It is now official - the port of TRIESTE is the NEW "Venice port" for NCL

TrumpyNor

@TrumpyNorAn advice to you. When buying rail tickets go to Italiarail website and book and buy tickets. Do not buy the cheapest tickets. Buy the ones that you are able to change!

We have done trains in Italy twice - on 2 separate vacations. The first time we booked first class "flexible" outward (Milano to Venice) but the "fixed" return. As it turned out we were able to change the first leg to an earlier train when our flight arrived very early into Milan and it didn't take us long to get to the train station. The return, however, was another story, we got kicked off ship earlier than we thought and got to Maestre too early. Tried to change to earlier train but no avail, so we ended up spending the next hour and half in cafe drinking lovely espressos, eating delicious pastries and people-watched.

The next time we went to Italy we also flew into Milan ... and this time I bought "flexible" first class train tickets again - worth paying little extra. They came into handy as for some reason all the trains were running late on that day between Milano and Florence ... I was able to monitor the train schedule and able to change our tickets to an "earlier" train that was about to arrive into Milano for Florence. If we had stayed on schedule our original train would be over an hour and half late. Then, while in Florence (for a few days) we decided to take a fast way to Civitavecchia which meant taking the non-stop Florence to Rome and then another non-stop Rome to Civita, and was able to change online to that from the slow train from Florence to Civita with one train change along the way.

Loved the First class.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First off, to reply to the Italianrail question, I booked a train ride between Naples and Cinque Terre 5 years ago as part of a non-cruise trip, we booked premium for the first leg (to Rome) and then 2nd class for the rest (I believe that was the only options) The premium did not allow changes and the 2nd class allowed one change/upgrade. Since we were not at the mercy of other transport it wasn't an issue. Looking at the website now it only lists through May, but the only options I saw was 2nd class non-refundable, $32 US for 2 people from Venezia Mestre  to Trieste Centrale (just under 2 hours) and $35 for San Lucia if you are spending time in Venice (2 hr 5 min, if you take a direct train).

That said, I am really ticked off that this is how things went down with Venice. Sure, this had been a long time coming, but between the city, port and the cruise lines, we are really getting the shaft. I booked my trip for this fall back when my 2020 trip got cancelled (took advantage of there "keep us from bankruptcy" discount so I can't complain about that). At the time here had been rumblings about shutting down Venice, but that had been going on for years. But here's the rub, when you make a change like this, you are SUPPOSED to do it over time, locking in vested bookings and only impacting new bookings. A typical treatment of 18 months is to be expected. I guess the pandemic changed all that, (and the fact that the cruise lines, like us, were not taking Venice seriously). So, instead of honoring bookings now they are changing them without notice. I'm not sure what contract the cruise lines had with the ports or ports with the city, but considering force majeure does not apply, either the cruise lines or port did not have contracts to cover these future bookings or someone broke contract. I would hope lawsuits are involved (although that doesn't impact us).

Now what pisses me off the most is I've not been to Venice, although I have very low expectations of it, I'd still like to cross it off my list. I have my cruise booked between two other trips, since flying to Europe is a pain I try and stretch it out both before and after the cruise. Now, all those plans involving Venice are shot, I may have to rebook flights and hotels (and who covers flights that are non-refundable? Mine are, paid extra because, well, 2020). And to top it off, I lose 4 hours of vacation time to traveling both ways between Marco Polo and Trieste. Sure, an ungodly amount of cruise and travel time is wasted, but more is never acceptible.

Now the icing on the cake was when I called NCL yesterday to see what they were planning on doing about it, what transport options we would have. The rep actually was making jokes about it (should have hung up there). Well, if you stay in Venice you are either on your own, or you have to get back to the airport to pay $25/person for what I anticipate to be a much more tedious trip to Trieste that possibly a train. Also issue is return trip, I have a flight around noon, which for a Venice port was not an issue, but is a whole different thing with Trieste. Then there was a Venice tour and transport that they are still selling on their website, 5 hours in Venice and transport to the airport after the cruise. I'd go for that but now it would be 7 hours plus if they offer it.

The nonchalance with which they are approaching this should not stand. I plan to complain early and often so that they at least start awarding us some credits, and think everyone else that booked early should do the same. They should have planned for this 2 years ago and did not, they should have made arrangements before the announcement to accommodate us and did not, and they should have at least coordinated with airlines to offer more options into Trieste, which again, they have not. Half assed is not how you run a business, and this is more like quarter assed. 

Rant suspended but not done.

On 1/18/2022 at 3:53 PM, bluesea777 said:

@TrumpyNorAn advice to you. When buying rail tickets go to Italiarail website and book and buy tickets. Do not buy the cheapest tickets. Buy the ones that you are able to change!

We've used this website in the past with great results:

https://www.trenitalia.com/en.html

Is that the one you're referring to?

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

YES! YES! This is the one!!

Apologies that I mentioned the wrong one (Italiarail) - i could not remember so googled it. 

Thank you! It's TRENITALIA .

• Thanks 1

Yes, this is the one I have used mys3lf in the past - it is the official webpage for the Italian railway company (there are many "train ticket travel offices" also offering train tickets, so it is easy to get lost in the "jungle". 😄 )

11 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

10 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

YES! YES! This is the one!!

Apologies that I mentioned the wrong one (Italiarail) - i could not remember so googled it. 

Thank you! It's TRENITALIA .

Edited by TrumpyNor
  • Thanks 1

On 1/18/2022 at 1:32 PM, TrumpyNor said:

I give up - you are still missing my point or not reading what I actually wrote  (9 pm would be the time I was ready to eat my dinner, after arriving at the hotel, checking in, have a quick shower, finding a restaurant and walk over to it. ..).. I hereby rest my case as I do not wish to spend any more time explaining my reasons...

Have a nice day.

I did understand your point, I definitely did read what you wrote. So what if you don't get all that done until 9 pm? It's Italy, 9 pm is a normal dinner time over there. Anyhow, you're on vacation, what does it matter? I think you are (understandably) upset that the cruise port changed from Venice to Trieste but that's just how it is. We had to change our airline flights to avoid a 5-day quarantine in order to catch our cruise, and that added at least an hour to our travel time. It is what it is, I hope you have a great time despite the inconvenience. As you've pointed out elsewhere, rearranging your flights to get there a day early would be costly, so just get to Trieste and enjoy your evening before what I hope will be a lovely and unforgettable cruise. 😄 Have a great evening! One of these days I would love to get your input on a good cruise to Norway. My wife has never been there and our cruise to Norway last year was canceled. I want to take her there and hopefully impress her with my fluent Norwegian. 😊

• 3 weeks later...

And it gets worst. Just got a letter saying all cruises on the Gem July 24-October 16 2022 will be skipping Argostoli. Not sure what the reasoning is, maybe more of Europe is deciding not to allow cruise ships, maybe Norwegian is just not willing to negotiate port fees. I am getting more annoyed by the day, hopefully this is temporary and they will either add it or another port back, otherwise that's a huge reduction in service that we've already paid for.

Original
Day Destination Arrive Depart  
Sun VENICE (TRIESTE), ITALY   5:00 pm  
Mon KOTOR, MONTENEGRO 2:00 pm 8:00 pm  
Tue CORFU, GREECE 10:00 am 4:00 pm  
Wed SANTORINI, GREECE 2:00 pm 10:00 pm  
Thu MYKONOS, GREECE 7:00 am 3:00 pm  
Fri ARGOSTOLI, GREECE 9:00 am 3:00 pm  
Sat DUBROVNIK, CROATIA 7:30 am 1:30 pm  
Sun VENICE (TRIESTE), ITALY 8:00 am    
Revised
Thu MYKONOS, GREECE 7:00 am 7:00 pm  
Fri AT SEA      
Sat DUBROVNIK, CROATIA 6:00 am 2:00 pm  
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, jusiag said:

And it gets worst. Just got a letter saying all cruises on the Gem July 24-October 16 2022 will be skipping Argostoli. Not sure what the reasoning is, maybe more of Europe is deciding not to allow cruise ships, maybe Norwegian is just not willing to negotiate port fees. I am getting more annoyed by the day, hopefully this is temporary and they will either add it or another port back, otherwise that's a huge reduction in service that we've already paid for.

Original
Thu MYKONOS, GREECE 7:00 am 3:00 pm  
Fri ARGOSTOLI, GREECE 9:00 am 3:00 pm  
Sat DUBROVNIK, CROATIA 7:30 am 1:30 pm  
Revised
Thu MYKONOS, GREECE 7:00 am 7:00 pm  
Fri AT SEA      
Sat DUBROVNIK, CROATIA 6:00 am 2:00 pm  

the change gives you four more hours on Mykonos which allows you enough time to go to Delos, and it adds 2 more hours in Dubrovnik, those to changes are well worth missing Argostoli.

• Like 1

Yeah more crowded destinations and removal of the less visited ones... Great job of NCL!

I can guarantee this is not a problem in Argostoli as there are other 120+ calls expected for the season.Argostoli is also the cheapest port compairing to all the other ports in the itinerary.

In addition, in Dubrovnik arrival time is listed as 6:00 but the port regulations say that no excursions can start until 7:00.

It was a unique itinerary before with a visit everyday in a different port, and now they made it just a regular one as the other itineraries companies are offering. For some companies Greece there is only Santorini, Mykonos, Corfu, Piraeus & Rhodes.

There is already a concern in Greece regarding those ports because habitants of these islands are complaining about overcrowding. Santorini recently imposed a restriction for only 4 ships at a day in the port. From what I hear other islands and cities will follow. NCL instead of helping the situation by removing one of those destinations for example, they decide to remove the less crowded one....

Edited by SummmerInKefalonia

12 hours ago, Rrhanson said:

We are also looking forward to visiting Trieste and would welcome tips about how to get there and where to stay close to the cruise port. Our group ranges in age from 18-90. 

We were recommended to book the Savoia Exelsior Palace. It is a five star hotel so rather expensive, but situated just across the street from the cruise port.

On 2/18/2022 at 3:52 PM, Momto3girlsintheCarolinas said:

Bumping this because I can use some  help with tip[s and tricks about  how to get to Trieste.  We're in the United States.  Is it cheaper/easier to fly to Venice and then take the train?  

All tips welcomed!

I am looking forward to seeing Trieste!

12 hours ago, Rrhanson said:

We are also looking forward to visiting Trieste and would welcome tips about how to get there and where to stay close to the cruise port. Our group ranges in age from 18-90. 

11 hours ago, MAC220251 said:

I changed flights to connect to Trieste from Frankfurt on Lufthansa.   There are frequent flights to Frankfurt from NA.

There are also direct domestic flights between Rome and Trieste, takes about 1h10min and for a one-way ticket to Rome in July after our Trieste cruise I paid €100 per person (probably cheaper when booking return-tickets). https://www.itaspa.com/en_en/ 

• Thanks 1

Also DW and I are booked on NCL Gem June 19, 2022. Original booking was done on 11-26-21 which embarkation was in Venice. Did get the letter saying it was moved to Trieste. Made final payment 2 days ago. I did not know it until I was reading these posts about Argostoli being dropped as a scheduled port. Looked at last invoice and it is a sea day now.  We also had booked NCL air and hotel in Venice, Crowne Plaza Quarto D'Altino. Invoice shows bus from hotel to port.