Does NCL accept letter from Dr. regarding Covid Recovery?

Ships and Dip

If you had Covid and recovered just shortly before embarkation day and then you test positive on the antigen test that NCL administers on boarding day, would NCL accept the previous PCR positive test results plus letter from doctor stating you are fully recovered from Covid?

Or would it be game over, denied boarding, no exceptions?

29 minutes ago, Ships and Dip said:

If you had Covid and recovered just shortly before embarkation day and then you test positive on the antigen test that NCL administers on boarding day, would NCL accept the previous PCR positive test results plus letter from doctor stating you are fully recovered from Covid?

The only thing that matters is your test at embarkation.  If you test positive with the antigen test they will do a PCR to confirm.  If the PCR is also positive you will not board.  This is from the Sail Safe page.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Ships and Dip said:

First Welcome to Cruise Critic, I am in that position right now, tested positive before the 1/2/22 cruise, right now I'm back to work. Buried in the Sail Safe page, NCL only accepts results at the pier. I'm planning on taking a pre PCR test within the 96 hrs window prior to my 1/19/22 cruise, fingers crossed again. That letter may get you on a plane but not on an NCL ship. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JIMESOPUS said:

First Welcome to Cruise Critic, I am in that position right now, tested positive before the 1/2/22 cruise, right now I'm back to work. Buried in the Sail Safe page, NCL only accepts results at the pier. I'm planning on taking a pre PCR test within the 96 hrs window prior to my 1/19/22 cruise, fingers crossed again. That letter may get you on a plane but not on an NCL ship. 

So if your PCR is still showing up as positive are you still planning on going to the cruise and doing the pre-cruise antigen test and hoping for a negative result?

2 minutes ago, Ships and Dip said:

So if your PCR is still showing up as positive are you still planning on going to the cruise and doing the pre-cruise antigen test and hoping for a negative result?

No, If the PCR is positive I'll call my TA to cancel, no sense in wasting my time and money going to the pier. But if I'm negative and the test at the pier is positive then NCL will reimburse me for some of cost of travel and help getting me home, again that's buried in the Sail Safe page.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JIMESOPUS said:

No, If the PCR is positive I'll call my TA to cancel, no sense in wasting my time and money going to the pier. But if I'm negative and the test at the pier is positive then NCL will reimburse me for some of cost of travel and help getting me home, again that's buried in the Sail Safe page.  

Yeah I guess I’m more in the camp of avoiding a FCC by any means possible, so I’ll gamble on going to the ship and hoping for a negative result so I can board, but then if I end up testing positive, I will be allowed a refund to my credit card, and not be locked into a FCC. 

I just wish the FCCs weren’t so restrictive and could be used for sailings beyond the end of 2022. 

13 minutes ago, Ships and Dip said:

Yeah I guess I’m more in the camp of avoiding a FCC by any means possible, so I’ll gamble on going to the ship and hoping for a negative result so I can board, but then if I end up testing positive, I will be allowed a refund to my credit card, and not be locked into a FCC. 

I just wish the FCCs weren’t so restrictive and could be used for sailings beyond the end of 2022. 

We have four more cruises book for 2022, the FCC will be applied to one those cruises

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So annoying.  Tested positive Feb 3rd and supposed to sail March 13. NEW CDC guidance says I shouldn’t have to test, but NCL has not changed that policy yet. So I run the risk of not sailing.  It all comes down to the test on March 11. 

FYI - CDC says…If you tested positive for COVID-19 infection no less than 10 days and no more than 90 days before the date of embarkation and recovered (regardless of your vaccination status), you do NOT need to get tested before or after cruise travel unless you have symptoms. People can continue to test positive for up to 90 days after diagnosis and not be infectious to others.

• Travel with a copy of your positive test result and a letter from your healthcare or a public health official that states you have been cleared for travel. The positive test result and letter together are referred to as “documentation of recovery.” If you are asked by officials in a foreign country, you may be required to show this documentation.

56 minutes ago, jenneloveslife said:

So annoying.  Tested positive Feb 3rd and supposed to sail March 13. NEW CDC guidance says I shouldn’t have to test, but NCL has not changed that policy yet. So I run the risk of not sailing.  It all comes down to the test on March 11. 

FYI - CDC says…If you tested positive for COVID-19 infection no less than 10 days and no more than 90 days before the date of embarkation and recovered (regardless of your vaccination status), you do NOT need to get tested before or after cruise travel unless you have symptoms. People can continue to test positive for up to 90 days after diagnosis and not be infectious to others.

• Travel with a copy of your positive test result and a letter from your healthcare or a public health official that states you have been cleared for travel. The positive test result and letter together are referred to as “documentation of recovery.” If you are asked by officials in a foreign country, you may be required to show this documentation.

Have to have a negative test 2 days before sailing...no exceptions.

Negative test-Sail and have fun.🙂

Positive test-No sail.  Have fun at home.☹

1 hour ago, jenneloveslife said:

Your fellow cruisers appreciate if you do not join the cruise if you test positive. Retest today and see your status. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jenneloveslife said:

Tested positive Feb. 5....recommended not to retest x 180 days but needed to be negative to board Monday Feb. 28..gave it a whirl at the clinic today and it was negative...now fingers crossed rapid is still negative Monday...

Rapid antigen test is a much more reliable indicator of contagiousness than PCR.  PCR can be + for months, because it amplifies fragmented DNA just fine.  Antigen tests measure active virus.

and the 90 day rule really shouldn’t apply anymore.  It is not a reliable result since Omicron (and stealth omicron) showed up.