Rhine or Danube for Christmas Markets?

EeyoreRN

Rhine or Danube  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Rhine or Danube for Christmas Cruise? DH and I are planning our first/possibly only ever river cruise. Decided to do Christmas markets. Which do you prefer?

• Rhine
    • Danube

DH and I are planning our first, possibly only, ever river cruise. We've decided to make it Christmas Markets. Do you prefer the Rhine or the Danube if you could only pick one?  We also haven't selected a cruise line yet, but first will pick the route. Any recommendations are welcome. 

Thanks!

Haven't been on either, but after watching Cruise with Ben and David's videos on their Rhine Christmas market cruise, I would choose the Rhine because Strasbourg looks GORGEOUS!!! 

Funny, I am not a Christmas person at all, and I detest cold weather, but after watching those videos, I think we may shoot for a Dec 2023 cruise. Everything looked so charming and romantic and festive. We have discussed river cruises many times. I think it's time we planned one. We can back another time for the Danube, perhaps in warmer weather. 

2 minutes ago, kimlovesfl said:

Haven't been on either, but after watching Cruise with Ben and David's videos on their Rhine Christmas market cruise, I would choose the Rhine because Strasbourg looks GORGEOUS!!! 

Funny, I am not a Christmas person at all, and I detest cold weather, but after watching those videos, I think we may shoot for a Dec 2023 cruise. Everything looked so charming and romantic and festive. We have discussed river cruises many times. I think it's time we planned one. We can back another time for the Danube, perhaps in warmer weather. 

Funny we are in EXACTLY the same place LOL. Ben and David are the ones who gave us the idea and we have talked and talked about river cruises, never done it, but those videos made us ready to plan for Christmas 2023 or 2024.  We don't like cold either, but we are ready to bundle up!  We originally assumed Rhine would be best because that's what B&D were doing, but after a few weeks of surface searching, I'm thinking maybe Danube would offer a little more?  It's kind of overwhelming.

We have done both and they are both great!! However I would choose the Danube because of the markets in Budapest, Vienna, Nuremberg & Prague. We have been fortunate to cruise 7 river cruises, all with Avalon and the Christmas Markets is my favorite!!

• Like 3

Unless time is a problem do both as one trip. Problem solved, otrherwise I'd say Danube.

As for which cruise company, Avalon was fantastic for us in 2018. Have heard good reports for Scenic (my next best choice as it's an Australian company, and, from what I have read is popular with USA cruisers). Viking and Evergreen are a couple more.

Edited by lyndarra
  • Like 1

On 1/2/2022 at 2:23 PM, EeyoreRN said:

Funny we are in EXACTLY the same place LOL. Ben and David are the ones who gave us the idea and we have talked and talked about river cruises, never done it, but those videos made us ready to plan for Christmas 2023 or 2024.  We don't like cold either, but we are ready to bundle up!  We originally assumed Rhine would be best because that's what B&D were doing, but after a few weeks of surface searching, I'm thinking maybe Danube would offer a little more?  It's kind of overwhelming.

Strasbourg looked soooo beautiful, which is why I was thinking of that one. 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2022 at 6:19 PM, lyndarra said:

Unless time is a problem do both as one trip. Problem solved, otrherwise I'd say Danube.

As for which cruise company, Avalon was fantastic for us in 2018. Have heard good reports for Scenic (my next best choice as it's an Australian company, and, from what I have read is popular with USA cruisers). Viking and Evergreen are a couple more.

I can't say the thought of both hadn't crossed my mind, LOL, but time IS an issue, so we will have to choose one this trip. And for now, we have to assume this will be the only one, since we have many many other things we want to do. Thanks for your suggestions!

On 1/2/2022 at 5:09 PM, BPCruiser said:

We have done both and they are both great!! However I would choose the Danube because of the markets in Budapest, Vienna, Nuremberg & Prague. We have been fortunate to cruise 7 river cruises, all with Avalon and the Christmas Markets is my favorite!!

Thank you for this!  Yeah, I wasn't sure if we should go for more a town/villages thing or stick to big capitals. It seems like that is the difference between the 2?

On 1/4/2022 at 9:48 AM, kimlovesfl said:

Strasbourg looked soooo beautiful, which is why I was thinking of that one. 

I agree about Strasbourg.That is the one on the Rhine I'd feel really torn about missing, but I think the Danube has a number more I'd feel FOMO over LOL.

I have done the Christmas Markets on both the Rhine and the Danube and enjoyed them both very much. I have used 2 different cruise lines and I would recommend you choose by the itinerary offered. Here are my tips:

Rhine - Be sure the cruise starts or ends in Basel, a charming city in Switzerland with multiple Christmas Markets. Strasbourg is not to be missed, beautiful decorations, food and being in France. Stay in the city for lunch but reserve at a restaurant ahead. Side trips in Alsace are wonderful (Obernai, Kayserberg, and Riquewihr were favorites.) Going north on the Rhine many cruises have options to go to Baden Baden in the Black Forest or Heidelberg. I enjoyed the Christmas Markets in Mainz, Wiesbaden and Rudesheim. Koblenz is where the Rhine meets the Mosel and I enjoyed wine tasting in the surrounding hills. The markets at Cologne can’t be beat!  They have many but the 3 largest are my favorites. They are very crowded at night so be sure to spend some time in the day for serious shopping. Anything north of Cologne I would skip.

Danube - Be sure you include Regensburg (and Nuremberg if possible) where the private Thun & Taxis Christmas Market is on the castle grounds, done in medieval times. There is usually an option to go to Salzburg when you are near Linz. Vienna has numerous markets that are wonderful. My favorites are at the Rathaus (City Hall) around St. Stephens Cathedral, and on the grounds of Schonbrunn Palace. Budapest has a couple of markets, but the best part is the night cruise on the Danube!

You won’t make a mistake with either river. Look at the cruises’s stops which I would say is the most important. I find the food, drinks and rooms on the cruises are very similar.

• Like 1

EyeoreRN

We did a Danube sailing a few years back (Christmas Day to New Yrs Day on AMA) - some markets were still open and we enjoyed our sailing very much. Key to the cold - dress in layers (thermal layer base) and hand warmers! We were fortunate weather wise - 50's (no rain or snow).

River cruising (as I am sure you have read on these boards) is very different then ocean cruising....but if you go with the right attitude and expectations you will have a fantastic time. 

any questions - ask away

Bob (from NY as well)

Honey Jan wrote almost exactly what I thought as I read though the thread. But, it’s one of those situations where you can’t make a bad decision! 

I would suggest you take a close look at the detailed itineraries. How late is the departure? Are there any overnights? In Nuremberg and Strasbourg particularly, do they offer a number of shuttles to from the ship to downtown? What evening activities do they offer in cities?

We experienced a wonderful choral performance in one of the small churches in Regenburg as well as a terrific Organ and mass choir concert in the Speyer Cathedral. The later did not show on the itinerary as last minute. Kudos to the GCT Trip Experience Leaders (TEL), Chef and Captain. On our walking tour of Speyer, one of the TELs noticed a poster about the the, one night only, concert. Before the walking tour was over the Captain and Chef committed to revamping the evening schedule and departure so that we all could attend the concert.

Lastly, don’t be afraid to skip a dinner on board in order to experience one of the larger markets at night. There is more than enough to eat and drink in any market that we never even thought of making a restaurant reservation. Just don’t miss the ship!

Edited by CPT Trips