Gyms on RC ships...are they closing?

I'm interested in hearing the situation w/ the fitness center too... before the recent mask changes there was policy I feel I read where if you were on a treadmill or such you could remove your mask -

I believe now, without any special carve out, masks are mandated and I feel like I've read that reservations are required to use the fitness center.

I run a lot and it's stuffy enough inside the fitness center to pound out a run without a mask; I'm thankful Oasis class ships have a decently long dedicated outside track because I know that's where I'll be getting my exercise in during my upcoming cruise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skagen said:

I'm interested in hearing the situation w/ the fitness center too... before the recent mask changes there was policy I feel I read where if you were on a treadmill or such you could remove your mask -

I believe now, without any special carve out, masks are mandated and I feel like I've read that reservations are required to use the fitness center.

I run a lot and it's stuffy enough inside the fitness center to pound out a run without a mask; I'm thankful Oasis class ships have a decently long dedicated outside track because I know that's where I'll be getting my exercise in during my upcoming cruise.

I hear you on this one.  In addition to the original question if gyms are closing, I too would like to know the status of masks and if reservations are required.  I thought I read something about these things too, but can't find where.  One poster did say that there weren't masks used in the gym, but that was days ago and who knows what the latest protocols are or could be.  

• Like 1

I was on the Grandeur this past week.  One day there was no every other treadmill blocked or elliptical.  Every piece of equipment was being used. It was a zoo.  Plus a couple of kids were in.  This was at 645am.  So yes, I did go to guest services and let them know.  So I decided to just run on the track or the 5th floor.  Later in the week on Friday and Saturday I went back around 630am and no one was in there and no indication of anything still being blocked.  I didn't see any classes going on.  On the Adventure in November, before the new requirements they did have the cardio machines blocked off.

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

I was on the Grandeur this past week.

Can I ask you what the masking situation was like this last week if one were for instance running on a treadmill? Did you notice any stated policy specific to the gym? TIA!

• Like 1

Just now, skagen said:

Can I ask you what the masking situation was like this last week if one were for instance running on a treadmill? Did you notice any stated policy specific to the gym? TIA!

well we always masked indoors unless mask could get wet as in running on a treadmill.  So I took mine off those 2 days when I ran.  No one was in the gym.  If there was, I would have left.  It was really windy the one day.  All I had were the N95 and I cannot workout with them.  I tried to stick to the mask and social distancing policy as best I could and feel I was successful as I tested negative the day before my cruise ended for my flight back to the US from barbados.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Onboard the Navigator...gym is beautiful and open...pretty much empty when I used the treadmill and my wife used the recumbent bike...passenger count aprox. 1,800 this NYE sailing...we removed our masks when exercising.

• Like 4

Was on Adventure in August, and Allure and Odyssey in November.  Gym was limited to vaxxed passengers only, so no masks were required. 

On Jewel later this month for 2 weeks, so just picked up some “breathable workout masks” as I’ve seen some posts about masks being required even while working out.  Hoping I won’t need to use them on the treadmill, but wanted to be prepared!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JsMom2 said:

On Jewel later this month for 2 weeks, so just picked up some “breathable workout masks”

Same here - there is no way they function as protection but it'll check the box if absolutely necessary.  Brand I went with was "Borgasets" and I thought I'd try considering those 3d face brackets you can use to keep the cloth an inch or so away from your mouth.  Not sure how that'd work but they were super cheap so figured I'd try it.

Curious which brand you went with

Christmas Brilliance cruise: Vaxxed only. Masks required at all times including use of aerobic equipment and classes. The gym was never crowded, even in the morning. If you're taking a specialty class, be warned, price is now $20 per individual class. However, there are package deals available.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2022 at 8:47 AM, skagen said:

Same here - there is no way they function as protection but it'll check the box if absolutely necessary.  Brand I went with was "Borgasets" and I thought I'd try considering those 3d face brackets you can use to keep the cloth an inch or so away from your mouth.  Not sure how that'd work but they were super cheap so figured I'd try it.

Curious which brand you went with

Wasn’t happy with the ones I got, so sent them back to Amazon.  I ordered some borgasetd and a nybee to try out, and after seeing your post ordered a face bracket as well.  Thank goodness for those free returns at Amazon!

• Like 1