Taking Bags to Testing in NOLA

DwayneG

Travelling on Breakaway from NOLA on Jan 16.  I'm optimistic about going, but my only concern is if one of us tests positive at the Mattiot by the pier if we have already dropped our bags off at the pier.  I'm concerned that it might take hours for them to return our luggage. Has anyone here found it practical to take your bags to testing, then hand carry them to ship checkin? I know this can vary by port... I believe we're testing at Marriott at 859 Convention Center. 

16 minutes ago, DwayneG said:

Travelling on Breakaway from NOLA on Jan 16.  I'm optimistic about going, but my only concern is if one of us tests positive at the Mattiot by the pier if we have already dropped our bags off at the pier.  I'm concerned that it might take hours for them to return our luggage. Has anyone here found it practical to take your bags to testing, then hand carry them to ship checkin? I know this can vary by port... I believe we're testing at Marriott at 859 Convention Center. 

I think your concern is valid, take them with you

1 minute ago, jetact said:

We are on the same ship. We are staying at the Marriott on Canal street so we are leaving our bags there and going early to test and then go back and get our bags after our test. 

good to see someone knows how to use the easy button

If your hotel is close, I would leave your bags at the hotel and go to test.  We did this in NOLA on December 5th.    That would be much easier than taking them with you.   

At the Marriott test site, we were directed to an elevator to go up to the testing area.  You then were directed to walk through a roped walkway to get to the testing & then waiting area.  I didn't see anyone attempt to take all of their bags with them, but it's possible the employees who are directing you from the lobby to the elevator would ask that you not take your bags up with you.  (We did carry a backpack size bag with us.)

• Like 1

On 12/31/2021 at 2:16 PM, DwayneG said:

Is the Marriott testing site a pier check in site or one that you are doing on your own?

I agree that I’m hesitant to put my bags on if it will take hours to get back if one of us tests positive at the pier...

Marriott is the site for the required official NCL test.  Supposedly you check your bags at the pier (or don't), walk across the street to Marriott, get your swab, wait for results, then if you're okay you walk back to the pier with your shiny new wrist band and go through regular cruise check in.  But if you test positive they stick you in a room with the rest of the unclean to wait for them to find your bags. My understanding from other threads is this might take up to 5 hours.  Then you drive yourself home, if you arrived by car, or wait for NCL to help you with a quarantine hotel (theoretically, if you're armed with a clean test within 96 hours prior).

3 minutes ago, NCLGirl2013 said:

If you were driving your own car and parking at the port, in theory would it be better to leave your bags in the car before going to get your COVID test then getting them out afterwards?

That sounds like an outstanding idea!  If you test positive you're on your way back home quickly. Others have also sid they leave bags at their pre-cruise hotel if it's not too far, then go pick it up after testing.

15 minutes ago, DwayneG said:

Marriott is the site for the required official NCL test.  Supposedly you check your bags at the pier (or don't), walk across the street to Marriott, get your swab, wait for results, then if you're okay you walk back to the pier with your shiny new wrist band and go through regular cruise check in.  But if you test positive they stick you in a room with the rest of the unclean to wait for them to find your bags. My understanding from other threads is this might take up to 5 hours.  Then you drive yourself home, if you arrived by car, or wait for NCL to help you with a quarantine hotel (theoretically, if you're armed with a clean test within 96 hours prior).

The point is that there may be a couple three people in this situation out of all of the passengers on the ship. How much inconvenience do you put yourself through (and everyone else around you as you drag your luggage into the testing center) for the very very highly unlikely case you are COVID positive after testing negative a few days earlier. Seems like a total waste of time and effort. Maybe the folks from St. Louis drove the 10 hours to NOLA, most folks would be just entertaining themselves as they wait to enter quarantine. 

If your PCR test comes back negative 96 hours prior to departure, then I would just drop off the bags first before getting the required rapid test before boarding.

Unless you really think you've gotten exposed within that time frame of the PCR test.

58 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The point is that there may be a couple three people in this situation out of all of the passengers on the ship. How much inconvenience do you put yourself through (and everyone else around you as you drag your luggage into the testing center) for the very very highly unlikely case you are COVID positive after testing negative a few days earlier. Seems like a total waste of time and effort. Maybe the folks from St. Louis drove the 10 hours to NOLA, most folks would be just entertaining themselves as they wait to enter quarantine. 

How would my free wheeling suitcase need to be dragged or inconvenience anybody else?

Maybe a stupid question but doing this 1/9.  Do you get anything "special" when you drop your bags that allows you to get into testing site at Marriott?  Or can you just show up to Marriott with cruise docs and get in the line for testing at your "assigned" time?  Thanks