tipping porters, tour bus drivers and guides, etc. (Royal)

57 minutes ago, little britain said:

What part of he cannot get the items onboard the ship, and they are not allowed off the ship do you not understand?

The crew members are unable to get specific items. Dishing out cash like Daddy Warbucks would not be appreciated as much as someone going to the effort to find these specific brands for them.  It is the thought that counts.

What part of amazon are you not familiar with?  These aren't illiterate children.

What part of supplying someone with cold medicine so they can knock themselves out at night sounds like a good "thought that counts"?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, PTAngel said:

To me tipping the porters makes sense.  My husband used a mobility scooter & I usually push his rollator on board.  It makes it impossible to handle luggage.  When we disembark, I usually get a porter & he puts all our checked luggage, carry-ons, backpacks & CPAPS in a cart & pushes it to the car & unloads into the car.  Is it worth $20.00?  You bet!!  I sometimes feel like it is not enough if he puts the scooter & rollator in the car too.  I have them very accommodating.  

Different porters.

I am talking about the ones that when you arrive for a cruise, put your bags in the cart, and that is all.

Porters at the end, AFAIK, are not longshoremen.  And I would tip them, like I tip a bellman who comes to my room and takes my luggage down, watches over it, and loads it in vehicle.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, little britain said:

What part of he cannot get the items onboard the ship, and they are not allowed off the ship do you not understand?

The crew members are unable to get specific items. Dishing out cash like Daddy Warbucks would not be appreciated as much as someone going to the effort to find these specific brands for them.  It is the thought that counts.

WRONG!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ThirstyCruiser said:

Indeed.

Its why they hired people to do nothing but. And pay them extremely well to do so.

No argument over tipping or pay.  Just commenting on how much of a mess there would be without them.

For some like me, bad back and knees the 5-10 bucks saves me from a day or two with the TENS. unit or heating pad. LOL

Going back to when you dumped your bags at the TENT, before the garage and new terminal, I can remember cars locked in by double parkers dragging their bags to the curb, others trying to get into a slot or out of one where there was a porter and empty trolley. Now we pull up, pop the trunk and give a tip. So much of a mess that on occasion we would have to drive all the way around the warehouses and get back in the line.

On our return we get a porter as soon as we get into the luggage area. Porter gets our 2 big checked bags and two carry ons with liquor and other purchases on his or her cart. My wife goes with the porter to the car and I go and pay at the kiosk. In the car headed home in 5 minutes.

On 1/10/2022 at 1:36 PM, SRF said:

Not only that, in most ports, the cruise ship work is overtime for them.  Plus the crazy tips being handed them.

Figure a small ship, 3000 passengers.  That is likely even with 1 bag per person, tipping $5 per bag, that is $15,000 in tips.  For a few hours work.  That they are being paid to do.

Very good point.

4 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

Excellent article, thanks for posting this!  I could not agree more and not just for cruise ship crew, for land based service workers as well.  Funny in the article they said if you can, "tip early and tip often", I've always done that on my vacations/cruises, been accused here on CC of bribing, yea whatever, move along.  I am not sorry that I am not sorry, but wherever in the world you are from, tipping on a cruise ship IS customary.  Just do it!!!

Lots of passengers don't rely on porters.

Just get dropped off at the terminal and handle your own.

Go right to the parking garage and handle your bags from there. 

I for one, along with my back, prefer to handle my luggage as little as possible while on vacation.

Happy cruising to all.🙂

• Like 1