Snorkel boats Mahahual

babyclaytonmom

It has been close to 10 yrs since I've been to Costa Maya and I am excited to be going back in less than 2 months. When I was last there you could find vendors with boats to take you snorkeling from the beach in Mahahual. I prefer to not book anything in advance. I am sure this area has changed a ton in the last 10 years but am looking forward to a day on the beach there with some authentic Mexican food and a lot of time in the beautiful water! Are there still boats there waiting to take you snorkeling? What do they run now roughly?

As you walk down the malecon, you'll see a number of dive shops with small boats that can take you out snorkeling.  Whether or not they do it on the fly/ walk ups, like on Roatan, I can't say.

If your ship is the only ship in there's a good probability they will be looking for business.  Current prices are around US$30 for an hour or hour and a half. At least that what a snorkeler using Gypsea Divers told me.

Gypsea Divers/ Dr Dive/ Pepe's are good reputable places all in vicinity of Nacional Beach Club.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2021 at 9:30 AM, babyclaytonmom said:

It has been close to 10 yrs since I've been to Costa Maya and I am excited to be going back in less than 2 months. When I was last there you could find vendors with boats to take you snorkeling from the beach in Mahahual. I prefer to not book anything in advance. I am sure this area has changed a ton in the last 10 years but am looking forward to a day on the beach there with some authentic Mexican food and a lot of time in the beautiful water! Are there still boats there waiting to take you snorkeling? What do they run now roughly?

truthfully you can just walk down the malecon and find people to take you out for an hour.  We were there 2x in November on a b2b on the Adventure.  First time we got screwed by a vendor who canceled and didn't tell us so we just found a guy with a boat for $30.  2nd time we were at Jaimies and they arranged it for $40.  Where they took us both times was pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

When you've gone out on the boats, how was the snorkelling?  I know it can be very variable, but was the water clear?  Good coral?  Different wildlife other than the friendly fish that swamp you when food is thrown for them?  How deep was the water?

Sorry for all the questions, but we've been snorkelling for many years and are so disappointed to see the quality of the reefs degrading for so many reasons.  We've been on many snorkel tours that  drift you past dead coral or miles of sea grass, or in 30' of murky water with an occasional fish swimming by.  Other times, there's so much to see that I need more time than what is allotted.  

Having only been beach snorkelling so far in Costa Maya, I was wondering if the boat gives you a vastly better experience.  

On 2/11/2022 at 11:44 PM, Birdnutty said:

When you've gone out on the boats, how was the snorkelling?  I know it can be very variable, but was the water clear?  Good coral?  Different wildlife other than the friendly fish that swamp you when food is thrown for them?  How deep was the water?

Sorry for all the questions, but we've been snorkelling for many years and are so disappointed to see the quality of the reefs degrading for so many reasons.  We've been on many snorkel tours that  drift you past dead coral or miles of sea grass, or in 30' of murky water with an occasional fish swimming by.  Other times, there's so much to see that I need more time than what is allotted.  

Having only been beach snorkelling so far in Costa Maya, I was wondering if the boat gives you a vastly better experience.  

These were taken from a snorkeling boat from Jaimies in November, 2021 in Costa Maya.  Our guide knew exactly where to go.

As you can see, a much better experience than shore snorkeling.  Turtle, Ray and a lion fish.  We paid this guy $40 total to take us out for 90 minutes.  

IMG-20211119-WA0021.jpg

20211119_152436A.jpg

IMG-20211119-WA0025.jpg

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jean87510 said:

These were taken from a snorkeling boat from Jaimies in November, 2021 in Costa Maya.  Our guide knew exactly where to go.

As you can see, a much better experience than shore snorkeling.  Turtle, Ray and a lion fish.  We paid this guy $40 total to take us out for 90 minutes.  

IMG-20211119-WA0021.jpg

20211119_152436A.jpg

IMG-20211119-WA0025.jpg

14 minutes ago, BlackWidow07 said:

Where did you find the guy for snorkeling. Was he outside the port? 

no.  We were at Jaimies Blue Reef for the day.  We indicated when we reserved that we were interested in snorkeling while there.  They arranged it.  We paid in cash to the boat.  There are a number of operators up and down the Mahahual for mini snorkeling trips.  I recommend Jaimies as the boat they got for us had a great guide who knew where everything was.  It makes a huge difference.  Another place is Pepes Dive shop which is right near Jaimies.  We used them for a little snorkeling trip in 2019.  Guide was excellent and took us to see all the good stuff.  

We were in the Caribbean in December and found great snorkeling in St. Martin and also St Kitts.  Everyone thinks Costa Maya doesn't have anything and is just beach bars.  We loved the snorkeling there and almost every guide we have had (5 in total) have been great.  One was a little lazy but we still found a lot of sea life on our own.

12 hours ago, jean87510 said:

We were in the Caribbean in December and found great snorkeling in St. Martin and also St Kitts.  Everyone thinks Costa Maya doesn't have anything and is just beach bars.  We loved the snorkeling there and almost every guide we have had (5 in total) have been great.  One was a little lazy but we still found a lot of sea life on our own.

People forget that the Caribbean Great barrier Reef is right there. Same reef system as in Belize.  Fantastic snorkeling and diving.

• Like 1

We had a horrible trip once snorkeling with a boat from Cozumel. The current pushed us pretty far so we couldn't just swim around at our leisure but rather, we just kept getting dropped off, picked up, and ferried to a different location. Water kept splashing up into our snorkeling tubes. It was not fun at all. However, when we snorkeled right off the shore in Cozumel, it was a totally different experience - calm waters, lots of fish (can't remember where we were on the island as it was a long time ago). Could have just been the day, but maybe it was because of the island and how it was located with regards to the reef? I know the ferry deals with choppy water, as well, between Cozumel and the mainland. I haven't been to Klein Bonaire but perhaps it is like Cozumel?

On the flip side, whenever we've been on the mainland, we've had great snorkeling trips by boat out to the reef (Mexico & Belize). Calm, clear water with lots to see. In those instances, shore snorkeling was less than ideal but taking the boat out to the reef was really amazing.

I really can't answer questions regarding choppy or calm water as this is not a lagoon.  Its the ocean.  No, it is not as good of snorkeling as Bonaire especially klein Bonaire.  If you are experienced snorkelers who are strong swimmers, you'll love it.  Husband is 58.  Im 57.  We have no difficulty.  But we are also athletic and triathletes.  The guides will swim with you with a lifesaver if you get tired.