Drinks Package

MrandMrsBeee

We are trying to work out of the drinks package is worth getting. Has anyone had it and did they think it was value for money? 

If we order a gin and tonic are they counted as a soft drink and an alcoholic drink or is it one drink that needs to be under $12? 

We usually order wine with dinner. We would usually order a bottle but if we had the drinks package would order it by the glass. Has anyone done this?

We always get it.  The waiters and bartenders know when you have the package and always keep it under the limit.   The sommelier will pair all your courses at meal time, saving you from having to buy several bottles.  If you look at specialty coffees,  freshly squeezed oj, beer, cocktails, wine and water, it pays for itself and you don't have that big bill at the end of the cruise. 

• Like 1

Looking to book for the first time with Cunard and was looking at the drinks package. I’ve heard to buy say a glass of wine it will cost about £11 so therefore a package is a must.

Could anyone please confirm that is correct. £11 seems a bit much for one glass of wine.

Thanks a lot

We just had a free drinks (< $12) package on QM2 on our recent TA.  My (consistently excellent) Gordon's martinis were included, however my DH's Makers Marks Manhattans were not.  Seemed a bit unfair, as they were both similar caliber drinks in terms of alcohol quantity and quality of Spirit.     

On the positive side, the servers and bartenders will work with you to keep within the $12 limit per glass on the package to give you a good selection of wines and spirits.  We had a wine steward on the Victoria who rose to the challenge and presented us with an array of drinks and wines each evening.  On the down side, you will not be able to access fine wines and special bar drinks without paying more.  And you really have to drink a lot to make it worthwhile.  If you are in port, you will probably not get your money's worth on those days.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, geordiebing said:

Looking to book for the first time with Cunard and was looking at the drinks package. I’ve heard to buy say a glass of wine it will cost about £11 so therefore a package is a must.

Could anyone please confirm that is correct. £11 seems a bit much for one glass of wine.

Thanks a lot

Unless you are a serious drinker then I certainly do not think that it is a must. At $69 per person per day and everyone in stateroom has to have it then we have never found it value for money as we spend nowhere near $140 a day just on drinks.

1 minute ago, jimbo1683 said:

So Victoria showed you the drinks on the menu listed as $12 or less? 

There is a drinks menu in the bars with prices.  And there is a list of wines by the glass with prices.  But this wonderful wine steward that I mentioned chose an aperitif, a wine for dinner, and an after dinner drink each night and kept the pour under $12 so it would fit our drinks package.  She was a gem.  But in general, the staff are willing to work with you to help you make the most of the package.

I would love to think I could drink that much but I couldn't.  I could drink enough coffee to justify the coffee package - but my partner doesn't so again its not worthwhile. 

We love their speciality cocktails so they are all over $12 .  We also like to drink wine-  bottles started from $30 for cheap wine. We carried on some wine and paid the $25 corkage  -we got good wine for what worked out to be a reasonable price.  We can make a bottle last 2 nights YMMV 

Neither of us drink soft drinks or fruit juices - over what is available for free in buffet. We were on a warm-weather cruise so there was cold water available on deck as well. 

I record my costs when travelling and  we averaged US$50/day  (for the 2 of us) for  booze & speciality coffee.  That excludes the cocktail class which led to my addiction to Commodore Club cocktails (but the package wont' cover that either).  

If you like gin they had a deal where you could but 3  minatures of the  3  Queens gins - and then just buy mixers as you wanted to drink with them 

Depending on the cruise remember some days you will be on a shore excursion. 

If you are not sure wait until you are on board - you can buy on the 2nd day - so you save paying for that first day where you may not board until late pm