Princess Covid PCR tests for Canadian citizens post cruise

seachelt

To return to Canada after our cruise we will require a negative PCR test. Is Princess providing those free, or for a fee?

We cruised on Oceania in October/November and they were providing PCR tests free for Canadians before disembarkation.

Cannot find such information on Princess website. Thanks!

seachelt

53 minutes ago, seachelt said:

To return to Canada after our cruise we will require a negative PCR test. Is Princess providing those free, or for a fee?

We cruised on Oceania in October/November and they were providing PCR tests free for Canadians before disembarkation.

Cannot find such information on Princess website. Thanks!

seachelt

Information can be found under the post cruise section of the Cruise Health protocols FAQs.

At this time Princess states they will provide them, but be advised that other cruise lines have eliminated this benefit, and Princess may as well.

Screenshot_20220105-200142_Chrome.jpg

We just got tested after our cruise that ended yesterday in the terminal in San Pedro and saw people flying back to Canada getting their PCR tests and they were complimentary.  They also allowed us to get the rapid antigen test as we are sailing on Princess tomorrow … kind of a modified B2B.  
The process was very smooth and results were available within about 30 - 45 minutes for both the tests.  I only know that because there were others in the waiting area after their results.  Before leaving the waiting area, you have to show the attendant your negative results before you can make it out into the terminal.  

• Like 1

Note that while the test is still free at this point in time, it occurs only after you leave the ship, so if you test positive you will be required to cover any costs for quarantine yourself if you cannot fly back to Canada. This is what led me to cancel my January 9 cruise. The cost of a possible quarantine would have exceeded the cost of the cruise itself in my case!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, waiting2retire said:

Note that while the test is still free at this point in time, it occurs only after you leave the ship, so if you test positive you will be required to cover any costs for quarantine yourself if you cannot fly back to Canada. This is what led me to cancel my January 9 cruise. The cost of a possible quarantine would have exceeded the cost of the cruise itself in my case!

I have read other members posts on this site with their experience, May they will chime in 

good idea to purchase Travel Protection. 

7 hours ago, waiting2retire said:

As at today, Princess's web site still states they do cover the cost of hotel and meals while you quarantine. Apparently, the customer chooses their desired quarantine hotel, then Princess re-imburses the cost up to a certain level, so there is an out of pocket expense until Princess pays out. IDK what Princess pays, but word has it that Celebrity pays up to $US300 per night for the hotel and $US100PP/day for food.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

As at today, Princess's web site still states they do cover the cost of hotel and meals while you quarantine. Apparently, the customer chooses their desired quarantine hotel, then Princess re-imburses the cost up to a certain level, so there is an out of pocket expense until Princess pays out. IDK what Princess pays, but word has it that Celebrity pays up to $US300 per night for the hotel and $US100PP/day for food.

Can you post a link to this?  I remember reading it but can’t find it again 

As far as Fort Lauderdale sailings go, I can say that as of December 19, qualifying passengers were being tested when we disembarked the Emerald Princess.  Once you had collected your luggage (if not walk-off) and cleared CBP, there was a testing site just outside Terminal 26 in this case.  On December 30, qualifying passengers were also being tested as we disembarked Enchanted Princess, Terminal 2.

Qualifying passengers seemed to be limited to only those who could provide flight schedules tests were required for.  Even though we needed the test to board the Enchanted Princess the following day, we were turned away from the testing site on the 19th (and did not require a test on the 30th). 

This could all change with little to no notice, but that was my most recent experience.  Hope this helps!

• Like 1

The link is here, https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/covid-19-protection-program/

First point under shoreside states:
"If you test positive for COVID-19 during your cruise, you will be reimbursed for expenses for COVID-related medical care, including those incurred during any medically required post-disembarkation quarantine period. This includes air change fees if onward travel plans need to change."

Third Point:

"Any shoreside meals will be covered by a daily meal allowance, which you’ll learn about from the family assistance coordinator when you disembark. (No receipts required.)"

And Point 6 under the FAQ on that page:

"Can I book my own hotel if I am required to quarantine post-disembarkation before returning home?

Hotel accommodations will be arranged by Princess with one of our contracted hotel partners. Should you select a different hotel, you will be reimbursed only for the amount of the contracted hotel rate. Any incidental charges, costs related to room upgrades and additional room nights in excess of what is provided by Princess, requested or arranged by you, is your responsibility. Princess will provide hotel accommodations until a medical professional clears you to travel home."

I also double checked this and have a chat transcript with Princess confirming that Princess will reimburse for a set amount per day for hotel, and meals if you test positive upon disembarkation and have to quarantine.

------------

Lorraine R 
As verified, Princess will cover only a specific amount  for hotel accomodations for post cruise incidents.

Lorraine R 
This will be discussed at the port for the details.

Me 
Other points on that page indicate that Princess will work with one of their hotels (or reimburse to a certain amount) and will give a daily allowance for food.  I just wanted to make sure that I was not mis-understanding something and that Princess will cover quarantine costs if testing positive upon disembarkation (within the limits specified on that page).

Lorraine R 
Yes, that is correct. As mentioned, this will be discussed further at the port if  proven that you have contracted Covid upon disembarkation.

------------

Edited by jpom18
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1