Take Outs from MDR

FrostyJoe

Anyone know how we can go about and do take outs from MDR (on the Meraviglia)?   I'm curious about the logistics of it... If they have any type of "to-go" packaging; or if we'll have to take back food one plate at a time...

Also, anyone have experience ordering from MSC's baby food menu via room service?  Thank you in advance!

I have never heard of being able to order takeout from the MDR.  Occasionally I have seen someone leave with a dessert to be consumed in the cabin later, but NEVER meals.  

There is no "to go" packaging onboard unless you are in a COVID quarantine room so that's not really what you want 🙂

You can order room service on the Mera (with a service charge) or go to the Buffet and make a tray to take back to your cabin.  To go from the MDR is just not a thing (someone feel free to correct me...)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Morgsmom said:

I have never heard of being able to order takeout from the MDR.  Occasionally I have seen someone leave with a dessert to be consumed in the cabin later, but NEVER meals.  

There is no "to go" packaging onboard unless you are in a COVID quarantine room so that's not really what you want 🙂

You can order room service on the Mera (with a service charge) or go to the Buffet and make a tray to take back to your cabin.  To go from the MDR is just not a thing (someone feel free to correct me...)

Hmm.. We've never done take outs (unless we count the bottle of wine 🙂 ) before either....but I was reading some folks were taking food from MDR to go.  Even if they allow it, it's not possible without some sort of to-go packaging unless we want to shuttle like 10 plates of food (we're big eaters!!)

Just getting some ideas on trying to minimize omicron exposure--I know we will certainly get it in the end but last thing we want is being stuck in a quarantine room....

Also, I'm getting mixed guidance about the Aurea breakfast.  Some MSC cruisers and telephone rep says Aurea is just free delivery of continental breakfast.  But this morning, I just spoke with MSC rep on the phone whom personally went on Mera last month on Fantastica--and said she was able to order omlets etc via room service without additional fee.....

On 1/3/2022 at 9:58 AM, FrostyJoe said:

Also, I'm getting mixed guidance about the Aurea breakfast.  Some MSC cruisers and telephone rep says Aurea is just free delivery of continental breakfast.  But this morning, I just spoke with MSC rep on the phone whom personally went on Mera last month on Fantastica--and said she was able to order omlets etc via room service without additional fee.....

That might have been special treatment.... since the cruiser was an MSC employee... but can't say

25 minutes ago, Happygcruiser said:

In February we were quarantined on the Grandiosa. We were ordering food from the MDR, from the normal dinner menu. But of course these were extraordinary circumstances.

Came like this:

9D070003-083A-410C-8D96-3B9D4E9250BE.jpeg

oh boy!!!  First of all, hope ya'll had a mild case!!!  But you have photographic evidence that not only do they do take outs, but they do room service too!!!! LOL

I see a catch-22 here.  Eat @ MDR, increase exposure to MDR.  Catch covid and finally get the MDR takeouts/room service we're looking for 😄

I took leftovers from Butcher’s Cut on the Seashore in December.  They had to-go packaging and a large gift-style paper bag.  This doesn’t mean they have containers in the MDRs.  Seems likely they could use a room service cover for your food.  Or pack your own re-usable plastic containers from home.  

Y'all, "Take out" is NOT a thing from the MDR.  They are not set up for this.  The meals shown above were for quarantined Pax, not folks who want take out.  You can make a plate at the Buffet and bring it to your cabin --- OR order from Room Service.  I've been on 40+ cruises (before and during COVID) and never seen takeout orders from the MDR.  Your experience might vary......

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Morgsmom said:

Y'all, "Take out" is NOT a thing from the MDR.  They are not set up for this.  The meals shown above were for quarantined Pax, not folks who want take out.  You can make a plate at the Buffet and bring it to your cabin --- OR order from Room Service.  I've been on 40+ cruises (before and during COVID) and never seen takeout orders from the MDR.  Your experience might vary......

Ha, yea we’ve never seen it before either. But hey, if we tip Matrie d couple hundreds bucks perhaps the magic may happen 🙂

13 hours ago, FrostyJoe said:

oh boy!!!  First of all, hope ya'll had a mild case!!!  But you have photographic evidence that not only do they do take outs, but they do room service too!!!! LOL

I see a catch-22 here.  Eat @ MDR, increase exposure to MDR.  Catch covid and finally get the MDR takeouts/room service we're looking for 😄

Thank you! We didn't had COVID at all. They said that according they tracing (with the wristwatches provided), my wife was close to someone for more than 10 minutes over 24 hrs, who was suspected positive. So we had to be quarantined there. (And NO, they didn't told me with whom my wife spent time... 🙂 )

3 hours ago, Happygcruiser said:

Thank you! We didn't had COVID at all. They said that according they tracing (with the wristwatches provided), my wife was close to someone for more than 10 minutes over 24 hrs, who was suspected positive. So we had to be quarantined there. (And NO, they didn't told me with whom my wife spent time... 🙂 )

Ouchhh that’s the worst kind of quarantine…..

did y’all get refund and FCC as a result of that?

I've wished MDR takeaway would be a thing - at a cost, of course - for as long as I've been cruising.  I wish it even more fervently these days!  Alas, I understand at least some of the reasons cruise lines aren't interested in offering this.  I'm glad to know that they're doing right by quarantined guests as best they can.

HappyGCruiser,

How did they contact you to let you know that you were going to be quarantined because of contact tracing?  Did they announce your name on the loudspeaker? Call your cell phone?   Where did they ask you to report to? Did you get a chance to go back to your cabin to get a bag and your medicines, etc.?  

2 hours ago, Explorer525 said:

HappyGCruiser,

How did they contact you to let you know that you were going to be quarantined because of contact tracing?  Did they announce your name on the loudspeaker? Call your cell phone?   Where did they ask you to report to? Did you get a chance to go back to your cabin to get a bag and your medicines, etc.?  

We got a phone call in the cabin at 23:30 in the night. Kids were asleep… they said we can pack, and when we are ready, they will come to help us move. So we packed and in an hour some crew members in full HAZMAT suites came for us, and moved us to the closed part of the ship.

Glad they let you pack.  I had heard some say they don't let you go back to your room, and they pack up everything for you, which is not good.  Hopefully its more like you experienced.  I wonder how they would contact you during the day when you are out and about.  I have my ipad all loaded up with books, movies and TV shows.....just in case.

can't speak specifically for MSC, but we did this regularly on Carnival.  Our kid didn't want to eat with us, so we ate in MDR and then took a "to go" pizza for the kid when we were done eating.  The server just gave us the regular ceramic plate with one of the hard plastic covers on it.  I figured room steward then eventually brought that stuff back to the kitchen.  Now you just showing up to the hostess station and picking up your food is probably a whole nother level.

On 1/3/2022 at 9:58 AM, FrostyJoe said:

Hmm.. We've never done take outs (unless we count the bottle of wine 🙂 ) before either....but I was reading some folks were taking food from MDR to go.  Even if they allow it, it's not possible without some sort of to-go packaging unless we want to shuttle like 10 plates of food (we're big eaters!!)

Just getting some ideas on trying to minimize omicron exposure--I know we will certainly get it in the end but last thing we want is being stuck in a quarantine room....

Room Service would be an option

Also- rotating buffet vs main dining

I would think sometimes dinner in the buffet instead of MDR might have less people

The buffet is large and spacious