Onboard Riviera Jan. 4

Nymich

1 hour ago, Nymich said:

If everyone wants to trash each other that's fine with me.  I am onboard and willing to help but you don't get both.  I'm not going to be on vacation sorting through opinions and insults.  Your Call. 

Host Jazz any help cleaning out the opinions and insults is appreciated.

Cleaned up.  No GRs given – yet.  Keep it on topic and let these wonderful folks share their current experience.  There is a roll call for Jan. 14 etc. cruises, and other threads where you can endanger your CC status by acting up 😉

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

Test day for Barbados is tomorrow 7 to 11 in Toscana.  This gives those of you on upcoming Riviera Sailings an idea what to expect.......subject to change at any moment of course.

Edited by Nymich

1 hour ago, flaminkokid said:

Are they checking luggage before you enter terminal? If you do test positive is your luggage already being loaded. Mama told me don't sweat the small stuff but I just can't help it. Thanks!

That's a real good question.  I am sure they are because we tipped our porter and our bags went into a cart on the sidewalk.  I saw them there about 25 minutes later as we were leaving the testing tent to go into Terminal J.  So that tells me they are holding them all until they get a negative result and can clear the bags to load on the Ship.

Edited by Nymich

@Pilgrammage 

I saw your lunch desert selections. That sure looks like a scoop of the Humphrey Slocum ice cream. It is WONDERFUL and no matter how many times I said no ice cream for lunch, I could not resist the temptation. 
It sounds like the pre-cruise skeptic is warming up to Oceania and the Finest Cuisine at Sea 👍🤪

Ciao, Mauibabes 

13 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

@Pilgrammage 

I saw your lunch desert selections. That sure looks like a scoop of the Humphrey Slocum ice cream. It is WONDERFUL and no matter how many times I said no ice cream for lunch, I could not resist the temptation. 
It sounds like the pre-cruise skeptic is warming up to Oceania and the Finest Cuisine at Sea 👍🤪

Ciao, Mauibabes 

Yes - I think that was the "Secret Breakfast Coffee" (bourbon ice cream with corn flake cookies) HS selection - I only remember because that was one of the few times I remembered to get a picture of the menu.  The other 2 items were the Yuzu Lime Eclair and the Chocolate Mousse Verrine.  That eclair was fantastic!

I tried several of them and they were all interesting and delicious.  I think my favorite was "Elvis (the fat years)" - that was banana ice cream with bacon peanut brittle.  I heard more than a few people say "there's bacon in the ice cream?" and passed up a really good thing.

image.thumb.png.9b6f20290c82423272c66cced6d3b74d.png

I don't *think* I was ever a skeptic - I must have made some comment at some point that gave that impression.  I was very impressed with almost everything on my cruise.  No complaints about the food, for sure.

Edited by pilgrimage

I'm really enjoying your posts @Nymich.  Very generous of you to take time for chatting with us folks on land dying to be on the sea.  Don't think I've read any mention of Dance parties in the evenings on the ships.  Yet I read 70's one night and 80's the next.  Are those well attended anyone know?  Do you dress for the decade?  or just enjoy the tunes?  And mah jongg play?  I will enjoy all of this.

Deb

We just finished the La Bourgeoise (French family table dinner) in La Reserve. Two tables held six, the third table held 5.  I will try to post menu tomorrow, but it hasn’t  changed since it was created.  Soup, lobster soufflé, fabulous sole with truffle shaving, then beef tenderloin, then Brie cheese course with Boston bib lettuce then a baked Alaska with pears and chocolate incorporated.   We waddled back to our room in a very blissful state.   Tomorrow night is the Odyssey menu and can give an update afterward.  

17 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I would appreciate it if you could get a picture of La Reserve during dinner service (or report - I trust you!).  I haven't cancelled yet, but if all seats are filled I will.

That would be helpful. 
FWIW: The LaReserve calendar looks wide open. 
And then, maybe there’s a Plan B: ToGo menu?

1 minute ago, Nymich said:

Jazz I looked in the window tonight and there were three tables in a line maybe six feet apart.  8 people were sitting at each table 4 on each side and none on the ends.  The people at the tables were sitting about a foot apart.  Total of 24 people.

I was going to take a pic but did not want to do that because I felt that wasn't right.  Hope this helps

That’s the usual arrangement: 8 per each of three tables.

28 minutes ago, nursinadream said:

I'm really enjoying your posts @Nymich.  Very generous of you to take time for chatting with us folks on land dying to be on the sea.  Don't think I've read any mention of Dance parties in the evenings on the ships.  Yet I read 70's one night and 80's the next.  Are those well attended anyone know?  Do you dress for the decade?  or just enjoy the tunes?  And mah jongg play?  I will enjoy all of this.

Deb

Ty for the kind comments I have not attended those parties so I don't know.  Maybe I can try to check it out if I can.  I heard the band Sync the first night and I wasn't impressed but jmo.  As for mah jongg I have no idea but I have been posting the Currents so maybe it will show up.  Sorry I couldn't be more help with these areas.  There are a few more on the Ship I have seen on this thread so maybe they can help.

• Like 1

On this 10 day cruise, there are 6 La Reserve dinners scheduled.  2 of each menu.  As guests need to use up their onboard credits, they may be able to schedule more.  

When we were onboard Marina in November, we scheduled a dinner in Le Privee for a party of 8. Cost was $300 total to rent the room.     The new food options were to chose from either Polo or Toscana menus, or work with theExecutive Chef (ours was Frederic from France, different than the current Frederick from France who is currently onboard Riviera) and we put together a menu that rivaled what is served in La Reserve.   Speak to the Concierege and they helped facilitate the evening.  You can add wines for each coarse, but we had brought our own onboard.    It was a fabulous and very special evening.   

the evenings that LaReserve isn’t fine dining, it is turned into a tapas wine bar (called 12th and Vine by Leslie Jon).   For the price of a glass of wine, you could pick lovely hors d’oeuvres  to snack on.   

Evenings in Horizons after the shows  at 9:30 in Riviera lounge seem to be very sparsely attended, despite the era of the music offered.  

2 hours ago, flaminkokid said:

Are they checking luggage before you enter terminal? If you do test positive is your luggage already being loaded. Mama told me don't sweat the small stuff but I just can't help it. Thanks!

Here is a different perspective. I know many of you pay for the Concierge level or above treatment (as did I on our first trip). 

A lot is made here about when to arrive at the dock so you can get right on board. I get it; I do. But honestly if you arrive a little later than your check-in time, you pretty much waltz right on to the ship, your get access to your room almost immediately and your bags are right behind you. 

That was our experience anyways. We got there about 12:45 (11:30 check-in slot). The movement after 1:30 was incredibly swift, and I’m pretty sure we were able to be in our room almost immediately. Bags followed by 3:15 I think. The process was so, so fast. 

BTW, who cares that they have your bags? I was pleasantly surprised that they were going to help us get home, every step of the way. SMH. I just don’t know what folks expect out of a cruise line.

2 minutes ago, AlexCherie said:

BTW, who cares that they have your bags? I was pleasantly surprised that they were going to help us get home, every step of the way. SMH. I just don’t know what folks expect out of a cruise line.

I think the concern was in the event of a positive test do they hold off on loading your bags.  Maybe I spent too many years in the airline industry but I wondered myself.  We always held "profile" bags off to the side.  In this case everyone is "profile" until cleared with the negative test. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@mauibabes 
On Red Ginger …

Everything there was so ridiculously good, but the finale was having a taste of the cake, and then a sip of the Orchid Vanilla tea. What an orchestra in my mouth. My wife offered me some of her dessert and I didn’t want anything to wash away the taste I had going on.

I’d like to take your rec on Lamb - a favorite dish - but leaving that Sea Bass? Might not happen.

FWIW - attendance by guests confirmed your opinion. Room was easily the most filled of either Polo (2nd night) or Jacques (1st night). I’d say nearly 90% full at 7 PM. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

That would be helpful. 
FWIW: The LaReserve calendar looks wide open. 
And then, maybe there’s a Plan B: ToGo menu?

I would be happy if our Butler served it in our cabin!

2 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I would be happy if our Butler served it in our cabin!

Now you are thinking safe Cruising!  Lolol

Seriously though thinking outside the box like that is a really good thing right now.  

Edited by Nymich

6 minutes ago, Nymich said:

Just now 

16415260193113598057661241435651.jpg

Whenever I see those things on the side of a cruise ship, I remember the old black and white TV series The Silent Service – I'm glad they have the depth charges ready in case of attack by submarine...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Whenever I see those things on the side of a cruise ship, I remember the old black and white TV series The Silent Service – I'm glad they have the depth charges ready in case of attack by submarine...

I am not ashamed to admit I had to look up depth charges.  Ty for teaching me something.

• Like 1

On Oceania, I figured that was some kind of wine cellar 🙂

Or maybe it's a special edition of Jefferson's Ocean Bourbon - https://jeffersonsbourbon.com/jeffersons-ocean/

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nursinadream said:

Deb

On Riviera’s 17 November transatlantic sailing, I wouldn’t say the dance parties in Horizon after the evening show were well attended, but that’s an advantage in these covid days. I thought the band was very good, especially the singer.
Every night 4 or 5 social entertainment staff were on the dance floor all night. Lord, they are all so cute! When I wasn’t dancing, I was enjoying watching them dance! 
Please say hi to assistant social director Christina Hill from Robin! She did such a fabulous job hosting several solo cruiser get togethers and dinners! That cruise was SUCH A BLAST!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2