Ensure+ onboard NCL and MSC

pno4te

My husband requires a liquid diet due to a G-tube.  Hauling his containers of food is very heavy and cumbersome.  We are headed to the Mediterranean for 2 weeks of cruising in July.  We would like to have the option of not carrying all that with us (over 65 pounds of liquid!).  Celebrity offers Ensure+ if requested in advance.  Our TA has contacted NCL and MSC and we have also reached out to the access desk without getting any response other than to say that they had approved him bringing 48 containers onboard the ship.  Has anyone here on CC been successful in having Ensure+ provided for them onboard? 

(I also posted this on the NCL Forum but opted to come here directly)

On 12/31/2021 at 12:37 PM, pno4te said:

My husband requires a liquid diet due to a G-tube.  Hauling his containers of food is very heavy and cumbersome.  We are headed to the Mediterranean for 2 weeks of cruising in July.  We would like to have the option of not carrying all that with us (over 65 pounds of liquid!).  Celebrity offers Ensure+ if requested in advance.  Our TA has contacted NCL and MSC and we have also reached out to the access desk without getting any response other than to say that they had approved him bringing 48 containers onboard the ship.  Has anyone here on CC been successful in having Ensure+ provided for them onboard? 

(I also posted this on the NCL Forum but opted to come here directly)

NCL does not provide Ensure but allowed me to bring Jevity and Ensure for my daughter’s Gtube. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2022 at 12:39 PM, kokopelli-az said:

You mention Ensure Plus.   Have you considered getting the Ensure Plus Powder?  It would be a lot lighter.   

https://www.navafresh.com/products/ensure-plus-powder-400g-vanilla?

I have never seen that product before!  It is not listed on the Abbott USA website.  So, I am assuming it is coming from elsewhere?

Edited by pno4te

On 1/2/2022 at 6:23 AM, Longstockingpippi1 said:

NCL does not provide Ensure but allowed me to bring Jevity and Ensure for my daughter’s Gtube. 

Thank you.  MSC has finally answered and they do not provide it so we will have to take Bob's regular Jevity for that week.  Interestingly enough, the Access Desk person I communicate with has said she is asking the ship if they will purchase the Ensure for him.  Let's see what they say.  I will come back here and update when I hear something more final.

26 minutes ago, pno4te said:

I have never seen that product before!  It is not listed on the Abbott USA website.  So, I am assuming it is coming from elsewhere?

I believe it's available only outside the United States (so is not on the Abbott USA website) and is manufactured by Abbott India (and maybe other Abbott facilities).   Ebay has it.   And check Ebay.ca  (from Canada).   

Plan B       original Ensure in powder form which is readily available in the United States.   

Plan C      Or another brand of a similar product in powder form.  

25 minutes ago, kokopelli-az said:

I believe it's available only outside the United States (so is not on the Abbott USA website) and is manufactured by Abbott India (and maybe other Abbott facilities).   Ebay has it.   And check Ebay.ca  (from Canada).   

Plan B       original Ensure in powder form which is readily available in the United States.   

Plan C      Or another brand of a similar product in powder form.  

Thank you.  We will either haul all that Jevity or try a Plan C as you mentioned! 🙂

3 hours ago, pno4te said:

Thank you.  We will either haul all that Jevity or try a Plan C as you mentioned! 🙂

I assume you have thought of this, but just in case... IF you are going to use ANYTHING other than what he has been accustomed to, it's a very good idea to try it at home for a while before leaving.

IF there are any untoward effects, better to have them occur at home, and with regular medical care available, than... in the middle of an ocean or such.

Have you considered seeing if there is some available for purchase at some store in the Port town?  Have it delivered to the Hotel?  (Arrange for it to be delivered well in advance, etc., and still have a Plan B just in case!)

Hopefully all will go well. 🙂

GC

On 1/14/2022 at 8:32 PM, GeezerCouple said:

I assume you have thought of this, but just in case... IF you are going to use ANYTHING other than what he has been accustomed to, it's a very good idea to try it at home for a while before leaving.

IF there are any untoward effects, better to have them occur at home, and with regular medical care available, than... in the middle of an ocean or such.

Have you considered seeing if there is some available for purchase at some store in the Port town?  Have it delivered to the Hotel?  (Arrange for it to be delivered well in advance, etc., and still have a Plan B just in case!)

Hopefully all will go well. 🙂

GC

Thank you for you caring post.  We have thought of this and tried Ensure+ for a week and it seems to be OK for his system.  We can't ship liquid to our hotel in Rome from the US and have tried to contact Abbott Industries in Italy for guidance.  So, far we have not received a response.  I may have go back to the US branch of Abbott for additional guidance since their Italian counterparts haven't responded.  I know that Abbott sells both Jevity and Ensure+ in Italy, but am still valiantly trying to figure out where and if we can get enough