Getaway cancelled 1/5 sailing

16 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

We are in Miami and got in early  this morning.  We just got the email and are trying  to decide  what to do.

you could see if you could get a flight to Vegas, that is always a fun time 😄 

maybe further south in Florida?

• Like 1

Just now, aubreyc1988 said:

Ok, you can stay in your house until then. Your choice. Also, it's very easy for you to be flippant about when the pandemic subsides, I am sure you still have your job and are earning money. Some businesses/people cannot afford to wait to work until the pandemic subsides. 

Ok, calm down, let’s all calm down. @aubreyc1988 I don’t think anyone here would be against cruising right now… the problem is all the complications around it… I personally don’t mind taking the risk… problem is, not everyone has that luxury. There are probably lots of staff and services on the ships unavailable because people still get sick from this…enough that you’re still in bed for a couple days even if you’re healthy… I was on the excape a couple years ago and I am pretty sure I had the flu or a bad cold…I partied on anyway…because I was able to swallow loads on pills and feel better…I also didn’t have to worry about flight bans due to illness and being quarantined. That is what is different this time…

once the hysteria over quarantines and mandating people and staff stay in their rooms when sick ends, and flights are open to boarding with no testing and health screening nonsense then I think it will be back to normal. I don’t think it’s the actual COVID that’s hurting things right now, I think it’s all the rules and regulations that come with it 

• Like 8

I dont know what the Miami numbers are like now, but my zip code in NYC (which has a pretty high vax rate compared to the national average) has a 40% positivity rate. Basically almost half of everyone has it. It has to be rampant on the ships, even with the testing and full vaccinations. 

On the bright side, as others have said, positivity rates that high can’t be sustained for long.  It has to burn its way through in the next month or so. 

Edited by psac
  • Like 6

14 minutes ago, aubreyc1988 said:

If not now, when? This has been going on for 2 years. I don't know about anyone else, but I am just t.i.r.e.d of this. I'll follow health and safety protocols, vaccinated, boosted, what have you...but as we all know, life is short, if I keep waiting for things to improve, could miss out on a lot of living life. 

Obviously, I can only answer for me (and know upfront that I love cruising), but I love other types of vacations too. I am absolutely not afraid of catching covid on a cruise ship, but I will likely not cruise until the possibility of being close contact quarantined is eliminated.

It was killing me not to take advantage of all the give-away last minute deals; but instead I decided to head back to Hawaii where I know I won't have to be close contact quarantined. I suspect there are many more like me, which makes me very sad for the industry as a whole. 

• Like 3

Just now, marktwothousand said:

Ok, calm down, let’s all calm down. @aubreyc1988 I don’t think anyone here would be against cruising right now… the problem is all the complications around it… I personally don’t mind taking the risk… problem is, not everyone has that luxury. There are probably lots of staff and services on the ships unavailable because people still get sick from this…enough that you’re still in bed for a couple days even if you’re healthy… I was on the excape a couple years ago and I am pretty sure I had the flu or a bad cold…I partied on anyway…because I was able to swallow loads on pills and feel better…I also didn’t have to worry about flight bans due to illness and being quarantined. That is what is different this time…

once the hysteria over quarantines and mandating people and staff stay in their rooms when sick ends, and flights are open to boarding with no testing and health screening nonsense then I think it will be back to normal. I don’t think it’s the actual COVID that’s hurting things right now, I think it’s all the rules and regulations that come with it 

well, you just said everyone has to wait until worldwide pandemic is over to cruise. No one knows how long that will be, with no testing and what not, but I'm guessing a while. Not only can the cruiselines not afford that, the staff members will all be out jobs and salaries. 

If anyone isn't comfortable cruising, that is fine! Totally understandable, but don't dog on the people who are comfortable with cruising by saying things like "Don't cruise during a pandemic" 

And I am perfectly calm, sorry if I seemed too antagonistic in my writing. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, aubreyc1988 said:

so wonderful! Hopefully I can go on my cruise on 1/22...if not I will rebook, I'm here to support NCL 😄 

We are booked on the Escape on 2/5 and still planning on going.  Fingers crossed for all of us!

• Like 3

Just now, debenson0723 said:

We are booked on the Escape on 2/5 and still planning on going.  Fingers crossed for all of us!

you never know, you might see us on that sailing if our 1/22 gets cancelled! I'll keep trying until it happens haha! 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, aubreyc1988 said:

well, you just said everyone has to wait until worldwide pandemic is over to cruise. No one knows how long that will be, with no testing and what not, but I'm guessing a while. Not only can the cruiselines not afford that, the staff members will all be out jobs and salaries. 

If anyone isn't comfortable cruising, that is fine! Totally understandable, but don't dog on the people who are comfortable with cruising by saying things like "Don't cruise during a pandemic" 

And I am perfectly calm, sorry if I seemed too antagonistic in my writing. 

Great!!! Let’s PARTAAAYYY

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, aubreyc1988 said:

Ok, you can stay in your house until then. Your choice. Also, it's very easy for you to be flippant about when the pandemic subsides, I am sure you still have your job and are earning money. Some businesses/people cannot afford to wait to work until the pandemic subsides. 

Lord🤦🤷‍♂️

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, psac said:

I dont know what the Miami numbers are like now, but my zip code in NYC (which has a pretty high vax rate compared to the national average) has a 40% positivity rate. Basically almost half of everyone has it. It has to be rampant on the ships, even with the testing and full vaccinations. 

On the bright side, as others have said, positivity rates that high can’t be sustained for long.  It has to burn its way through in the next month or so. 

No that's not what positivity means.  40 percent positivity means 40% of the people being tested have Covid.  That's not the same as almost half of everyone.  Sure the number's high but we do not need to exaggerate 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Karaboudjan said:

Getaway and Pearl are the two ships with 'CDC has started an investigation.' on the color grid, so hopefully that means no others are in such a precarious position for now.

Almost all ships have some cases on board with investigations.

NCL, being the smallest of the major cruise companies, does not have the capacity to shift things around as much as RCL and CCL.  Both of those are using out of service ships to quarantine crew (one ship taking crew from multiple owned lines).  I don't think that NCL has that ability and from what has been posted on the other lines streams they seem to be running out of places to quarantine passengers.  

As a result NCL may have become the first to run out of resources to handle crew cases other than canceling some individual cruises.

Edited by nocl
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, psac said:

It's possible you're interpreting the term "positivity rate" incorrectly.  During this pandemic, it's been used to describe the PERCENT of covid TESTS that come back positive...  NOT the percent of the population infected.

• Like 2

I'm on the 1/9 Breakaway sailing out of NOLA. Decided I was not going to cancel because I don't want FCC.  If they sail I will be onboard making the best of it. If they cancel and I'm already down there I will just change my flight home and come back.  The thing is I only booked this cruise after carnival canceled my 12/11 cruise on the Horizon due to engine problems.  Maybe I'm not destined to cruise!

• Like 3

So sorry to all affected by this cancelation!  The Getaway's itinerary sounded EXCELLENT.   I hope you can get a similar cruise in the future, the ABC's are GREAT!   Also, the full refund, plus a 20% discount on a future booking is a good deal.  But such short notice is a disappointment, for sure.  I cruise in 5 days and am worried about the same, as my insurance only applies once I'm on board. 

Getaway is not the only victim...  the Pearl was turned around today (2 days into their 11-day Panama and Central America cruise, supposed to stop at 7 different ports).  Those passengers aren't getting refunds, as they will still have received 4 days onboard for free.  But they are getting FCC for the value of their booking, to be used by 2024.  That cancellation was due to crew infection.  The # of cases wasn't specified.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fredric22 said:

I wonder if this has to do with extremely high case levels on Aruba and Curacao?  But you would think NCL would have came up with an alternative itinerary if this was the case.  

Highly doubt it. Cancelling these two sailings has long reaching ramifications. It's the last thing NCL wanted to do right now for a plethora of rational. 

14 minutes ago, styxfire said:

So sorry to all affected by this cancelation!  The Getaway's itinerary sounded EXCELLENT.   I hope you can get a similar cruise in the future, the ABC's are GREAT!   Also, the full refund, plus a 20% discount on a future booking is a good deal.  But such short notice is a disappointment, for sure.  I cruise in 5 days and am worried about the same, as my insurance only applies once I'm on board. 

Getaway is not the only victim...  the Pearl was turned around today (2 days into their 11-day Panama and Central America cruise, supposed to stop at 7 different ports).  Those passengers aren't getting refunds, as they will still have received 4 days onboard for free.  But they are getting FCC for the value of their booking, to be used by 2024.  That cancellation was due to crew infection.  The # of cases wasn't specified.

They are getting credit/FCC according to the letter they received. Check out the Pearl thread about returning to Miami.

13 minutes ago, styxfire said:

Getaway is not the only victim...  the Pearl was turned around today (2 days into their 11-day Panama and Central America cruise, supposed to stop at 7 different ports).  Those passengers aren't getting refunds, as they will still have received 4 days onboard for free.

Star has stopped on it's way to Argentina "waiting for orders"- and the 1/16 and 1/30 Antarctica cruises are currently "sold out". Not a good sign.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fredric22 said:

I wonder if this has to do with extremely high case levels on Aruba and Curacao?  But you would think NCL would have came up with an alternative itinerary if this was the case.  

Guessing not. I follow Princess also and have not, to date, heard of cancellations for those ports. 

17 minutes ago, styxfire said:

Not true, Pearl passengers are getting FULL refunds automatically.

• Like 4

On the Getaway right now, been in quarantine since Friday night after my wife tested positive. It seems there are quite a few passengers who are positive, and who knows how many crew. I just know that when they came by to check on us earlier the list of names seemed pretty long. And who knows how many people never bothered reporting symptoms and getting a test.

I have to say, it hasn't been a great experience. They wouldn't give us unlimited wifi, so I've been having to conserve minutes. Food has not been great from the start, but it has been declining in quality. Everything we ordered for lunch was about room temperature when we received it after about an hour. Still, happy I'll be getting a partial refund for it. I would have gladly cancelled before leaving if they would have let us 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1