New email regarding Splash Academy on Breakaway 1/23 from NOLA

GoldenGirl327

Good morning everyone!

We are set to go on the Breakaway out of NOLA on 1/23. My husband just got an email from NCL that only The Entourage will be open for kids 13-17. Splash Academy will be closed. NCL will be offering family events in its place that have to be attended with a parent. 

We are traveling with our 17 year old so this doesn't affect us, but I know as a parent who's used the Splash Academy and whose kids have loved it, this can be a bummer...

Just passing the info along.

Happy sailing!

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing Norwegian Cruise Line. We're glad to have you sailing aboard Norwegian Cruise Line and can't wait to help you make new and exciting memories on your amazing vacation.

Sailing from the US, and per the CDC Guidelines, Entourage Teen Program will be open for teens ages 13-17. Once onboard, you can refer to the Entourage Daily Program for activity times and locations.

Due to the ongoing COVID-19 Pandemic and CDC Guidelines, Splash Academy will not be offering drop-off services during your sailing for children ages 5-12 years old.

However, we will be providing tailored activities for youth and families on board. We are offering a range of daily activities from relaxing movie nights and game shows to our fun Feel Free Play sessions. Feel Free Play is not a drop off service and parents must attend the session with their children. Times and locations will be noted in the Freestyle Daily.

Check out the Freestyle Daily for the complete schedule, times and locations. In addition, be sure to download the NCL mobile app, so you can keep up to date with everything happening on board right at your fingertips!

To ensure your health & safety, and with an abundance of care, all activities will follow the social distancing, sanitizing and mask protocols that are in place on board. All guests must adhere to the direction of the crew while participating in the activities.

We hope you have an incredible vacation, and we look forward to seeing you around the ship.

Best Regards,
Norwegian Cruise Line

I got the same email this morning and am not happy as we have the grand daughter (9) travelling with us, she enjoys splash academy and we were told just before final payment that it would be open. We travel on Jan. 16th out of NOLA on the Breakaway. 

I totally understand this is a major bummer to many. 

On the other hand this is the only possible way to go considering omicron. Vaccinated or not omicron spreads (almost) like the plague and it would be crazy to have Splash Academy open and arrange a situation where kids from very many different families play and spend time in close contact with each other for hours and then go back to their families. That would be one serious super spreader location for covid on the ship. 

So I personally cannot see Splash Academy opening up in the forseeable future. Forseeable being in minimum next 6 months or so. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

Vax are already given to over 5 year olds world wide so definitely under 18 year olds can travel. 

It's a fairly recent change in US policy to vax young children.  NCL may be a little slow to catch up to the new norm.  The point the OP made was that NCL's kid's activities for those 12 and under had been curtailed.  The program for 13 - 17 year olds is still open.

• 2 weeks later...

ooh, I really hope they open at least Dolphins for spring break.

My 10 year old was really looking forward to meeting friends and having some freedom.

I really dont see how large group events with parents attending also will change the potential for omicron spread (except for increasing it, since even MORE people will be there)