Experiences on current Caribbean cruises

Dgtrainer99

Is the news from Iona good, dodgy or bad?

Gather Azura has gym and spa closed but she's in Barbados today an there haven't been any screams so far.

Very quiet from both Ventura and Britannia. I'd like to think no news is good news.

5 hours ago, zap99 said:

I have been looking at our BA holiday to Lanza. As things currently stand, 2 weeks in the sun. 4 hours each way in their plane wearing a mask when not eating or drinking. I imagine the meal will take around an hour. So 3 hours wearing a mask is ok.

We went to Lanza in November 2020 ( you may remember my post regarding my dilemma as new rules were being introduced at the time). 

Mask wearing was not that arduous (we flew from BHX) and with meals,  drinks etc,  we probably only spent 50% of our time wearing a mask.  And, before anyone shouts, we were not deliberately spinning out eating or drinking.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, wowzz said:

We went to Lanza in November 2020 ( you may remember my post regarding my dilemma as new rules were being introduced at the time). 

Mask wearing was not that arduous (we flew from BHX) and with meals,  drinks etc,  we probably only spent 50% of our time wearing a mask.  And, before anyone shouts, we were not deliberately spinning out eating or drinking.

Similar to when we were in Menorca last October. Mask on the plane was the rule, so we dealt with it. No big deal. With the current rules masks aren't required on the beach or around the pool, but perhaps when walking around. Again no big deal. For 2 weeks in the sun we will deal with some minor inconveniences.

• Like 1

Latest news from new arrivals on Azura is that all is well. 

Flight over only one third full. 

Carnival/P&O  must be losing money hand over fist at present,  but what else  can  they do ? 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Gather Azura has gym and spa closed but she's in Barbados today an there haven't been any screams so far.

I saw a post on an Azura FB group, made yesterday, asking what happens if you test positive in to he Caribbean and two answers (made 9 and 5 hours ago) said if you are in isolation when you get to Barbados you are transferred to QV until you are able to fly home. People sound quite matter of fact about that, so I would not expect screams.

Seems the Bajan quarantine hotels are reported to be full and not accepting any more people.  Hence people are have to quarantine on a Marella ship, so it has cancelled the next cruise.

I am following this thread to keep up with covid events, so would like to take this opportunity to thank other posters for their info.

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Latest news from new arrivals on Azura is that all is well. 

Flight over only one third full. 

Carnival/P&O  must be losing money hand over fist at present,  but what else  can  they do ? 

I do seriously feel for them. They are doing their best, losing a fortune and getting it in the neck by interested observers. At least the passengers ' seem ' to appreciate their efforts.

5 minutes ago, tring said:

I saw a post on an Azura FB group, made yesterday, asking what happens if you test positive in to he Caribbean and two answers (made 9 and 5 hours ago) said if you are in isolation when you get to Barbados you are transferred to QV until you are able to fly home. People sound quite matter of fact about that, so I would not expect screams.

Seems the Bajan quarantine hotels are reported to be full and not accepting any more people.  Hence people are have to quarantine on a Marella ship, so it has cancelled the next cruise.

I am following this thread to keep up with covid events, so would like to take this opportunity to thank other posters for their info.

Excellent news there is a proper solution for our cruise lines.  The screams and insults about Barbados quarantine have been coming thick and fast from other cruise lines CC boards.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Similar to when we were in Menorca last October. Mask on the plane was the rule, so we dealt with it. No big deal. With the current rules masks aren't required on the beach or around the pool, but perhaps when walking around. Again no big deal. For 2 weeks in the sun we will deal with some minor inconveniences.

Did you get 2 weeks in the sun in Menorca in October Zap?

October can be very hit and miss there 

We like Menorca. Great place to visit and hire a car. So easy to drive round the island. 

What resort do you stay in?

On 1/7/2022 at 10:18 AM, Bazrat said:

Ok got you now so if they test positive than jump on a flight back, they would obviously be happy to infect others

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-10379943/Traveler-catches-fellow-airplane-passenger-texting-friend-COVID.html

Just like this passenger !

Don't know whether to laugh or cry!

13 hours ago, tring said:

Its all an agreed procedure. Only been happening since Christmas. Barbados was providing quarantine hotels til they go full. Plan B is QV.

All those who say that P&O / Cunard aren't prepared for this wave, should note that QV is not sat at anchorage off Bridgetown, Barbados by luck!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Its all an agreed procedure. Only been happening since Christmas. Barbados was providing quarantine hotels til they go full. Plan B is QV.

All those who say that P&O / Cunard aren't prepared for this wave, should note that QV is not sat at anchorage off Bridgetown, Barbados by luck!

If our Feb round trip TA goes ahead, I hope we don't get to see QV!  😲

• Like 1

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

Plan B sounds good.  Having a back up ship is an excellent idea, hopefully the Caribbean season will be able to go ahead as scheduled.  A big plus for P&O compared to other cruise lines IMO.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tring said:

Plan B sounds good.  Having a back up ship is an excellent idea, hopefully the Caribbean season will be able to go ahead as scheduled.  A big plus for P&O compared to other cruise lines IMO.

I think we all would prefer plan B

As someone famously said on Jaws

I think they are going to need a bigger boat!!

Lol

Moley

Who pays if you have to switch boats to quarantine? 

Could be a great earner for the cruise lines?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I think we all would prefer plan B

As someone famously said on Jaws

I think they are going to need a bigger boat!!

Lol

Moley

Who pays if you have to switch boats to quarantine? 

Could be a great earner for the cruise lines?

With a passenger capacity of just over 2,000 on normal occupancy I think the ship is big enough! 

ICF: What are you preparing to do, empty Azura and Britannia completely? They're only on two week cycles and nowhere near capacity.  You asked me elsewhere if I was glad I didn't have to quarantine in Barbados- if it had been on Queen Victoria I'd have done it happily! 10 days reading, catching up on films and tv downloads watching the sky and sea on my own is what I normally pay Cunard thousands for on a grand voyage and there it was for free ... 

• Like 2

Just one point, we have just got off Azura in Barbados. As the UK government had changed their rules about returning to the Uk, P& O said that all people leaving the ship in Barbados on 7 and 8 January would not need to take LFTs but those staying on would . No doubt that the company would save money on this. We have just been for our 2 day PCRs so fingers crossed.

So far so good for 14th cruise!  Don't want to jinx it!  Need help re cabin.  Been contacted by P&O and been asked if we wanted to "upgrade" at a cost.  Since I have no idea of whether original cabin was good or not I need help!.  Original cabin is G415.  We were advised that whilst this was officially a restricted view...it wasn't really.  Now I have no way of knowing if this was right or wrong (don't judge!).  Been offered A109 or A201 for a cost...but would really appreciate any help

Edited by del1701

4 minutes ago, del1701 said:

So far so good for 14th cruise!  Don't want to jinx it!  Need help re cabin.  Been contacted by P&O and been asked if we wanted to "upgrade" at a cost.  Since I have no idea of whether original cabin was good or not I need help!.  

Unless you give us more information, we can't help you.

So, which ship, which cruise, which cabin have you booked,  which cabin have  P&O offered you, and at what cost ?

20 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Unless you give us more information, we can't help you.

So, which ship, which cruise, which cabin have you booked,  which cabin have  P&O offered you, and at what cost ?

Sorry fat fingers sent update half way through!  Ship is Britannia on 14th...cabin numbers as per  update and cost is c£400 all in.

Well, your original obstructed view was mid-ships but the offered standard balcony cabins are near the very front of the ship and of course several decks higher. Some say you will feel more movement up froint (although personally I love that!) aspect, and you will see that A109 is under the Crow's Nest where there could be music playing at times.

A201 is better for that reason - cabins above and below.

Sure, if the lifts are full it will take longer to walk to the centre activities and the restaurants, but you've got all day!

If it were me, I would definitely go for A201, assuming the £400 sounds reasonable (I don't know the actual price difference), simply because I always book front and high anyway!

Edited by bbtablet

46 minutes ago, del1701 said:

So far so good for 14th cruise!  Don't want to jinx it!  Need help re cabin.  Been contacted by P&O and been asked if we wanted to "upgrade" at a cost.  Since I have no idea of whether original cabin was good or not I need help!.  Original cabin is G415.  We were advised that whilst this was officially a restricted view...it wasn't really.  Now I have no way of knowing if this was right or wrong (don't judge!).  Been offered A109 or A201 for a cost...but would really appreciate any help

Hard to judge, one very low down, one very high. I would not go in A109. Good view from G415 as not near lifeboats. but above coffe place.  Shouldn't be noisy. If seasick high at front is not good. See plan below. 

https://www.pocruises.com/content/dam/po/pdfs/ships/2020-Britannia-deck-plans.pdf

Edited by Gettingwarmer

We have had G224 previously which is near the front staircase.  Very convenient for nipping down to public areas by stair.  Quiet too.

Had a superior deluxe same sort of positiomon deck 15 January 2020 and it was extremely noisy. Not only chair/sunbed movement early morning but also if outside events on deck going on late the music was overwhelming like being played in your room.  Ship was full so could not move but received £200pp compensation on return. P&O admitted they knew there were noise issues and gave us ear plugs to help.

1 hour ago, del1701 said:

Just checked and we were A319. Meant to add our deck 15 balcony was shaded at all times due to overhang. I recall that front to midshires balcony deck 15 is shaded both sides.

G224 was sunny.

1 hour ago, del1701 said:

One used to be able to find on P&O's website hidden away pictures of the views from all partially and fully restricted/obstructed view cabins, but I can no longer find it, someone on here may be able to locate it?

A fully obstructed cabin normally has a lifeboat outside it, whereas a partially obstructed one may only have a piece of metal viewable.

There does not appear to be any lifeboats near but someone has suggested that there maybe smoke drifting from the area below.

Only you can decide if £400 is worth the move but I would ask myself what else I could spend £400 on?

There was a smoking area outside the Java but I don't remember seeing it in December. Certainly the opposite "wing" by the Glass House is smoke free whereas in 2019 it wasn't.

By the way, are these the only cabins on offer - in the past I've been cheeky and said I'm not sure but if so and so is free how much.  If it was close to sail date I've had a 70% success rate.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 1

Currently on the Britannia for our honeymoon and having an amazing time. We were apprehensive to come due to worrying about isolation but I must say I have barely thought of covid since being on holiday. All rules are being followed, everyone has been wearing their masks around the ship and in the theatre etc. A few days ago they decided to close the gym and close contact massages etc in the spa and they have now changed buffet back to being served by the crew. The only port we needed a lateral flow test was for st Vincent and we decided not to go ashore as we needed a shore excursion and already had a few booked for other ports. We were allowed off in the port area to look in a few souvenir shops and a few cafe/bars.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1