Bookings would follow Marketing assessments but who knows.

What has been your experience recently with the Book with Confidence policy with NCL?

Thanks!

PS: Happy cruising to those still going for it. Stay Safe!

• Thanks 1

Hello there. 
We have also canceled our January 05 Getaway and January 16th on Encore. Did have a long conversation with NCL regarding Canadian travel advisory. The person argued that Canada advises but doesn’t ban travel.

Have submitted cancellation for both sailings. Now will wait for 30 plus days. 
If no FCC  then no more sailings with NCL in future.

WE WILL BE DONE WITH NCL 

My agent called and was told no refund or FCC. She called back asking for a further explanation as to why it didn’t apply and was told ‘I didn’t know your client was Canadian, yes they are entitled to a FCC”. We have decided to go on the cruise anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, gmbhardy said:

My agent called and was told no refund or FCC. She called back asking for a further explanation as to why it didn’t apply and was told ‘I didn’t know your client was Canadian, yes they are entitled to a FCC”. We have decided to go on the cruise anyway.

Thanks for sharing this info.
Was your travel agent from NCL or a canadian based? If it was Canadian based it was kind of weird NCL did not know the TA was canadian based!!!

• Like 1

Well. Our travel agent just got back to us and confirmed that Book with Confidence policy from NCL is *****. She'll never do business with them directly; she'll go through other means instead. NCL Agents are not polite, they don't care and don't give a ***** about TA's business.

They did not accept the fact that we may need to isolate for a few days waiting for testing results on our way home. They just say that GoC says that you need to ISOLATE which is not the same as QUARANTINE because a quarantine is 14 days in their words although this is not written ANYWHERE.

At least I took an insurance with them so all is not lost but DO NOT TRUST their words EVER!!!

On 12/28/2021 at 7:37 AM, Prismanet said:

Thanks for sharing this info.
Was your travel agent from NCL or a canadian based? If it was Canadian based it was kind of weird NCL did not know the TA was canadian based!!!

Our agent is a major Canadian based franchised agency. I don’t know if she spoke to the same NCL rep or not. What’s really absurd is that if you read through the forums, some people are getting FCCs and some aren’t. What is their dam policy. You are either entitled to it or you’re not. The way the cruise lines are treating their customers is a bloody shame.

• Like 1

Just now, gmbhardy said:

What’s really absurd is that if you read through the forums, some people are getting FCCs and some aren’t. What is their dam policy. You are either entitled to it or you’re not.

I agree that if some are getting it and others don't for the same reason then I am more pissed at NCL. I'm trying to find a way to file a complaint to their departments. I'll post it here if I find it.

• Like 1

I’m sorry to hear ncl isn’t standing behind their policy.  I trust no business because I’ve been so badly burned.  People/companies say crap and then you are the jerk when you put it in their face.This is why for me I get the cfar.  No hassle, some lost money but no extra effort on my part.  It’s not a good way to run a business.  I’d be very curious if some of those that are getting fcc booked directly with the cruise line.  I feel sometimes cruise lines are a little more accommodating to those that book directly.  I know some people say my ta is amazing.  They always fight for me.  Personally no one will ever fight harder for me than me.

Edited by Florida_gal_50
  • Like 1

I'm seeing several colleagues report the same issue with NCL saying that Canada hasn't banned non-essential travel. I've suggested they try again as Canada is and has been from the beginning of this fiasco under a Level 4 avoid ALL cruise ship travel ban. They could argue that ban was in place when yo booked the cruise, but they might also change their minds! Worth a try.

• Like 1

I will also add that HAL is taking the same stance when people are trying to cancel under their cancellation policy. Both policies say future cruise credits, not refunds, will be given, so they've still got the guest's funds tied up. Bad business on the part of both companies, IMO.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Ginnyfyr said:

I will also add that HAL is taking the same stance when people are trying to cancel under their cancellation policy. Both policies say future cruise credits, not refunds, will be given, so they've still got the guest's funds tied up. Bad business on the part of both companies, IMO.

With all due respect hasn’t that been Hal’s stance from the get go?   While I don’t know about ncl I do know hal very well.  I don’t recall them ever saying they would refund you the money with the cruise with confidence. In order to get cash the cfar insurance is the only one that gives you that.

• Like 3

Same here. Got a negative on a FCC from NCL for my February cruise. Hoping the CDC decides to issue cruise ban, then they have to give me something.

At least Air Canada was great. Got a full refund, no questions asked!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

With all due respect hasn’t that been Hal’s stance from the get go?   While I don’t know about ncl I do know hal very well.  I don’t recall them ever saying they would refund you the money with the cruise with confidence. In order to get cash the cfar insurance is the only one that gives you that.

I've never sailed nor sold HAL so I'm not familiar with their policies.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bjay3 said:

Same here. Got a negative on a FCC from NCL for my February cruise. Hoping the CDC decides to issue cruise ban, then they have to give me something.

At least Air Canada was great. Got a full refund, no questions asked!

Well, good news for you! A colleague just shared a screenshot from an agent in an NCL group that says they are releasing "new guidance" tomorrow allowing people to reschedule for 100% FCC as long as they cruise by the end of 2022, regardless of the number of days prior to your cruise date. Sounds like it's worth giving them a call tomorrow! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ginnyfyr said:

I've never sailed nor sold HAL so I'm not familiar with their policies.

It actually says it on there page when you bring up the website.  I guess I hate to lose money so I always make sure I’m covered.  I don’t want to leave anything up to the cruiseline because they are going to cover their butt before mine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ginnyfyr said:

Well, good news for you! A colleague just shared a screenshot from an agent in an NCL group that says they are releasing "new guidance" tomorrow allowing people to reschedule for 100% FCC as long as they cruise by the end of 2022, regardless of the number of days prior to your cruise date. Sounds like it's worth giving them a call tomorrow! 

Thanks for the info. That would be great. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure they'll just tell me to screw off because I will have had already cancelled before the "new guidance". I'll try anyway but we'll see.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Prismanet said:

Thanks for the info. That would be great. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure they'll just tell me to screw off because I will have had already cancelled before the "new guidance". I'll try anyway but we'll see.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

2 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

It actually says it on there page when you bring up the website.  I guess I hate to lose money so I always make sure I’m covered.  I don’t want to leave anything up to the cruiseline because they are going to cover their butt before mine.

Truer words were never spoken!

Well folks, NCL has just updated their peace of Mind policy and are offering FFC's for cruises up to May,

see below

"Simply put, for new and existing bookings made by January 31, 2022, for any voyage with an embarkation date through and including May 31, 2022, guests are free to cancel up to and including January 31, 2022. Anyone choosing to cancel will receive a full refund in the form of a future cruise credit to be used for sailings that embark through December 31, 2022. Reservations cancelled outside of final payment will receive a full refund back to the method of payment used to book. If outside final payment and an FCC was used as payment, the original FCC will be added back to the guest's profile."

I've just asked my TA to go ahead with the cancellation.. Wasn't expecting this!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, bjay3 said:

Well folks, NCL has just updated their peace of Mind policy and are offering FFC's for cruises up to May,

see below

"Simply put, for new and existing bookings made by January 31, 2022, for any voyage with an embarkation date through and including May 31, 2022, guests are free to cancel up to and including January 31, 2022. Anyone choosing to cancel will receive a full refund in the form of a future cruise credit to be used for sailings that embark through December 31, 2022. Reservations cancelled outside of final payment will receive a full refund back to the method of payment used to book. If outside final payment and an FCC was used as payment, the original FCC will be added back to the guest's profile."

I've just asked my TA to go ahead with the cancellation.. Wasn't expecting this!

Thanks. I'll ask my travel agent but I surely do not hope for too much from NCL. I'm pretty sure they'll just say "You had already cancelled 2 days before we changed the policy". I'll keep you posted.

• Haha 1

Has anyone purchased, thought of purchasing or claimed on NCL Travel Protection insurance which includes, I believe, CFAR coverage! Cancellation, under the Platinum plan, provides a 90% FCC, if I read it correctly.

Any experiences would be welcome. Thanks...

40 minutes ago, Crown Vic said:

Has anyone purchased, thought of purchasing or claimed on NCL Travel Protection insurance which includes, I believe, CFAR coverage! Cancellation, under the Platinum plan, provides a 90% FCC, if I read it correctly.

Any experiences would be welcome. Thanks...

I purchased their Standard Plan which is about the same coverage as the Platinum one but the CFAR is 75% on the standard plan as opposed to 90% on the Platinum one.

As NCL did not accept my Book with Confidence request, I had to revert to the insurance as I cancelled for any reason (CFAR). The request is currently assigned and I have yet to hear back from them. I'll keep posted here when all is resolved.

• Like 1