What would make someone test during a cruise?

dulcemariamar

Especially with the new variant that is supposedly is more mild? 

So if you are feeling sick and get tested during the cruise then you will get stuck in your cabin if you test positive? Wouldn’t most people just pretend that if they are feeling sick then it is just the common cold/flu to avoid getting stuck in their cabin and/or missing their return flight? Everything depends on the honor system at this point? Nobody is going to force you to get tested if you are hacking up a lung in the MDR? 

I am just curious because my partner wants to book a cruise and I am thinking that at this point that it is better to wait it out a few months because once onboard then it is basically every man for himself 

You should get a covid test if you are sick. They can also require it if you are a close contact of someone who tested positive (ie, you were on an excursion bus with them). I think their stance is quarantine first and test to get out. So it’s in your best interest to take the test. I assume they could/would do the same thing if you were visibly ill. But yes, if you had minor symptoms and were able to hide them with medications, it would be the honor system to get tested.

Edited by sanger727

1 hour ago, dulcemariamar said:

So if you are feeling sick and get tested during the cruise then you will get stuck in your cabin if you test positive? Wouldn’t most people just pretend that if they are feeling sick then it is just the common cold/flu to avoid getting stuck in their cabin and/or missing their return flight? Everything depends on the honor system at this point? Nobody is going to force you to get tested if you are hacking up a lung in the MDR? 

I am just curious because my partner wants to book a cruise and I am thinking that at this point that it is better to wait it out a few months because once onboard then it is basically every man for himself 

if you have covid whether you are tested or not wouldnt getting "stuck" in your cabin be better than being out and about potentially getting others sick?

• Like 2

Guest BasicSailor
1 hour ago, dulcemariamar said:

You wouldn't get stuck in your cabin. You would be moved to a different floor with staff wearing Zoot Suits spraying behind every other step you take.  In some cases, you can be asked to take a test. You hit on one problem that defies honesty when it comes to those that won't report feeling sick, not everyone is reporting or willing to be tested .Common sense would be to wait.

Edited by BasicSailor

We have been on many, many cruises, and I can't tell you how many people were coughing up a lung in the cruise terminal waiting to get on the ship, or on the buffet line, elevators, etc.  Some definitely were not "healthy" and should not have been on board.  Now, with omicron and its milder symptoms I have no doubt people will not report that they are not feeling well.  Sad, but probably true.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dulcemariamar said:

hope they don't hack up a lung in  the MDR. Lol.

4 hours ago, dulcemariamar said:

The answer to the question is being a descent human being which this virus has pointed out that many people in this country are not.

• Like 2