Taino Bay at Puerto Plata

bookbabe

• 5 weeks later...

I was at Taino Bay last week. The port area is beautiful. The local guides were very aggressive. My plan was to walk to the street with the umbrellas and maybe a couple other places. After nicely telling 3 of the guides no I finally was able to leave the port. I was stopped a couple of times while walking & once again declined. When I was maybe a street away from the umbrellas another guide approached me. He must've followed me. I told him no just like the others but this guide kept walking with me. I finally gave in and told myself my money could really benefit him. He walked with me to the umbrella street & another. He tried to convince me to take a taxi to the mountain and other places. I explained to him just like the others that I had been to Puerto Plata previously. I was with him less than an hour. I didn't bring much money with me so gave him $20 which he seemed happy with.

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2022 at 5:44 PM, bajabirdy said:

We walked into town a couple of weeks ago and felt perfectly safe. There were police, security guards, and tourist aids all along the route to offer directions to the various tourist sights and to stop traffic when necessary to help us across the street. Most of the younger helpers spoke English. 

Did you use a tour company in town? We have one booked with puerta plata shore excursions.com and I wondered if anyone else has heard of them?

• 7 months later...

I've read enough reviews on other sites with posts from cruise travelers and feel that it is safe to walk around the city with no local tour guide. It's important to know where you want to go and have it figured out so you can get where you want to go without stopping to ask anyone unless needed. We'll be there in Dec 2023 and docking at Taino Bay Port, which is where all NCL ships dock. I did read that Carnival owned ships dock further away from the city at Amber Cove Port, but there's supposedly a lot to do there and you don't have to leave the area if you don't want to. But it was recommended to taxi into the city from there. At Taino Bay Port, you are right there at the city center in a block and you can walk around. Some mentioned to use one of the local guides in yellow/orange, it's free, but you are expected to tip. I'm sure we'll be telling dozens of them "No gracias" the entire time we are trying to walk and enjoy some close by sites, but that's how it is. We'll walk to Umbrella St and check our Parque Central too, do a little shopping, stop by Paseo de Dona Blanca to snap some photos of the area that everything is pink from bottom to top.We will possibly taxi over to the Nat Park to ride the Teleferico, cable car, up the mtn at Isabel de Torres. I read you have to do that early or you have a long wait. Get up there, walk around take photos and get back down before you are waiting 2 hrs to get back down. Just now sure if we want to deal with that or after the city walk over to the fort near the port and explore, then stop by the man made water/pool area for a while or just go back to the ship at that point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@rmercedes

Puerto Plata was our final port March 2022.

I was recovering from surgery - so pretty much missed every port...
However, w/ the motorized cart providing transportation to the Port Area - I was able to walk far enough to enjoy the pool/beach/bar area...

It was a relaxing & highly enjoyable day for our group at the pool/beach/bar area & we ate lunch in the restaurant...

Very pleasant day for us and if you have time at the end of your adventures and want to relax at the Pool/Beach/Bar area - I highly recommend.

On 8/12/2023 at 3:46 PM, rmercedes said:

I've read enough reviews on other sites with posts from cruise travelers and feel that it is safe to walk around the city with no local tour guide. It's important to know where you want to go and have it figured out so you can get where you want to go without stopping to ask anyone unless needed. We'll be there in Dec 2023 and docking at Taino Bay Port, which is where all NCL ships dock. I did read that Carnival owned ships dock further away from the city at Amber Cove Port, but there's supposedly a lot to do there and you don't have to leave the area if you don't want to. But it was recommended to taxi into the city from there. At Taino Bay Port, you are right there at the city center in a block and you can walk around. Some mentioned to use one of the local guides in yellow/orange, it's free, but you are expected to tip. I'm sure we'll be telling dozens of them "No gracias" the entire time we are trying to walk and enjoy some close by sites, but that's how it is. We'll walk to Umbrella St and check our Parque Central too, do a little shopping, stop by Paseo de Dona Blanca to snap some photos of the area that everything is pink from bottom to top.We will possibly taxi over to the Nat Park to ride the Teleferico, cable car, up the mtn at Isabel de Torres. I read you have to do that early or you have a long wait. Get up there, walk around take photos and get back down before you are waiting 2 hrs to get back down. Just now sure if we want to deal with that or after the city walk over to the fort near the port and explore, then stop by the man made water/pool area for a while or just go back to the ship at that point.

We were on the NCL Dawn in February.  Our cruise itinerary said Taino Bay, NCL kept insisting it was Taino Bay, but we docked at Amber Cove.  I was glad that we had booked a private tour.  We talked our tour operator into leaving us to just roam around the Parque Central area and get some treats and do some shopping.  At first, he said he would walk around with us, but eventually, he left to go relax.  I felt perfectly safe.  There were some less good areas not far away, but the main tourist area was fine. I'm not sure if NCL has gone back to only Taino Bay, but for a while, most ships weren't docking there after one of the ships hit the sandbar. 

Teleferico and the National Park were amazing.  From what I have heard, the price for a taxi will be almost the same as what we paid for our private tour.  We had 8 people from our CC tour, and the price was $140 for 4 people per van.  We paid our own way into the cable car, but they provided us with bottled water for at the National Park and some local beers for people who were interested. 

Even if you do it on your own, I'd be inclined to do the cable car first.  The lines can get really long later in the day.  It is a slow ride up and back down and it doesn't take long for the lines to build.

The fort was important to me, so we stopped there too. There is a small fee for headphones and to go into the fort.  I thought it was very interesting and worth it for us.  Even if not going into the fort, there are beautiful views and the grounds are very nice.

Please let me know if you have any questions, want to see pictures, or want more info about our tour guides.  They are on Facebook. 

On 1/2/2023 at 11:16 AM, 2dot2dot said:

Did you use a tour company in town? We have one booked with puerta plata shore excursions.com and I wondered if anyone else has heard of them?

We booked with a different group.  We used E&J Taxi Tours Puerto Plata. They were amazing.

On 8/14/2023 at 9:48 PM, rmercedes said:

That's good information because if we dock at Amber Cove, we can't get to the city without a tour or taxi. I'm going to check that out. 

You can check both ports web sites and see where your ship is listed, but they weren't up to date with the latest info when we sailed.  Also, if your ship visits there often, you can check the ship cams and see which port they normally dock at.  The Sky almost always docked at Taino Bay when we were going, but the Dawn (our ship) and several of the others were either at Amber Cove or did a sea day or changed ports of call altogether. 

Good luck.

• 2 months later...
On 10/31/2023 at 9:09 PM, mets123 said:

How much is a taxi from the Puerto Plata port to the center of town? If it difficult to get a taxi back to the port?

We didn't dock at Taino Bay, so I don't know.  You can walk to town from Taino Bay.  In general, taxis seem to be expensive, at least from the other port area.  Local mostly share mopeds rather than taking a taxi.  Our private tour was not much more expensive than what someone paid for a taxi from the other place where the ships dock.

On 11/1/2023 at 10:48 PM, alwalaska said:

We didn't dock at Taino Bay, so I don't know.  You can walk to town from Taino Bay.  In general, taxis seem to be expensive, at least from the other port area.  Local mostly share mopeds rather than taking a taxi.  Our private tour was not much more expensive than what someone paid for a taxi from the other place where the ships dock.

How far a walk is it?

14 hours ago, mets123 said:

How far a walk is it?

From where we docked (Amber Cover) it was like a 16-minute or longer drive, and absolutely not walkable. Here it is on a map Paseo de Doña Blanca to Amber Cove Cruise Port - Google Maps.   The only info I have from Taino Bay to town was what I gleaned from Google Maps. Here is a sample map - https://maps.app.goo.gl/N2Hea4PKyuerwFGKA . Just go out and put in the port and where you want to go and ask for walking directions.  I know people walk it, but have said they were constantly being offered to be guided all along the way.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/12/2023 at 3:46 PM, rmercedes said:

Did you end up going in December?  How did it work out for you and what did you end up doing?  Any details would be great.  Thanks.

Yes we did go on the NCL cruise on the Encore in Dec 2023. We booked a private tour guide in the Dominican Republic for a city tour for 4. Walking through the port was awesome. Really the best port we’ve been through in the entire Caribbean in our opinion. It took 10-15 min to get out to meet up w our tour guide and his van which was nice and clean. Got the tour all over the city and outskirts, a beach for a while, then Umbrella St, Pink St, shopping, city square, the Fort. He was going to take us to lunch at a local restaurant but we opted for more beach time. Tour guide was decent, but half of what we did was walkable on our own. He did drive us up to ride the cable car up the mountain. Nice ride but packed in there. Pretty view up top and walked us around up there. Then back down the cable car, again packed full. To his van and back to the ship. Top port area like I said and they have a man made beach type space w tons of lounge chairs, lazy river, to enjoy right outside the ship. So many great shops there too. We could have skipped the tour guide and done all but the cable ride on our own and had more time to enjoy that great port area.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, rmercedes said:

Yes we did go on the NCL cruise on the Encore in Dec 2023. We booked a private tour guide in the Dominican Republic for a city tour for 4. Walking through the port was awesome. Really the best port we’ve been through in the entire Caribbean in our opinion. It took 10-15 min to get out to meet up w our tour guide and his van which was nice and clean. Got the tour all over the city and outskirts, a beach for a while, then Umbrella St, Pink St, shopping, city square, the Fort. He was going to take us to lunch at a local restaurant but we opted for more beach time. Tour guide was decent, but half of what we did was walkable on our own. He did drive us up to ride the cable car up the mountain. Nice ride but packed in there. Pretty view up top and walked us around up there. Then back down the cable car, again packed full. To his van and back to the ship. Top port area like I said and they have a man made beach type space w tons of lounge chairs, lazy river, to enjoy right outside the ship. So many great shops there too. We could have skipped the tour guide and done all but the cable ride on our own and had more time to enjoy that great port area.

So, just to verify, the Encore did go to Taino Bay and not Amber Cove?  If yes, that is great news for future cruises that I might be looking at. 

2 hours ago, alwalaska said:

So, just to verify, the Encore did go to Taino Bay and not Amber Cove?  If yes, that is great news for future cruises that I might be looking at. 

I'm sailing Getaway in April and expect that our DR stop will be at Taino Bay. 

My daughters sailing on Escape stopped at Taino too in May. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/3/2024 at 11:53 AM, bkrickles1 said:

I'm sailing Getaway in April and expect that our DR stop will be at Taino Bay. 

My daughters sailing on Escape stopped at Taino too in May. 

Hi ship-mate -- I tried finding a schedule, and the one for Amber Cove shows our Getaway going there -- BUT -- the site didn't look all that up to date.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DuckTollerFans said:

Hi ship-mate -- I tried finding a schedule, and the one for Amber Cove shows our Getaway going there -- BUT -- the site didn't look all that up to date.

I saw it somewhere and I'll have to look for it. 

I'd be disappointed if we didn't stop at Taino. 

10 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

I saw it somewhere and I'll have to look for it. 

I'd be disappointed if we didn't stop at Taino. 

Me too.  But, if it goes to Amber Cove I'm sure we can all go in together for some taxis, etc.  It looks like a 15 minute or so drive.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, DuckTollerFans said:

Me too.  But, if it goes to Amber Cove I'm sure we can all go in together for some taxis, etc.  It looks like a 15 minute or so drive.

I actually am optimistic that we'll dock at Taino. Found one site that said what you said about amber cove and then I found one that specifically says it was updated at the end of December. That one shows getaway docking at Taino through the end of January and the amber cove calendar goes out to April and shows no ncl ships docking there. 

Fingers crossed. 

We'd probably stay on board if we docked in amber cove. 

Edited by bkrickles1

Do not rely on generic website for port schedule for Amber cove.

Go to ambercove dot com , the schedule is there. If your ship isn't listed on the day you are in Puerto Plata, it means you are in Taino Bay for sure.

• Thanks 1