Switch Health Antigen Test - my experience

JessyCruises

I just posted this in my live cruise over on RCL but thought I would share it here as well so more of my fellow Canadians would see it.  

We just completed our proctored antigen tests that we ordered from Switch Health.  We are boarding a  flight tomorrow morning and scheduled to sail on Oasis on Sunday.  We used these tests for our flight and cruise in October as well.

These tests are $79 for 2 if ordered through the Aeroplan member link: https://switchhealth.ca/en/partners/aeroplan/#collectionKits.  They are good to fly INTO thebUS and board your cruise but CANNOT be used in to re-enter Canada at this time. 

C5037651-C010-47D7-80C5-354D26286019.thumb.jpeg.7521360750a9a2d2739952b05bf0aea1.jpeg

We ordered these test a few months ago to be prepared.  We logged in at 10:30 AST this morning and it said there was less than 10 people ahead of us.  The agent joined at 10:33.  Hubby and I were able to complete the tests on same video call. 

There were two tests in the kit.  We had to put the QR codes on the cassettes and show government issued photo ID.  She did my test first.  She had me take my phone to the QR code on my cassette so she could take a photo.  She then walked me through the specimen collection and dropping the liquid on the cassette. (15 second swabs of each nostril, 15 rotations in the vial, then squeeze out the liquid from the swab, place the cap and drop 5 drops on the cassette).  Then she did the same with hubby.  The call was over by 10:40.  
4CB9CD33-27D3-452A-B383-3BD482B0F49B.thumb.jpeg.e91504724f66550e70d33ba6c6ee36f5.jpeg

After 15 minutes we had to upload a photo of our cassette to the website.  Switch then reviewed the results and issued the paperwork. I was done my test a few minutes earlier than hubby so I sent my photo at 10:49 I had the PDF with the results by 10:55.  We had Hubby’s by 11:00.

116F78A8-B310-4518-A5D9-B10325564104.thumb.jpeg.7167ca022b546f706aa29e97efaaf957.jpeg

For home tests to be valid for RCL, they need to be video monitored by a health professional and approved by the FDA.  I know the results for the one we had done in October said Abbott Panio and we had no issues boarding.  The packaging in this kit said this test was SD Bionsensor. I don’t remember what the packaging said last time.

7E2AB5AF-0BA3-46DD-A267-292EE479AF09.thumb.jpeg.57de4a67772d934d40fa914d8f53cecf.jpeg

While I was waiting for my results to come in, I went to the FDA and found the FDA approval for the SD Biosensor.  Looks like it was just issued on 12/24download

As you can tell from my photo of my results, they show Abbott this time too.  The two companies must be affiliated. 

Assuming there are no more flight mishaps, we appear to be good to go to board!

Edited by JessyCruises
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• JessyCruises changed the title to Switch Health Antigen Test - my experience

Our kits arrived in the mail today (ordered Dec.28th) so I appreciate reading a real life experience.  One concern was how long we'd wait in the queue but it sounds like that isn't bad at all! 

Did you buy the Switch PCR for the return trip as well?  We haven't yet as I still trust the ship will do it...but I am considering it as a back up.  We fly to Arizona in June so maybe if we don't use it after the cruise the expiry date will belong enough to use then.

Thanks for sharing!

18 minutes ago, melbrook said:

Our kits arrived in the mail today (ordered Dec.28th) so I appreciate reading a real life experience.  One concern was how long we'd wait in the queue but it sounds like that isn't bad at all! 

Did you buy the Switch PCR for the return trip as well?  We haven't yet as I still trust the ship will do it...but I am considering it as a back up.  We fly to Arizona in June so maybe if we don't use it after the cruise the expiry date will belong enough to use then.

Thanks for sharing!

I am not sure what cruise line you will be on, but we purchased RT-Lamp tests for $149 CAD from Switch when RCL announced they were no longer providing PCR tests for international cruisers after 1/5/22 and they were not providing info on costs etc for the in terminal testing.  RCL has since stated they will cover cost for cruisers through the end of January so we won’t need the RT-Lamp test for these cruises (we are on Oasis 1/2/22 then have a B2B on Odyssey 1/9/22 & 1/15/22) so we are going to save the RT Lamp ones for our next cruise.  The ones we got do not expire until July.  RCL has now said in terminal PCR tests will be $210 USD so we are going to concur using switch as long as their price stays lower 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JessyCruises said:

I am not sure what cruise line you will be on, but we purchased RT-Lamp tests for $149 CAD from Switch when RCL announced they were no longer providing PCR tests for international cruisers after 1/5/22 and they were not providing info on costs etc for the in terminal testing.  RCL has since stated they will cover cost for cruisers through the end of January so we won’t need the RT-Lamp test for these cruises (we are on Oasis 1/2/22 then have a B2B on Odyssey 1/9/22 & 1/15/22) so we are going to save the RT Lamp ones for our next cruise.  The ones we got do not expire until July.  RCL has now said in terminal PCR tests will be $210 USD so we are going to concur using switch as long as their price stays lower 

We are on Celebrity and if booked before Nov.16th the PCR is covered and after it's at a cost (thru the end of January I believe).  I am not holding my breath it doesn't change 3x in the next 2 weeks.  Ordering Lamp tests now....😉

• Like 2

21 hours ago, JessyCruises said:

Hi. Thanks for posting your experience. We are going on an RCL cruise Jan 29 and I will purchase the RT-lamp for our return so we can test our last night on board.   I am a little concerned that once we disembark and test at the pier that we won’t be offered any assistance from RCL.  Maybe I’m overly paranoid 🙃

• 5 months later...
On 12/31/2021 at 11:46 AM, JessyCruises said:

I just posted this in my live cruise over on RCL but thought I would share it here as well so more of my fellow Canadians would see it.  

We just completed our proctored antigen tests that we ordered from Switch Health.  We are boarding a  flight tomorrow morning and scheduled to sail on Oasis on Sunday.  We used these tests for our flight and cruise in October as well.

These tests are $79 for 2 if ordered through the Aeroplan member link: https://switchhealth.ca/en/partners/aeroplan/#collectionKits.  They are good to fly INTO thebUS and board your cruise but CANNOT be used in to re-enter Canada at this time. 

C5037651-C010-47D7-80C5-354D26286019.thumb.jpeg.7521360750a9a2d2739952b05bf0aea1.jpeg

We ordered these test a few months ago to be prepared.  We logged in at 10:30 AST this morning and it said there was less than 10 people ahead of us.  The agent joined at 10:33.  Hubby and I were able to complete the tests on same video call. 

There were two tests in the kit.  We had to put the QR codes on the cassettes and show government issued photo ID.  She did my test first.  She had me take my phone to the QR code on my cassette so she could take a photo.  She then walked me through the specimen collection and dropping the liquid on the cassette. (15 second swabs of each nostril, 15 rotations in the vial, then squeeze out the liquid from the swab, place the cap and drop 5 drops on the cassette).  Then she did the same with hubby.  The call was over by 10:40.  
4CB9CD33-27D3-452A-B383-3BD482B0F49B.thumb.jpeg.e91504724f66550e70d33ba6c6ee36f5.jpeg

After 15 minutes we had to upload a photo of our cassette to the website.  Switch then reviewed the results and issued the paperwork. I was done my test a few minutes earlier than hubby so I sent my photo at 10:49 I had the PDF with the results by 10:55.  We had Hubby’s by 11:00.

116F78A8-B310-4518-A5D9-B10325564104.thumb.jpeg.7167ca022b546f706aa29e97efaaf957.jpeg

For home tests to be valid for RCL, they need to be video monitored by a health professional and approved by the FDA.  I know the results for the one we had done in October said Abbott Panio and we had no issues boarding.  The packaging in this kit said this test was SD Bionsensor. I don’t remember what the packaging said last time.

7E2AB5AF-0BA3-46DD-A267-292EE479AF09.thumb.jpeg.57de4a67772d934d40fa914d8f53cecf.jpeg

While I was waiting for my results to come in, I went to the FDA and found the FDA approval for the SD Biosensor.  Looks like it was just issued on 12/24download

As you can tell from my photo of my results, they show Abbott this time too.  The two companies must be affiliated. 

Assuming there are no more flight mishaps, we appear to be good to go to board!

Thanks so much for posting this! I am just trying to figure out the procedure now as we will be using them in Italy in a few weeks. I couldn't figure out if I was supposed to write our names and times on that card or if they superimpose it when we send the picture. There doesn't seem to be any reference to it in the manual but maybe we leave it blank until they tell us? Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2022 at 5:25 AM, sydbarrett said:

Thanks so much for posting this! I am just trying to figure out the procedure now as we will be using them in Italy in a few weeks. I couldn't figure out if I was supposed to write our names and times on that card or if they superimpose it when we send the picture. There doesn't seem to be any reference to it in the manual but maybe we leave it blank until they tell us? Thanks again!

You can go ahead and write your name on the card, but leave the time blank. Once you are connected to the proctor, he/she will tell you the times to write down (15 minutes apart) . Once the 15 min are up, you take a pic of the cassette sitting on top of the card with your name, and upload the pic to Switch.

• Like 1