Quarantined on the Millennium. A different experience. Ask any questions

gafnewyork

I just completed a quarantine on the Millennium holiday cruise that ended today, January 6th. 

I’ve read recent posts regarding quarantine protocol on various Celebrity ships. The Millennium experience was different given what I went through  and what was told to me by the staff. 

What started off as a 10 night anniversary Caribbean holiday cruise for me and my husband in an Aqua Class / veranda stateroom ended in quarantine in a vastly different environment after an almost 9 hour medical experience.  

This last chapter of our cruise started when I was having some very mild symptoms.  I self tested with the Covid kits we brought and tested negative.  Regardless, I called the medic department and informed them of my symptoms.  

As you have now read on other threads, two nurses in quasi hazmat suites came to our door, 45 minutes after I placed the initial call, to nose swab us.  

Two hours later we get a call from head of security for contact tracing protocols. He very casually informs me that I tested positive.  But that my husband was negative.  

About 30 minutes later I received another call from the care team informing me that I would be isolated in an inside stateroom on Deck 2.  I let both he and the head of security know that I’m extremely claustrophobic and that wasn’t a feasible option for me.  Especially since I’d be quarantining alone as I didn’t want to keep exposing my partner. 

They both reinforced that I’d have to let the doctor know of my medical condition to see if there were other options.  

Mind you, the cruise had a total of 900 passengers onboard, out of 2100 capacity.  So the ship had roughly 60% of the cabins unoccupied, minus the ones they used for quarantined guests.   

So, we were brought down to the medics  area, accompanied by 4 or 5 people, again in quasi hazmat suites.  This time a few were blowing mist out of a large aerosols device as we were walking behind them.

After four plus hours in the medical center, going through various tests and waiting for results, the doctor informs us that Millennium only outfitted Deck 2 staterooms with necessary filtration systems required by the CDC for Covid positive guests.  

Thankfully, and after a few hours of negotiations, they were at least able to find a cabin with a porthole window.  I certainly had moments of panic, but I got through it.  It was also helpful when the next day they did in fact find a veranda stateroom where I spent my last night.  

The doctor, and her nurse were amazing.  Kind and compassionate and very thorough. Provided NyQuil, Tylenol and throat lozenges.  Plus a follow up call by the doctor.  And the nurse personally stopped by my stateroom this morning to give me a copy of all the medical records of the tests they took. 

The doctor even played mediator between us and the Captain, who has the final authority on cabin selection, to find a better solution to address my medical needs.  For that we are thankful.  Can’t say the same about the Captain.  I asked to speak to him, which never happened.  

In the end, many of the staff we dealt with were doing their best. Room service was great.  Though sometimes the phone would ring up to 8-10 minutes before being picked up.  Delivery was usually under an hour.  And very generous, particularly with the wine. 

Guest relations was also incredibly helpful throughout the situation.  Arranged disembarkation timeframe and private car transport! We were one of the first to leave the ship this morning.  

Overall a very mixed experience.  I was fully aware that quarantining would be a possibility during this trip.  And, what started out as a nightmare scenario unfolding ended with a more nuanced understanding of the protocols as well as an appreciation for all the staff that did help us.  

My final observation is that cruise lines need to figure out a more equitable experience for those that, through no fault of their own, become infected onboard. I don’t believe medical experts are confident this pandemic will go away anytime soon. There needs to be a more thoughtful and equitable approach if we are ever to cruise again.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 14

I am sorry to read that you were quarantined and thanks for documenting your experience in detail. 

I presume your plans to get home are affected as well?

How many days in quarantine?  While there, how often were you contacted to check on your medical status?  How clear were your disembarkation procedures, and when were they explained to you?  Were you planning to fly or drive home from the port? 

8 minutes ago, gafnewyork said:

The Millennium experience was different given what I went through  and what was told to me by the staff. 

Thanks for sharing your story and I hope you're recovering. I'm curious, what is it about your experience that you perceive as being different on Millennium vs other Celebrity ships? 

6 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

I am sorry to read that you were quarantined and thanks for documenting your experience in detail. 

I presume your plans to get home are affected as well?

Thank you. And yes. Fortunately we are able to drive home.  

16 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Thanks for sharing your story and I hope you're recovering. I'm curious, what is it about your experience that you perceive as being different on Millennium vs other Celebrity ships? 

I’ve read that other ships have allocated veranda rooms for those that need to be quarantined.  I’ve also read some frustrations about support, whereas my experience with many of the crew I interact with at each point of the quarantine experience to be positive.  

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, canderson said:

How many days in quarantine?  While there, how often were you contacted to check on your medical status?  How clear were your disembarkation procedures, and when were they explained to you?  Were you planning to fly or drive home from the port? 

2 nights.  I spoke to either the doctor or nurse each of the two days.  Instructions were provided verbally, clear and followed through.  

Thanks for sharing your experience here.  Glad you are OK.  Your story is important information.  Everybody cruising or about to cruise needs to factor in that there is a very real chance that this could happen to them over the next period of time until Omicron subsides.  

• Like 3

Please I’m not being nosy about your results, but did they test you for any other specific respiratory pathogens - flu, RSV, strep? Did they repeat the Covid test?

thank you for sharing your experience. It’s becoming obvious that some of the protocols are based on the layout of the ship!

Edited by cangelmd

1 hour ago, gafnewyork said:

I’ve read that other ships have allocated veranda rooms for those that need to be quarantined.  I’ve also read some frustrations about support, whereas my experience with many of the crew I interact with at each point of the quarantine experience to be positive.  

The difference in cabin allocation was most likely simply because on "S" class ships 85% of the cabins have balconies.

55 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Thanks for sharing your experience here.  Glad you are OK.  Your story is important information.  Everybody cruising or about to cruise needs to factor in that there is a very real chance that this could happen to them over the next period of time until Omicron subsides.  

Ditto to everything said above.  But let me put it explicitly - THANK YOU @gafnewyork for taking the time to share your experience and answering questions about it.  I don't have any questions at this time, but I'll monitor this thread and try to remember it when my number comes up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gafnewyork said:

About 30 minutes later I received another call from the care team informing me that I would be isolated in an inside stateroom on Deck 2.  I let both he and the head of security know that I’m extremely claustrophobic and that wasn’t a feasible option for me.  Especially since I’d be quarantining alone as I didn’t want to keep exposing my partner. 

The inside stateroom is the big fear for me. I don't think I could handle it, unless the medical center was willing to prescribe a small dose of anxiety medicine. I bring some onboard but my Xanax is expired so I don't bring that anymore; I think I'd need it for a quarantine in an inside stateroom, though. Maybe I should consider getting a refill before my next sailing.

Anyway, that fear of quarantine contributed to our cancellation of our upcoming cruise. 

Hope you got home safely and recover quickly. Thank you for sharing; your experience is valuable for people deciding whether or not to cruise. 

• Like 1

Thank you for relating your experience!

I also would go absolutely bonkers if I had to stay in an inside room for days.  There's a big reason we've never stayed in an interior room over the nearly 27 years we've been cruising.

• Like 3

As I just wrote regarding a similar experience of someone on EDGE that I think that to me Celebrity should have a concept of quarantine/ isolation protocols that was equal on each class of ships involved and that this should be shared among the passengers BEFORE a cruise so that everybody can decide whether to accept ( cruise regardless of the danger of being quarantined in an inside or porthole room) or to cancel.

I could accept being "downgraded" from a suite or Aquaclass room to an isolated lower deck with a nice view of the orange tops of the lifeboats but an ability to breathe some fresh air. But if not sick as the proverbial dog I can't imagine wandering through my "inside prison" through days on end.

This is the reason why I will very carefully choose the ships I'll cruise on in 2022/23 and I'm glad to read descriptions of all those who have shared their experience.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cangelmd said:

Please I’m not being nosy about your results, but did they test you for any other specific respiratory pathogens - flu, RSV, strep? Did they repeat the Covid test?

thank you for sharing your experience. It’s becoming obvious that some of the protocols are based on the layout of the ship!

I asked for strep and they accommodated.  Plus did a chest X-ray, ekg and basic blood panel. Covid test not repeated once I tested positive.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, canderson said:

So you spoke only once each day to medical?

Were you aware of any others that had been quarantined, or were you perhaps the only one?

Correct.  

They announced via the PA approx 12 Covid cases in total over the first 5-6 days.  Then we didn’t hear any other announcements, but doesn’t mean other announcements didn’t happen.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCPIV said:

Thank you for relating your experience!

I also would go absolutely bonkers if I had to stay in an inside room for days.  There's a big reason we've never stayed in an interior room over the nearly 27 years we've been cruising.

Interesting that even prisoners are let out in the yard to get air once a day.  Unless they are in solitary confinement.  Maybe I'm watching too many movies.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, CruiseCrew123 said:

Is the whole of deck 2 being used for quarantine or are regular cruisers also still using the rooms 

It seemed just a portion was being used for quarantine.  

You could tell which rooms were designated by the side tables they take from the stateroom and place outside the door as the means for contactless delivery and pick up.  

4 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Interesting that even prisoners are let out in the yard to get air once a day.  Unless they are in solitary confinement.  Maybe I'm watching too many movies.

Good point LOL.  I think it's shameful in the extreme that they would even consider stuffing people in inside cabins for days on end, in this condition and unable to go outside their cabin.  They would literally need to sedate me to make that happen.  

• Like 6

Thank you for sharing your experience.  This was an eye opener for me.  My husband and I have said we would only book verandah rooms in case of quarantine.  Your experience shoots that down!  I am very claustrophobic and would have major issues in an inside cabin.  Next cruise December of this year.  Hope things better by then!

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, italgal24 said:

Thank you for sharing your experience.  This was an eye opener for me.  My husband and I have said we would only book verandah rooms in case of quarantine.  Your experience shoots that down!  I am very claustrophobic and would have major issues in an inside cabin.  Next cruise December of this year.  Hope things better by then!

27 minutes ago, italgal24 said:

Couldn’t agree more! 

I can’t imagine being stuck in an inside cabin for days on end especially if separated from my husband and possibly feeling unwell. I really think they should keep veranda staterooms for people in quarantine. If they can’t come out of their room especially if for days on end it would be so much more bearable to be able to get some fresh air and see the ocean and even see what is going on at a distance. Worried . Going on Equinox in February and thinking about this makes me want to cancel. I think guests should be made very aware of what will happen and where they will be quarantined before boarding the ship.

• Like 7