Update Christmas Panorama Sailing Home with Covid

smellywax

So we took a CoVId test after getting off the Carnival Panorama sailing that ended 12/31/2021 and we tested positive for CoVId. We wore N95 Masks everywhere except inside cabin, spa wet areas, and main dining room. Just letting everyone know. We had symptoms of cough, headache and body ache last day so that’s why I wanted to test.

• Thanks 7

5 minutes ago, smellywax said:

So we took a CoVId test after getting off the Carnival Panorama sailing that ended 12/31/2021 and we tested positive for CoVId. We wore N95 Masks everywhere except inside cabin, spa wet areas, and main dining room. Just letting everyone know. We had symptoms of cough, headache and body ache last day so that’s why I wanted to test.

Thanks for the update. Hope you two are both feeling better soon and wish you a speedy recovery. Thanks for taking the time to update folks about your cruise, a lot of us appreciated it. 

• Like 4

Guest BasicSailor
7 minutes ago, smellywax said:

I am so sorry to hear this as I know you guys were enjoying your cruise. So, hoping and praying for a fast recovery.

So sorry to hear this. Please take every precaution to remain well(or as well as can be expected). I hope your symptoms subside soon. 

You have been very instrumental in documenting you journey for us. Thanks so much. Hope you make it home in good stay.  

• Like 3

Sorry to hear that, get well soon. Despite catching it, good to hear you took all the precautions that you could to be safe. Hopefully most passengers going forward do the same to help keep crew and guests as safe as possible. 

• Like 3

Thanks for your reports. I am sailing on Thursday. I also am vigilant about covid safety, but half expect to end up with it. If not from the cruise itself, from the airports, planes, gas station, bathrooms, basically anywhere and everywhere.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, land64shark said:

Thanks for your reports. I am sailing on Thursday. I also am vigilant about covid safety, but half expect to end up with it. If not from the cruise itself, from the airports, planes, gas station, bathrooms, basically anywhere and everywhere.

Another way we could have gotten it is from the room steward my mom and sister had who was no longer around after introducing himself the first night. Our lady took over their cabins and said they are not told anything. I would hope if a crew member is positive and has been in contact with guests, Carnival would let them know…but from this I am guessing that is not the case. Just double mask

and have fun on your terms 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So sorry to hear that.We’re there 4 people in your group and did you all get it?I was reading your posts throughout your cruise as my group of 10 family members we’re booked on January 8th cruise and had a hard time deciding whether to go or cancel.A few in the group have underlying conditions and after reading about all the positive cases on your cruise and the CDC again strongly recommending not to cruise we all decided to cancel,I hope you have a mild cases and get well soon.I read on other posts from other ships of people testing positive after getting off their cruise.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that you have tested positive. I pray for a speedy recovery.

This is not a question but something I was thinking about while I was on the Panorama Christmas cruise too.  I wonder if they change out the pillows or disinfect them after each cruise. I believe the answer is no and could they be spreading the virus on the ship.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, rlopes said:

This is not a question but something I was thinking about while I was on the Panorama Christmas cruise too.  I wonder if they change out the pillows or disinfect them after each cruise. I believe the answer is no and could they be spreading the virus on the ship.

Your belief is incorrect.  Pillow cases and sheets are changed and washed after every cruise; it's a big part of what the crew calls "turnover day."   Like luggage handling, it's a huge task.  

(Those who have done the Behind the Fun tours learn a lot about how laundry is handled; it's actually nifty.)  

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Pellaz said:

Your belief is incorrect.  Pillow cases and sheets are changed and washed after every cruise; it's a big part of what the crew calls "turnover day."   Like luggage handling, it's a huge task.  

(Those who have done the Behind the Fun tours learn a lot about how laundry is handled; it's actually nifty.)  

They are referring to the actual pillows not cases

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, rlopes said:

The whole "disinfection" of anything is mostly theater. It is fairly well understood that COVID travels in aerosol/droplets. There is virtually no evidence pointing to any significant surface transmission. A virus also wouldn't live in a pillow.

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, dmcfad2 said:

I have a friend who was on this sailing. She also tested positive for Covid this morning.

Oh no! Sorry to hear that. Hope they had a great cruise otherwise. I know Panorama is back out now but no updates on her so far. 

Edited by cruisingguy007

So sorry to hear this, I was on the cruise before yours, the only thing I did differently was not do the wet spa areas, I also wore my mask outside where there were lots of people like the pool area or the walking track.

Hope you get well soon.

Fred

They could be using an Electrostatic Fogger prior to cleaning the cabins who knows.  Each cabin would probably only take 10 minutes to sanitize and then they could be sure the cabin was disinfected.  Also they can install UV lights in the Main Air Ducting which would eliminate the requirement for specialized filters.  All the things we do for buildings can be done on ship. Foggers are easy to use, handheld and portable so a few on each floor could sanitize all the rooms quickly. 

• Like 2

Covid is everywhere. It's airborne. Unless you always stay 6 feet away from everyone you have a chance of getting it.

Omicron is even more contagious.

That is unfortunate that you tested positive but very glad to hear you are not dealing with severe symptoms.

• Like 2

Thank you for your detailed journey and your honesty along the way.  I am sorry to hear you all contacted the virus (sounds like prob omicron with the mild symptoms for vax ppl) but not unexpected.  At least it happened on last day of your week as it sounds like you had a great time otherwise.  

Thank you for being vax and it definitely played to your advantage in how sick you became but you did everything you could and followed protocol.   Hope you all feel better soon and continue to follow protocol as you can get it again and pass it along as well.  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Joebucks said:

The whole "disinfection" of anything is mostly theater. It is fairly well understood that COVID travels in aerosol/droplets. There is virtually no evidence pointing to any significant surface transmission. A virus also wouldn't live in a pillow.

Yep.  1 in 10,000 chance, in fact, per CDC:  

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/more/science-and-research/surface-transmission.html

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Wennfred said:

So sorry to hear this, I was on the cruise before yours, the only thing I did differently was not do the wet spa areas, I also wore my mask outside where there were lots of people like the pool area or the walking track.

Hope you get well soon.

Fred

I also had my mask on outdoors. Lots of coughing on this sailing (typical to what you hear during flu season). The table on either side of us at dinner had several kids so who knows I’d they were vaccinated but the dining room was full and everyone close and up and dancing during showtime.

2 minutes ago, smellywax said:

I also had my mask on outdoors. Lots of coughing on this sailing (typical to what you hear during flu season). The table on either side of us at dinner had several kids so who knows I’d they were vaccinated but the dining room was full and everyone close and up and dancing during showtime.

Lucky for me I was seated right by the entrance of the MDR and on this 6 day cruise I heard only 2 people cough due to some food they were consuming, on the 18 Sept cruise one lady constantly coughed, probably on Lisinopril for Blood Pressure which causes you to cough a lot, no one in her group was concerned. I was out of the dining room before SHOWTIME. LoL

1 hour ago, Wennfred said:

Lucky for me I was seated right by the entrance of the MDR and on this 6 day cruise I heard only 2 people cough due to some food they were consuming, on the 18 Sept cruise one lady constantly coughed, probably on Lisinopril for Blood Pressure which causes you to cough a lot, no one in her group was concerned. I was out of the dining room before SHOWTIME. LoL

Same thing happened to me during the original covid when things were just starting to open back up. We were vacationing in San Diego at Capri By The Sea and I had some gift cards for Outback Steakhouse that I needed to use up so we headed on over there for dinner. Mind you indoor dining had just opened back up literally days before (every other table, very limited capacity and everyone on edge); so I commence to chowing down on my bone in ribeye and lobster and sure enough, I swallow something down the wrong pipe and break into the mother of all coughing fits that just would not clear. The whole restaurant gave me the stink eye like I had committed a mortal sin and you could hear a pin drop. It was mortifying. 

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear you got sick.  In my opinion, if people are traveling anywhere right now, there is a good chance they will contract Covid.  We were at WDW this past week and one member of our family has tested positive (no symptoms at all but had to test prior to returning to school).

• Like 1

Covid is crazy rampant right now. It went from no one around us to having it to everyone!  They say masks aren’t working as well with the Omicron. I’m pretty sure my hubby had it when we got back from Oahu in October. Thought it was a cold, and he recovered quickly so just never got tested.  4 grandkids all got it 2 weeks later. (They had to get tested for school) I lucked out and never got sick, even with 1 granddaughter coughing directly in my face! Boosted, so I think that’s why. We are cruising in March, then spending 4 night at universal. I’m a bit nervous, but we will see. No plans to cancel. 

• Like 1