What was Your Favorite Cruise?

WannabeaTraveler

What was your favorite cruise and why? Mostly I'd like to know your favorite ports and such. Planning my next cruise (haven't even taken the first one yet lol) and I'm wondering if folks like the Mexico area, or Bahamas, or what.

Also, if you've done all-inclusive vacations, how do they compare to cruises?

Bermuda had the most beautiful beaches. St. Thomas was also very beautiful. If you love nature and natural beauty nothing beats Alaska.

But I just love cruising and I can honestly say my favorite cruise is almost always the last cruise I have taken.

Having been on 3 cruises, I can't pick a favorite. They each were wonderful. The most recent was to Hawaii, and that definitely warrents a repeat - same cruise, same ship - in 2008. But I would happily repeat each of them, and will for sure try new itineraries too.

The only port I have no interest in returning to is Cozumel. We did a nice excursion to Passion Island (beach day with lunch and open bar), but the port area in Cozumel seems like a paradise for annoying, greedy shopkeepers.

I've never done an all-inclusive land vacation, and have no interest in trying that. Cruising is too perfect a vacation.

What was your favorite cruise and why? Mostly I'd like to know your favorite ports and such. Planning my next cruise (haven't even taken the first one yet lol) and I'm wondering if folks like the Mexico area, or Bahamas, or what.

I have only done two cruises, Western and Southern and I would say the Southern was my favorite. Islands were just beautiful and I am not a big fan of at sea days so I loved the port intensive itinerary!

Have never done an all inclusive ~ have been checking into them lately for next family vacation - I think alot of people have been going to Punta Cana - we have friends who do all inclusive and they love them!

Have done 8 now, with #9 coming up, 5 different lines and all different ships, no repeats as yet. Favorite would be Golden Princess Southern Caribbean.....2nd favorite would be Adventure of the Seas RCCL, also Southern Caribbean. I've done Western and Eastern also, but as you can see, I like the southern routes the best. I feel that the islands are prettier and more tropical, the sea is smoother, and you get to see more ports. My two favorites had 5 ports each. I hope this helps you...happy sails...

There have been two, both on Crystal. One was 35 days from Hong Kong to Dubai that included places like the Maldives, Sri Lanka and India, and the second cruise was 28 days from Sydney to Hong Kong and included stops in all the major cities in Australia, Vietnam, Thailand and Cambodia.

Our first one. Looking back, it was as the 'Old Salts' said a poor ship, with so so food, BUT, it was a different way of life, and my wife and I enjoyed it. We slowly learned the error of our ways, but I still believe that getting on a cruise ship for the first time, has to be the best! john

weve been on 3 cruises.. and our favorite was on the carnival conquest western caribbean,

ports - montego bay jamaica and cozumel , and cayman islands

great ship. good service, fun fun fun we loved it

2nd was NCL star to mexico 8days

we went to mazatlan, manzanillo, PV, and cabo... great time also and we loved freestyle dining,,, never had to be ready at a certain time....

all in all.. i think that we liked carnival, we are returning on carnival in november,,

depending on what you want to do or where . i prefer the caribbean, theres nothing like the nice water,,scenery

i would do ,western caribbean,, or southern exotic ....

ive heard the bahamas is no big deal .. look for something that goes to alot of ports .. our friends went from san juan to san juan, stopping in aruba, jamaica, barbados, they loved it

have fun deciding

melissa

We've been on 7 cruises with #8 coming up in 2 short weeks. Would have to say that Princess and the Southern Caribbean is probably our favorite. Love the water and the different experience you get at each island. Also love the party type atmosphere we get cruising. We did do an Alaska trip once and while we enjoyed it, the trip was just too layed back for us. Have never slept so much on a vacation in my life! The ship just seemed to close down for the night after the last show in the evening and we would wander around looking for something to do. We are in our early to mid 40's and typically bring our two teenagers with us too. I think we have spoiled them for life with these types of vacations!

I have absolutely loved all of my cruises but I can say that my recent trip on the Carnival Glory was my best so far.

I love sailing in the Caribbean and I have done Eastern, Western and SOuthen Itineraries. I think that any of these are wonderful and have found great things to do in every port. Some of the ports I have visited more than one time via cruise ship as well as land vacations. It is a very different experience to go via cruise and I plan my activities on port days by looking at the "big picture" of the whole week.

I actually prefer an itinerary that has more sea days. On a 7 day cruise I find that I prefer 3 ports rather than 4 (or more) ports.

I have also vacationed at All-Inclusives. My favorite one of those was Sandals. Personally I now prefer taking a cruise to going to an all-inclusive resort. I love the big ships and the variety of things to do every night. I also think that a cruise provides more if I am traveling with my kids due to their ages.

Will I go to an All-Inclusive again?? Probably.

Will I Cruise again?? DEFINITLY!!!:D

Which ever one I'm presently on or have just completed or will be on in the future. That is my favorite cruise.

Our first one because it was our first and because it was the Norway. Our last one becuase it was our only Alaska one to date... And our next one because it is only a couple days away!:D

Boy Rev, when the Lord told you to go out into the world and make disciples of all nations He knew you would use a cruise ship!:cool:

As far as overall experience, the Norway, by far. The most unbelievable level of service.

I have only done western and eastern caribbean.

For ports, I actually loved/hated Grand Cayman. We did the aquaboats which was the best excursion ever IMO. Hated the crowds though. There were so many people we could barely walk down the street. This was with I think only two other ships in port.

I also liked Cozumel b/c we did the Dune Buggies. Those were so much fun.

We have actually decided to choose our next cruise according to which ports offer the aquaboats type of excursions. Can't wait!!

The prettiest beach I have ever seen was pretty much the entire island of St. John's.

If I want nice relaxation on the beach, I would choose eastern. For fun excursions, I would do western. I really want to do a southern but since the itineraries I'm interested in are out of San Juan, that means airfare is much higher.

Every cruise has included a private island and for the most part, I wish I just stayed on the ship. They were all in the Bahamas and I was never overly thrilled with the beaches. (All of the Bahamas may not be like the private islands.) This is just a personal preference though. There are lots of people who love the private island days.

Good luck to you. Whatever you choose will be the right choice.;)

One of my favorite ports is Grand Cayman - the beaches are so clean and beautiful. It is also a nice place to shop although prices are probably higher than some ports. You won't find people following you around trying to sell you things like in some ports and the crime rate is low.

I like the Caribbean ports better than the Mexico (Pacific side-Acapulco, etc.) ports.

My favorite cruise is always the one I am planning next.

I love the Caribbean and the western Caribbean more than the eastern but it's close. I like smaller ships, with the kids bigger is better but if I was alone or with my husband alone then it would be smaller is better.

Deals are a funny thing. At some point you have to bite the bullet and book the darn thing. You get the best deals by booking early or right before you sail and sailing at the end of hurricane season in the Caribbean will also help (you will need insurance however).

I usually find a group cruise and grab on. There are plenty listed here. Some people are against them because they don't want to party etc but that's the beauty of a group cruise. You get a great deal and you don't have to tell ANYONE you are in the group! If you want to make friends then it's a great way to go. You can go to the group board and it will be a chat fest of people you can meet. Three of my best Friends are women that went on a group cruise I was on from this board. I also have several other people I met that I just adore!! It's a great way to save money.

If you are interested in a group cruise then go to the top of the page, click on "member cruises" and read about each of them. You will find there is something for everyone unless you are a super luxury line aficionado.

If you don't want to go the group route then call agencies and really listen to them. Work with someone you really like. You may not get the lowest price but you can do well. I like group cruises because they save me a bundle but there are other ways to go.

Thanks Nliedel, I'd meant to make that a different topice. Why are the group deals so much better?

OK here's the five cent version. If you book a group you are essentially guarenteeing a booking for so many cabins. It's the same reason it's cheaper to buy in bulk. So a group holds x number of cabins (through an agency btw. It is handled by a travel agent normally. You pay no money to the group coordinator) and they get a break on the price. We had a week on the Mariner last fall for under $700.00 a person. The published fare and the actual fare was much higher. For our catagory we saved over $200.00 per person. It was also good to meet people (I know I say that a lot but it's so true).

Does that answer it?

I have been on two and am booking a third to hawaii shortly.

I like Royal Caribbean line the best so far and have been on Princess as well, lots of fun things to do on that boat

my favorite stop by far was Grand Cayman absolutely gorgeous, turquoise water, and STINGRAY CITY was such an amazing thing to do....

western carribean was the itinerary.

We've done 2, one to Alaska and one to the Western Carribbean and loved both. We have our third coming up in June, Rome to Istanbul, we suspect we will love this one as well. We already know that we like the longer cruises more than shorter cruises, it gives us time to really get into the flow of a cruise. It would be hard to compare somebody else's favorite to what you would look for and for what you would enjoy, it's kind of like asking somebody what their favorite restaurant is, very subjective. If you read these boards enough you'll find two people who were on the same cruise and had completly different experiences.

I've done Mediterranean (my absolute favorite!), western Carib, Southern Carib, and Bahamas. I liked the southern Caribbean best of the island tours. The beaches were fabulous. I especially enjoyed St. Lucia. I keep meaning to go back for a land trip, but I keep finding more cruises.

Archived