Tips for using "Live Chat" on Princess website

We_like_to_cruise

On 1/5/2022 at 4:01 PM, We_like_to_cruise said:

I have been very successful with contacting Princess via Live Chat - after figuring out how to use it correctly.

Live Chat is available 6am to 9pm PST Monday through Friday and 6am to 6 pm PST Saturday and Sunday. 

Unlike the hours I spent on hold calling directly, the Live Chat feature allowed me to communicate much more quickly (often within a few minutes) with a customer service representative.  (YMMV !)

Here are some things I learned, mostly via trial and error. 

First - how to access the chat feature?

It is located at the very bottom of the Princess.com web page and it looks like this (highlighted):

1385821723_LiveChat_noted2.thumb.png.9c13df69d4ee11d75fc6f4765bd146d5.png

--------

The first few times I attempted to access it, that "Live Chat" button was not visible.  Then, I turned off my AdBlocker for princess.com and it suddenly appeared.  (I use the Firefox browser).  As an experiment, I also tried loading the princess.com site with Microsoft Edge browser and the "Live Chat" button was visible.  So I guess my security settings were somehow blocking it.  The point is, if you do not see "Live Chat" when it should be available during business hours, try another browser or computing device.

Once you click on that "Live Chat" button, you may get the following screen:

1396105489_chatoffline.thumb.jpg.71cf62aaedb1aa3197a37d1cf287c35b.jpg

--------

The most important part of this message is "...our chat agents are currently busy assisting other users".  Just simply keep clicking (refreshing) that "Live Chat" button.  You may see the above message a number of times.

However, finally you will be rewarded with this message:

sccess.thumb.jpg.e9dfbeb2f854ec72263f0619767a99a5.jpg

-------

I found that you should act promptly at this point. 

As directed, type in your name and email address.  However - I would recommend only typing a very short message

under "Your Question".  My first few attempts when I typed out my entire reason for chatting found me back at the

"Live Chat is currently offline" screen when I hit Enter, and presumably, back in the queue.  So, I then simply typed "Please help" or something similar, hit Enter and was pretty quickly connected with a representative.

And, I never felt rushed when I interacted with a representative and all of my issues were resolved and questions were answered.  Although, I am not sure exactly what they can and cannot do. 

Although my sample size is small, the last few times I tried the Chat function, I was pleased with how quickly it worked compared to directly calling Princess.

Good luck !

I have had very good luck recently with Live Chat...unlike several months ago.
My last inquiry was about my Shareholder Benefit that had been submitted several months prior. The agent was able to find my submission and apply it to my October cruise.   Since the agent could actually see my submission, I asked if it was possible to submit for my December cruise and so it was done!  I didn't have to do a thing!  Easy Peasy!

• Like 1

@We_like_to_cruise -- just wanted to say THANKS SO MUCH! for starting this thread. Today I was able to cancel a 14 day cruise and book it as 2-7 day cruises. It saved me over $1000 (due to price drops which have occurred)!  I had tried contacting my PVP earlier today and of course got her 'out of office' message. Then I tried calling and got the 'unusually busy' message. I decided to try Live Chat and the person immediately responded. It took her a while as this was a little more complicated than just a normal refare, but she got it done and kept coming back to tell me she 'was still there'.

It was a great experience and I plan to try using it more often!

🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

@We_like_to_cruise -- just wanted to say THANKS SO MUCH! for starting this thread. Today I was able to cancel a 14 day cruise and book it as 2-7 day cruises. It saved me over $1000 (due to price drops which have occurred)!  I had tried contacting my PVP earlier today and of course got her 'out of office' message. Then I tried calling and got the 'unusually busy' message. I decided to try Live Chat and the person immediately responded. It took her a while as this was a little more complicated than just a normal refare, but she got it done and kept coming back to tell me she 'was still there'.

It was a great experience and I plan to try using it more often!

🙂

Wow, that is fantastic.  Good for you !!!

Glad I was able to help out.

Enjoy your cruises.

😁

One thing I would add here is that if you're sitting there for a while with the chat window up and waiting for the person on the other side to return, keep waggling the chat window. Click in and out of the input box. Scroll if you can. I've had live chat windows on other sites time out on me due to inactivity, and I don't ever want to have that happen again. I frankly don't know what the timeout is on Princess' chat window, and I don't want to find out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

One thing I would add here is that if you're sitting there for a while with the chat window up and waiting for the person on the other side to return, keep waggling the chat window. Click in and out of the input box. Scroll if you can. I've had live chat windows on other sites time out on me due to inactivity, and I don't ever want to have that happen again. I frankly don't know what the timeout is on Princess' chat window, and I don't want to find out.

The times I have used the Princess chat the operator has come back periodically online just to make sure I'm not dropped. I can't say all Princess operators do that and for that reason I believe your safeguard approach is probably a good one.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

If you are dealing an important issue I like to use the copy and paste function to copy the entire conversation into a Word document for saving. Once the connection is dropped all that has been said vanishes into a dark hole of the internet space. At least by saving the conversation into a document you can store it and/or make a hardcopy of it.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bwana Tom said:

If you are dealing an important issue I like to use the copy and paste function to copy the entire conversation into a Word document for saving. 

Keep in mind that before you leave the chat you can click the "hamburger" (3 lines at upper left corner) and you have the opportunity to save the entire chat session without having to select/paste anything.  A bit easier...but both accomplish the same thing.

1 minute ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Keep in mind that before you leave the chat you can click the "hamburger" (3 lines at upper left corner) and you have the opportunity to save the entire chat session without having to select/paste anything.  A bit easier...but both accomplish the same thing.

Very good to know. Thanks Rick & Jeannie.

• 2 weeks later...

I have also found the Chat Agent will always ask for the following info before responding to you, so I have it ready to copy & paste in the chat box as soon as it opens asking for your name and email: 

Booking # [4XXX4X]; Voyage # [x123]; [Ship’s name]; Sailing date [xx/xx/xxxx]; [Your name], [Your DOB: xx/xx/xxxx]; Travel companion: [Cabin companion's name, if any]

I added both the ship's name and voyage # recently, as it appears some Chat agents are now asking for this additional info. It's saved in a Word doc.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, PRNole47 said:

I have also found the Chat Agent will always ask for the following info before responding to you, so I have it ready to copy & paste in the chat box as soon as it opens asking for your name and email: 

Booking # [4XXX4X]; Voyage # [x123]; [Ship’s name]; Sailing date [xx/xx/xxxx]; [Your name], [Your DOB: xx/xx/xxxx]; Travel companion: [Cabin companion's name, if any]

I added both the ship's name and voyage # recently, as it appears some Chat agents are now asking for this additional info. It's saved in a Word doc.

Yep! That's what I do.  And invariably I get an agent who does not look at the initial info posted and asks for everything again!  I tell them to look at the initial post...  So many people do NOT pay attention to details these days.  Especially if you send an email with 2 or more questions...and get a response answering ONLY the first one. 😠

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This might have been said already. Use something other than Firefox. I use Firefox for EVERYTHING right now except if I want to use Princess' chat function. Right now I use Chrome if I want to use chat.

Good luck. Chat, when it works, and you connect with a decent agent, is so much better than trying to communicate with their agents using the phone.

Doug

1 hour ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Good luck. Chat, when it works, and you connect with a decent agent, is so much better than trying to communicate with their agents using the phone.

Doug

They have seemingly outsourced their live phone agents. 
Today I spoke with two agents regarding a drop in price of my booking and an increase in OBC. 
The first one told me I had a good price and what was my problem? Then the line disconnected. 
The second one went to speak to a Supervisor and never came back. 
I will try the live chat next. 
Thanks 

On 12/31/2022 at 2:10 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

To be safe, do both - paste into Word or another word processor and request the chat session be saved.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2023 at 2:18 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

Yep! That's what I do.  And invariably I get an agent who does not look at the initial info posted and asks for everything again!  I tell them to look at the initial post...  So many people do NOT pay attention to details these days.  Especially if you send an email with 2 or more questions...and get a response answering ONLY the first one. 😠

Yep! And I have that "See above" just below the above info, just itching to copy & paste for them.

I attempted the chat at the end of last week.  Total waste of time. Trying to add a cruise to Hubs status as they were missing one of this cruises (we always travel together).  Princess had me at Platinum and him as Ruby.  Typing back and forth for minutes to 1 hour only to be dropped. Call the Circle number I was given and it was taken care of quickly by Princess. Just waiting for a new invoice from Princess to TA for updated status. Just wanted to let others  know my experience.

34 minutes ago, cruisegal40 said:

I attempted the chat at the end of last week.  Total waste of time. Trying to add a cruise to Hubs status as they were missing one of this cruises (we always travel together).  Princess had me at Platinum and him as Ruby.  Typing back and forth for minutes to 1 hour only to be dropped. Call the Circle number I was given and it was taken care of quickly by Princess. Just waiting for a new invoice from Princess to TA for updated status. Just wanted to let others  know my experience.

Sorry you had issues...I can't imagine why it was such a problem but then I "wasn't there".  How much luck you have with a chat session is totally dependent on what you're trying to do.  The chat reps are not empowered to do *everything*...and it sounds like maybe this is one of those things that they can't.  None of us can really comment on the "conversation" because were not privy to it...but look at it this way: *Maybe* this rep was trying to go above and beyond and take care of something that they were not trained for.  

I know that *I* would not want their job...literally sitting at a keyboard/screen and typing all day long! 😟

22 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Sorry you had issues...I can't imagine why it was such a problem but then I "wasn't there".  How much luck you have with a chat session is totally dependent on what you're trying to do.  The chat reps are not empowered to do *everything*...and it sounds like maybe this is one of those things that they can't.  None of us can really comment on the "conversation" because were not privy to it...but look at it this way: *Maybe* this rep was trying to go above and beyond and take care of something that they were not trained for.  

I know that *I* would not want their job...literally sitting at a keyboard/screen and typing all day long! 😟

I do have to say the Princess line was promptly answered and the rep was able to help me with my issue.  Mind you, this was the "circle caption" number. Not their general one. 

• 1 year later...

I have been totally unsuccessful with the online chat.  First it puts me in a queue and tells me how many people are ahead of me.  It seems like I reach the end of the queue and then a message pops up asking me if I am still there.  I say yes, and it says "Thanks for waiting!"  Then...nothing.  It keeps on periodically asking me if I am still there and after I say yes, it just repeats "Thanks for waiting!" It doesn't tell me that there are people ahead of me in the queue either.  It just says, "One of our agents will chat with you as soon as possible."  But then no one ever does.  This has been going on for 25 minutes.  If I am actually still in the queue, why doesn't it just say so?  Why is there no estimated wait time shown?  If I had known I would be dealing with this for over an hour, I probably would have given up sooner and tried some other time.