Binax self test qurstions

Scubadoc

For those of you who are using the at home test that princess recommends, how does this actually work? I have the test. I’ve downloaded the app and the box says to create an account before my appointment. Well I’ve created an account but I see no place to make an appointment? It looks like I am supposed to get on a desktop and just do the test. That makes me nervous because will be testing right before we leave to go to the airport and I don’t have a back up plan. Am I missing something? Is there a way to make an appointment so you know they’ll be ready to do this test?

And then if I understand it if we are negative we just bring that test result with us?

As mentioned there are no appointments needed. When you go online and indicate you are ready to test you should have a very short wait for a proctor ( mine was less than a minute).  The whole process from start to finish took me about 25 minutes. The test results were in my email and on the app right after the test concluded.  Very easy process. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, flutprop said:

You don't need to print the results. You will receive an email and can also view the results on the Navica app and it will show in a format they accept at check in.

We just did this on the 18th for our 19th embarkation 

Always better to have hard copy.

22 hours ago, Jadn13 said:

You don’t need to make an appt. You just sign on to emed when you are ready to test.

make sure you make a Navica account and an Emed account.

I just got my tests from Fed Ex a few minutes ago.  I've made a Navica account but I don't have an Emed account.  Is that necessary?  Is there a different app for it?  Or is it contained in the Navica account? This is my Plan B and I hope I don't have to use it but I'd like to be ready if I do.  Thanks for any advice. 

5 minutes ago, croozer said:

I just got my tests from Fed Ex a few minutes ago.  I've made a Navica account but I don't have an Emed account.  Is that necessary?  Is there a different app for it?  Or is it contained in the Navica account? This is my Plan B and I hope I don't have to use it but I'd like to be ready if I do.  Thanks for any advice. 

Emed.com should sort you out.

The Navica App holds your details but Emed proctors the test 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, croozer said:

Unless something has changed since Thanksgiving the Navica credentials you set up are what Emed will prompt you for when you connect to them.  

Or you could have skipped Navica and just set up your account on Emed.

Edited by cltnccruisers
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, croozer said:

After seeing how well it worked for us on Thanksgiving this is now our Plan A.

• Like 2

I just completed a BinaxNow test this morning. Download Navica app and create your profile/log in now. I would highly recommend you enter your first and middle name in the first name space, if you have your middle name on your passport or ID. The first time I went online with the proctor, they recommended I go change my profile from only the first name so I wouldn't have any troubles traveling later.

Have a photo ID handy, and have the unopened test box. Log in to the Navica app and begin going through the set up process. At one point it will tell you to open a browser and go to the emed site to connect with a proctor. You will be told to scan the QR code on your test box and the inside test kit several times during the process. The proctor will control switching from your front facing camera app to the back camera for this part. You will need to hold up your ID to the back camera as well so they can note that in the record.

During the testing part they had me angle the camera down at the table so the testing materials are in full view the whole time. Once they have guided you through obtaining the swab sample in your nose, there will be a 15 minute timer where the camera needs to stay pointed at the spot, keeping guard over the test kit. You don't have to stay on camera during this time, but just be back when the 15 minute timer is up. The results were read and confirmed with the proctor, and I had the results published in the app about 10 minutes later. Also received an email with a link to obtain a printable lab result.

Easy peasy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

30 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

Unless something has changed since Thanksgiving the Navica credentials you set up are what Emed will prompt you for when you connect to them.  

Or you could have skipped Navica and just set up your account on Emed.

The YouTubes I watched looked like the opposite - you log into the Navica app and it directs you to EMed. Didn't notice anyone setting up EMed accounts.

I'm confused.

We used this in November before a cruise.  It worked fine, but I had appointments booked at CVS just in case.  We found it handy to have a small knife to slit the seal on the test kit.  We used my husband's tablet and one of us would tilt the tablet forward and back as needed; just seemed to be easier that way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chamima said:

The YouTubes I watched looked like the opposite - you log into the Navica app and it directs you to EMed. Didn't notice anyone setting up EMed accounts.

I'm confused.

You just need a Navica account.  Even going to emed.com to conduct the test it will tell you to enter your navica credentials.  I don't think there really is such a thing as an "EMed" account....or if there is you don't need it for a test.  When you login on Emed.com to "Start Testing" it will be with your navica login/password.

Definitely watch a couple youtube videos of people doing it ahead of time.  It will be much easier if you know the steps ahead of time rather than try to understand the instructions of the proctor.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, chamima said:

I'm confused.

This is what now shows up when you go to Emed.  I don't think it said "Create Navica Account" on Thanksgiving but I could be wrong. 

image.png.0362e6776e79d0cd7fd11c930dc2b642.png

On 12/27/2021 at 4:53 PM, Jadn13 said:

You don’t need to make an appt. You just sign on to emed when you are ready to test.

make sure you make a Navica account and an Emed account.

You will get an email with results you can print and take with you.

Lots of youtube links you can watch

https://youtu.be/HyjniJGZmLQ

I think I caused the confusion- You don’t need an Emed account. I have one

because it’s how I purchase the tests. 

• Thanks 1

I have another question and I apologize in advance if I sound totally ignorant . (I don't have a grandchild near me to explain the technology.)

I have the Navica app on my phone but if I want to take the test on my laptop should I (can I ?) log in from there?

Or do I log in on the App on my phone and then open a window on the laptop with EMed.com and somehow type in my Navica login info?

17 hours ago, BabsinTX said:

We used this in November before a cruise.  It worked fine, but I had appointments booked at CVS just in case.  We found it handy to have a small knife to slit the seal on the test kit.  We used my husband's tablet and one of us would tilt the tablet forward and back as needed; just seemed to be easier that way.

We used the buddy system, and it's definitely the way to go!  One of us to hold the phone, while the other was opening the box, taking the test, etc.  It takes two!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, chamima said:

I have another question and I apologize in advance if I sound totally ignorant . (I don't have a grandchild near me to explain the technology.)

I have the Navica app on my phone but if I want to take the test on my laptop should I (can I ?) log in from there?

Or do I log in on the App on my phone and then open a window on the laptop with EMed.com and somehow type in my Navica login info?

Emed.com  on your laptop and you see this, log in with your Navica password.

it’s easier on a laptop if you don’t have a tripod or someone else to hold the phone. 

68D8E0FF-C84C-405E-B1BF-AA96E72B4AB1.png

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jadn13 said:

Emed.com  on your laptop and you see this, log in with your Navica password.

it’s easier on a laptop if you don’t have a tripod or someone else to hold the phone. 

68D8E0FF-C84C-405E-B1BF-AA96E72B4AB1.png

Yep.  Just go to emed.com on whichever device you intend to use for the test and click Start Testing. it will prompt you to login with your navica credentials and go from there.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, cltnccruisers said:

Always better to have hard copy.

Yeah we immediately printed ours since it was easier on check-in to just hand over paperwork for everything than to switch from app to app to app, but it was good to know there was redundant ways to get to the results if we somehow lost the paperwork.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PMGS247 said:

Yep.  Just go to emed.com on whichever device you intend to use for the test and click Start Testing. it will prompt you to login with your navica credentials and go from there.

I do not want to drift from the subject post. However, when it comes to the testing process, I plan on using the Web cam on my desktop computer. Has anyone had experience using the device? Do most folks use tablets or iPhone  for the testing observation.(plus/minus) Appreciate your comments.

16 minutes ago, kjg46 said:

I do not want to drift from the subject post. However, when it comes to the testing process, I plan on using the Web cam on my desktop computer. Has anyone had experience using the device? Do most folks use tablets or iPhone  for the testing observation.(plus/minus) Appreciate your comments.

We used my laptop for our tests.  One of the first things that happens in the testing process is that it tests the audio and video connections.  The only slightly awkward issue we had was that at one point I had to rotate the laptop 90 degrees so the proctor could see that the card was properly flat and closed with the swab in it.  As long as you can manipulate your web cam you should be fine.

Edited by cltnccruisers
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kjg46 said:

When I read the instructions online

it says you have to download the Navica

app on your mobile phone or ipad.

I don’t see how you could do it on a PC?

That was my question too.

Anyone know?

I have the navica app on my phone, but I always do the testing using my computer.  I go to the eMed site, using the computer,  to start testing, and the site prompts me to sign into their site using my navica login and password.  The results get sent to me via email, and also to the navica app.

• Thanks 1