Mask through Jan 31st?

CrzN4Info

41 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

I can't even conceive of not taking a cruise because of having to wear a mask.  Just doesn't compute with me, I guess.

It's a good thing that people are different and the cruiselines can be happy that lots of people are prepared to cruise even if they have to wear a mask.

I should not wear a mask at work and defenitely not on vacation. I follow every rule so if the rule is that masks shall be worn somewhere I just don't go there. For me that is very easy.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

It's a good thing that people are different and the cruiselines can be happy that lots of people are prepared to cruise even if they have to wear a mask.

I should not wear a mask at work and defenitely not on vacation. I follow every rule so if the rule is that masks shall be worn somewhere I just don't go there. For me that is very easy.

I completely get that, which is why I made it clear that I couldn't conceive of it.  I am not, under any circumstances, going to deny myself getting back and seeing the world over a 3 or 4 gram weight piece of fabric. 

26 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

I completely get that, which is why I made it clear that I couldn't conceive of it.  I am not, under any circumstances, going to deny myself getting back and seeing the world over a 3 or 4 gram weight piece of fabric. 

Oh, I agree the 3 or 4 gram weight piece of fabric would not be a big deal if it were in my pocket. Put it on my face and it becomes a big deal.  It's not the weight. It's the placement.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

We were on the Encore on Christmas week.  We followed the rules and masked up as required.  I would say close to 50% either did not wear a mask or wore it incorrectly (aka the chinstrap).  We never saw any crew members enforce it.

Wearing masks did not bother us in the least.  We still had a great time. We are used to it and would have worn masks inside anyway.

If you aren't willing to follow the rules, please stay home.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

It makes no sense to wear a mask for the 10 minutes it takes to walk to the dining area and then remove the mask for the 90 minutes the meal takes.

You cut your chance of getting/giving Covid by 10%.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, latserrof said:

For some people, "having to wear a mask" indicates that the cruise is not as safe as it should be.

That is a fair assessment.  Which means, of course, that those of that mind will likely not travel for another year, perhaps.

After almost 2 years and 17 cancelled trips, we felt it was time to move on.  We spent 2 months in Europe, 40 days on ships and were as careful as we are at home (which means mask wearing at all times inside unless actively eating).  The ships we were on were 100% vaxxed and mask compliance was around 95% (Azamara) and 85% (NCL) when in Europe and about 50% (NCL) after we left the EU.  We stayed masked the whole time.

It was one of our best trips ever. 

46 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Oh, I agree the 3 or 4 gram weight piece of fabric would not be a big deal if it were in my pocket. Put it on my face and it becomes a big deal.  It's not the weight. It's the placement.

Just curious, actually with no intent.  Why?

10 minutes ago, latserrof said:

For some people, "having to wear a mask" indicates that the cruise is not as safe as it should be.

For me it's not about safety. It's that I won't enjoy the cruise if I have to wear a mask so I rather spend my money on something else. 

• Like 1

We did a Christmas cruise on the Getaway.  Masking wasn't enforced nearly as much as we would have liked - folks with noses out or no mask at all in several places inside, especially during disembarkation.  Reports of passengers with symptoms out and about on excursions and staff ignoring reports of potentially ill passengers.  Several people just in our roll call tested positive within 4 days of disembarkation - not us, thankfully!  Trying to decide if we want to cancel the cruise we have planned for this year, just because everything is such a mess. 

43 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

For me it's not about safety. It's that I won't enjoy the cruise if I have to wear a mask so I rather spend my money on something else. 

We thought the same thing when the rule was changed a week before we set sail…we were wrong…we had a blast, and we hate wearing masks period….each has to make their own decision, but we were amazed at how much we enjoyed the cruise even with the annoyance of wearing a mask where required.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dreamcruiser2 said:

We were on the Encore on Christmas week.  We followed the rules and masked up as required.  I would say close to 50% either did not wear a mask or wore it incorrectly (aka the chinstrap).  We never saw any crew members enforce it.

Wearing masks did not bother us in the least.  We still had a great time. We are used to it and would have worn masks inside anyway.

If you aren't willing to follow the rules, please stay home.

I always follow the rules so I guess I would get to go and not have to stay home. Sounds like they don't enforce it.  I'm mostly curious if they make you wear it outside on deck walking around or by the pool, at a bar where people go to socialize, etc.

18 hours ago, barbatkins said:

I was on Breakaway in December and they certainly did enforce the mask requirement unless you were seated in a restaurant.  

it is…..what it is….  

if you dont want to wear a mask…..don’t go…

This is good to hear as I am going on the Breakaway in mid-january. I plan on masking...perhaps even double masking and spending lots of time on my balcony. I've heard varying things about the enforcement of masking on other ships. 

23 minutes ago, CrzN4Info said:

Sounds like they don't enforce it

What are they going to do? Give lifetime bans from NCL?. ONE warning then a life ban. That would be a huge thing. There is a woman who assaulted the DJ on Cunard a few years back on new years eve. She got the carnival wide ban from 7 cruise lines. Here cruising career is practically over.

Edited by ace2542

4 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

What are they going to do? Give lifetime bans from NCL?. ONE warning then a life ban. That would be a huge thing. There is a woman who assaulted the DJ on Cunard a few years back on new years eve. She got the carnival wide ban from 7 cruise lines. Here cruising career is practically over.

The captain can disembark you from the ship at the next port...  Note weibsite no longer links to this policy, but was on website for a couple of days.   The face covering policy noted gives us a clue how they might be thinking.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/sites/default/files/2021-12/sail-safe-health-program-v23.pdf

Edited by davencl
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

It makes no sense to wear a mask for the 10 minutes it takes to walk to the dining area and then remove the mask for the 90 minutes the meal takes.

perhaps.

but whom will you pass in that ten minute walk? how many people will you come in close contact with? and how many people will you come in contact with when you're eating at your dining table?

1 hour ago, latserrof said:

You cut your chance of getting/giving Covid by 10%.

proper wearing of masks is the single most important public health measure we can take, proven to cut covid incidence by 53% (BMJ global study).

5 hours ago, bassmaster150 said:

oh, and on a side note, we are from Texas where we have more freedoms on wearing or not wearing masks...

do you have more "freedoms" in texas?

or fewer laws?

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, davencl said:

The captain can disembark you from the ship at the next port...

But they haven't been have they? They haven't made any noise about it if they have. There are people on the no fly list with planes who will NEVER be able to fly around America again or leave American again for refusing to wear a mask aren't there? A situation which will have a massive impact on their lives.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

But they haven't been have they? They haven't made any noise about it if they have. There are people on the no fly list with planes who will NEVER be able to fly around America again or leave American again for refusing to wear a mask aren't there? A situation which will have a massive impact on their lives.

Yes I would doubt they would actually do it.  My point was what they could do...

10 minutes ago, davencl said:

Yes I would doubt they would actually do it.  My point was what they could do...

But they are doing nothing though. And if they do nothing what is the point to having the rules if they are not to be enforced?

Edited by ace2542
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, CrzN4Info said:

We were thinking of booking a spring cruise but don't to wear a mask.  The current policy reads that a mask is required through Jan 31, 2022.  Has anyone been on a cruise lately and are they strict about the mask policy?  Thanks.

I couldn't find where you're sailing from. I think your departure port makes a difference.

I sailed out of New York over Christmas holiday right after NCL changed to a masked policy. Mask compliance is very high. 95% of passengers wore a mask where required. However, the quality of the masks is poor. 95% of these same passengers do not wear a KN95/N95 quality mask. They wore cloth masks or surgical masks.

In general, the more crowded a venue is and more crew to enforce the policy, the more likely crew will enforce the mask policy at the venue.

If you are concerned about bringing COVID home to someone who's not vaccinated or vulnerable, wear a KN95/N95 mask, isolate and test yourself when you get back, or don't go.

*Disclaimer, this may have all changed since.

Indoors

• Dining in a restaurant - The policy is that masks are required except while eating. However, crew did not ask passengers to wear a mask when seated at the table, whether you are actively eating, drinking, or not. When you enter or exit, go the buffet or restroom etc., you are expected to wear a mask.
  • Drinking at a bar - The policy is that masks are required except while actively drinking. However, depending on the bar, the crew may ask you to wear a mask even if you are actively drinking (waiting to order, holding your drink in your hand, talking to other passengers). I presume because you are in closer long term proximity to the bartenders.
  • If you are not seated at a restaurant or bar, walking the ship, etc. and crew spot you, you will be asked to wear a mask.
  • Everywhere else indoors, if you are spotted by crew not wearing a mask, you will be asked to wear one.
  • You don't have to wear a mask inside your own cabin or balcony.

Outdoors

• You will only be asked to wear a mask where social distancing is not possible. Poolside including inside hot tubs, no one was asked to wear a mask except when there was a party where it starts to get crowded and "social distancing is not possible", then crew will announce or ask passengers to wear a mask e.g. pool party, sexy legs contest, etc.
  • Some crew may not be clear about the outdoor rule. A quick challenge "I'll confirm with the GM" and they will get it right.

Edited by kylenyc

4 hours ago, UKstages said:

do you have more "freedoms" in texas?

or fewer laws?

I call it more "freedoms" because we don't have mask mandates, etc.  I guess you could say "fewer laws"...either way, life is more fun in Texas for us...but note that my wife and I tend to keep to ourselves and keep our distance when possible.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kylenyc said:

I couldn't find where you're sailing from. I think your departure port makes a difference.

I sailed out of New York over Christmas holiday right after NCL changed to a masked policy. Mask compliance is very high. 95% of passengers wore a mask where required. However, the quality of the masks is poor. 95% of these same passengers do not wear a KN95/N95 quality mask. They wore cloth masks or surgical masks.

In general, the more crowded a venue is and more crew to enforce the policy, the more likely crew will enforce the mask policy at the venue.

If you are concerned about bringing COVID home to someone who's not vaccinated or vulnerable, wear a KN95/N95 mask, isolate and test yourself when you get back, or don't go.

*Disclaimer, this may have all changed since.

Indoors

• Dining in a restaurant - The policy is that masks are required except while eating. However, crew did not ask passengers to wear a mask when seated at the table, whether you are actively eating, drinking, or not. When you enter or exit, go the buffet or restroom etc., you are expected to wear a mask.
  • Drinking at a bar - The policy is that masks are required except while actively drinking. However, depending on the bar, the crew may ask you to wear a mask even if you are actively drinking (waiting to order, holding your drink in your hand, talking to other passengers). I presume because you are in closer long term proximity to the bartenders.
  • If you are not seated at a restaurant or bar, walking the ship, etc. and crew spot you, you will be asked to wear a mask.
  • Everywhere else indoors, if you are spotted by crew not wearing a mask, you will be asked to wear one.
  • You don't have to wear a mask inside your own cabin or balcony.

Outdoors

• You will only be asked to wear a mask where social distancing is not possible. Poolside including inside hot tubs, no one was asked to wear a mask except when there was a party where it starts to get crowded and "social distancing is not possible", then crew will announce or ask passengers to wear a mask e.g. pool party, sexy legs contest, etc.
  • Some crew may not be clear about the outdoor rule. A quick challenge "I'll confirm with the GM" and they will get it right.

Thank you, this is wonderful information.  It’s a hard decision.  I understand why they require the mask and would do as they require but just don’t want to wear one while on vacation, especially at the pool or the “sexy legs contest” if it gets too crowded lol.  I really do appreciate you taking the time to get this to me.  This truly helped my family make up our minds.  Oh and thank you for not assuming I would defy the mask mandate by not wearing one as others did.  🙂 Thanks again!