On Oasis after waiting 90 minutes family misses ship.

Karter

9 minutes ago, Buckeye10640 said:

We would be the 1%.....lol.  Passports not in the safe. Have never even used the safes. 

Can I ask why?  Safes are so simple to use.  We put passports, jewelry, cash and any other paperwork we may have in them.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, tumbley said:

Gaining access to your account is not the main thing I'm referring to - rather, email travels through networks in the clear text/unencrypted - thus my post card analogy.

I don't want to get too technical:

1) yes, nowadays connection between the user and the mail server (be it webmail in the browser, or email app) is usually encrypted

2) email is passed from the origin mail server to the destination through multiple servers on the way, and there is no encryption

3) at the destination, there again is encryption between the server and the user

This (oversimplified) step #2 is the reason that email is unsuitable for anything sensitive.

I believe the safest way with this one is to email your Gmail from your Gmail so it doesn't go to any outside servers. Or do what some high ranking official did with his mistress and just save it as a draft and not actually sending it. 

You could also do a PDF and password protect it which would give you a little bit more security. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BND said:

My DH wears a $30 casio on trips (work ones too so he has an alarm without having to figure out one in a hotel room).  We use the watch to tell time on cruises.  After they repeatedly tell people to stay on ship's time, some continue to use their cell phone.   I know people who have missed shows because they used their cell phone onboard.  And, I realize sometimes they tell you to adjust the time, but we've only really had that happen on Mexican Riviera and maybe once or twice on other cruises.  Watch is easy to change the time on also.

a few years ago I bought a watch at the $10.00 sale on the ship. That is now my cruise watch. I leave my good watch at home.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tumbley said:

Gaining access to your account is not the main thing I'm referring to - rather, email travels through networks in the clear text/unencrypted - thus my post card analogy.

I don't want to get too technical:

1) yes, nowadays connection between the user and the mail server (be it webmail in the browser, or email app) is usually encrypted

2) email is passed from the origin mail server to the destination through multiple servers on the way, and there is no encryption

3) at the destination, there again is encryption between the server and the user

This (oversimplified) step #2 is the reason that email is unsuitable for anything sensitive.

Most mail, including gmail, uses TLS which encrypts the message during transport.  That being said, I still agree that sending personal information via email is a bad idea.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Yeah, have B4B with last leg being eastward TA. Trying decide if should add a Med Cruise on end to give myself time to adjust before Flight home

On the eastward route we just spent time on the ground hitting a couple major cities (about an extra week).   The nice thing is you hit ground running so day one you feel energized.  That makes be more tricky with Covid restrictions.  

• Thanks 1

We had a Captain on the Crown Princess about 10 years ago that was so upset with some people that were late that he came on the PA system and said we have had a debacle and  admonished the tardy ones to no end that had us almost feeling sorry for them. 

13 hours ago, tumbley said:

(I work in IT) due to the way email works, sending sensitive info unencrypted such as photos of identification is similar to the analogy of mailing your ID copy printed on a post-card.

Plus, if you have two factor authentication, you won't be able to access your email from a new device if you don't have your phone.

• Like 3

Shi....happens.  We were cruise with our 3 kids when they were young.  It took us 15 minutes to get to the other side of the Island of St. Thomas to the aquarium and beach in the morning.  We left early at 3pm to go back to the ship for a 4:30pm departure.  We just made it.  The traffic was terrible.  No accident  just lots of traffic.  The driver said it is like that everyday.  We got on the ship at 4:20pm, just in time.  The traffic made a 15 minute trip take an extra hour.  I know St. Thomas and the driver did not take us for a ride.  The road over the mountain was bumper to bumper.

The ship pulled out at 5pm., not 4:30 so I am assuming they were waiting for people.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2022 at 1:20 AM, Travelling2Some said:

(BTW it turned out to be her first migraine.  Migraines are often set off by a change of routine which, of course, travel is.)

Ugh Migraines are the worst.  I get them and would not wish them on my worst enemy.  I started getting mine when I was a teen as well.  I always used to think I had the "24 Hour Flu" and would be in misery in my room all day throwing up with the windows blacked out and a cold facecloth on my head.  I had no idea what they were until about 10 years ago (35ish) when one day I mentioned it to my GP in passing and he knew immediately what it was.  He prescribed me some meds that I take at the 1st sign of a migraine.  They usually konk me out and by the time I wake up in a few hours I am right as rain.

Hopefully your daughter no longer gets them!

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, dasi11 said:

Shi....happens.  We were cruise with our 3 kids when they were young.  It took us 15 minutes to get to the other side of the Island of St. Thomas to the aquarium and beach in the morning.  We left early at 3pm to go back to the ship for a 4:30pm departure.  We just made it.  The traffic was terrible.  No accident  just lots of traffic.  The driver said it is like that everyday.  We got on the ship at 4:20pm, just in time.  The traffic made a 15 minute trip take an extra hour.  I know St. Thomas and the driver did not take us for a ride.  The road over the mountain was bumper to bumper.

The ship pulled out at 5pm., not 4:30 so I am assuming they were waiting for people.

All aboard is 1/2 hour before departure time.  So, it you're all aboard time was 430, then departure time was 5.  But, when they say all aboard, they mean they want everyone aboard.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lfreda said:

Most mail, including gmail, uses TLS which encrypts the message during transport.  That being said, I still agree that sending personal information via email is a bad idea.

This. And mail isn’t really store and forward like in the early days. It’s reasonably safe in transit. It’s probably a bigger issue at rest in a mailbox. 

the biggest issue I see with having it in my gmail account to get around broken/lost phone is 2-factor authentication. I couldn’t get in on a random computer. 

Edited by AustinCruise
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JessyCruises said:

Hopefully your daughter no longer gets them!

We took her to a neurologist as soon as we got home so she was fortunate to be diagnosed right away.  She is in her 30's now and will get a "cluster" of them maybe once a year or so but she takes the meds at the first sign and they have always worked, thank God.

4 hours ago, dasi11 said:

We left early at 3pm to go back to the ship for a 4:30pm departure.  We just made it.  The traffic was terrible.  No accident  just lots of traffic.  The driver said it is like that everyday. 

True, the traffic at that hour in St. Thomas is a well-known thing. If I was running a cruise ship I would take half a minute in the daily announcements to warn passengers.

We were St. Thomas a few years ago enjoying a ship sponsored excursion when a young man asked what time it was and when did the ship leave. We told him the info. When we leaving, the young man got on our bus with a look of terror on his face. What he had done was take a taxi to the beach so he was not in our excursion group. The real bad part as we were with Royal and he was with Carnival. The Carnival ship was scheduled to leave an hour before us. When we got to the dock, he took off like the wind as his ship was still there. I hope he made it.

In Barbados we did turtle/ snorkeling with rum punch,8 adults .12 children 

when we returned to port, Bar was open just outside gate and had a  play area. We ordered drinks bar tender asked us which ship we where on SHE said great you guys have a couple hrs before all aboard I’ll give you heads up, Party started. 1hr 45 later HE ( new bartender) bought us all shots. Not me but someone in our group asked about HER she was off the rest of day. LOL the RACE starts round up kids head to gates, 

the bar tender comes with us and gets luggage guy to load us on carts and drives us to ship. We stepped on ship they pulled ramp. Embarrassing but we where lit so party goes on. That was our 2nd cruise 25 cruises later where always on board an hour in advance. Experience and Age LOL

• Haha 1

On 1/4/2022 at 3:00 PM, davekathy said:

To bad. All aboard means exactly that. 

Not buying that. Thanks for the laugh. 🤣 

Come mon man, the rules weren’t for them! They were primadonnas. Guess they found out they weren’t so special. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

49 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

This is a link to someone that was late to the ship. This might be the one someone mentioned earlier.

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2040307-klfhngrs-story-i-missed-the-boat-in-nassau/

I don't know if this is the story someone mentioned earlier, but that thread is one of my all-time favorite.  😄

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

This is a link to someone that was late to the ship. This might be the one someone mentioned earlier.

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2040307-klfhngrs-story-i-missed-the-boat-in-nassau/

This is the one I was referring to. Thanks. Alfred was very kind to him.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2022 at 6:51 AM, topnole said:

Nope.   The point is you might lose a photo copy or a phone.  That is why you email it to yourself so you can access no mater what is lost or stolen.  

So I take photos of my passport and email them to me. Sounds great.

Now I lose my phone or it's stolen. Now someone has access to my emails and my passport info that I sent to myself. Does not seem very secure or smart to do this.

On 1/5/2022 at 10:41 AM, Maitaivegas said:

Thank you for that. I am a Apple freak and a ex cellphone service tech.

But that you for the reminder to turn the auto change time off. I bought this watch after my third fall this year but I also like having access to the time and my ECG reading.

🥰

That is a very cool feature. They got us with their ads. We paddle board and has the guy stuck in current that can't get back that gets help. then the bicycle one where he falls and is unresponsive and watch calls. thats my biggest fear with my husband as he rides 40 miles in middle of no where. Im going to get that for dad for falls.