Anthem Disappointment (Really RCCL In General)

13 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

I agree with you, however, we were lucky and got this cruise very cheap.  I do expect some things to be happening.  Not there just to eat and drink.

Agree. The 2 dozen+ Cruises Booked last 18 months and except for post 9/11 they were some Cheapest ever paid, though some that is Military/SOLO Disc

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Coochuck said:

You are 100% correct in your statement about not getting what she paid for her cruise.  We were on the Anthem Dec 14th....got what we paid for....Didn't get off the ship in Port Canaveral, nor Nassau, but we did enjoy a day at Coco Cay.  We are on the Jan 20th Anthem Cruise and paid a lot more for this cruise with the expectation of great ports of call.  Now they are changing the ports which we will visit due to the Omicron outbreak which I understand.  With that being said, not returning Port Taxes for missed stops (San Juan so far), nor offering any compensation for missing St Lucia is unacceptable.  We have the same class of cabin from our December and January cruises...but the price difference is close to $1000.00 difference between the cruises.

A little context here may be in order. First, your previous Anthem sailing, which I assume was some other date and not Dec 14, was her usual 7 day run to PC and Bahamas, which are really cheap. You are comparing that to an 11 day sailing to the Eastern Caribbean - of course it'll be more expensive.

As mentioned by others, it may seem unacceptable to you, but in pre-COVID days, RCI rarely provided any compensation for missed ports and taxes are only returned if the over all taxes go down due to missing a port.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

A little context here may be in order. First, your previous Anthem sailing, which I assume was some other date and not Dec 14, was her usual 7 day run to PC and Bahamas, which are really cheap. You are comparing that to an 11 day sailing to the Eastern Caribbean - of course it'll be more expensive.

Dec 5-12 was 7 day Bahamas

Dec 12 - 24 was 12 day

Dec 24 to 31 was 7 day Bahamas

Dec 31 to Jan 9 was 9 day (St. Maarten, Antigua)

Thanks OP for taking the time to post your experience. Two sides to this:

1) given current conditions I think understanding these things may happen is first and foremost
2) there are some who value these posts to confirm that these situations are in fact occurring so they can make their decisions on booking 

For every "what did you expect" response there is likely a "good to know that's still happening" reply also.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

As mentioned by others, it may seem unacceptable to you, but in pre-COVID days, RCI rarely provided any compensation for missed ports and taxes are only returned if the over all taxes go down due to missing a port.

it was Dec 24, 2021....have done 4 cruises since August...everyone was excellent...but in the past few weeks...things have turned upside down by omnicron strain.  Before ports were missed because of weather related problems.  Now...ships are being turned away because of infected crew/passenger combo which is a ratio greater than some islands will allow.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Coochuck said:

it was Dec 24, 2021....have done 4 cruises since August...everyone was excellent...but in the past few weeks...things have turned upside down by omnicron strain.  Before ports were missed because of weather related problems.  Now...ships are being turned away because of infected crew/passenger combo which is a ratio greater than some islands will allow.

My bad...cruise on Anthem was Nov 14...got it confused with our Celebrity cruise taken in December.

22 hours ago, cruising247365 said:

So disappointed!  What was supposed to be our first cruise since 2019 (gasp!) has turned out to be exactly what we were fearing would happen.  Ruined due to covid.  Wanted to let others know, if you are on the same sailing for the 20th.  We just got emailed that Anthem will not be going to San Juan due to the new testing requirements.  So losing a port.  We were okay with that but then also were notified that St Lucia is also now gone, replaced by St Thomas, which we have been to 4 times.  St Lucia was the only one we cared about.

We are frustrated not because this happened but because RCCL seems to be acting in a shady manner with all of this.  We just booked a couple weeks ago, only to read that other sailings were notified/changed prior to this.  Yet, RCL has left it listed (even now!) and are letting people buy it, knowing that this will NOT be the itinerary.  We have also seen St Kitts pulled from multiple sailings (like Piper's live blog this week) but RCL is not notifying of that being pulled as yet.

We all defend our fave lines, but this is the wrong way to do business.  One thing to leave Haiti options up for months out, but this is current, now.  They know exactly what is going to be the case but are leaving things up as they are, and not telling people of the changed itineraries.  There is no reason for them to cancel St Lucia, as it has nothing to do with covid...other ships are still going there and are in fact there now.  We know that St Kitts will also be gone, as the current sailing has done, and other ships have done. 

Was really hoping that cruising was back (lol, especially as shareholders!) but it sadly just is not.  We are just lucky that we were not having to fly in, as that would have been lost money too!  By the way, we called immediately and they said they would NOT be reimbursing for the loss of San Juan.  They would for other ports, but not that one.  Perhaps because it is a US port, they would not specify. Seems not right, still selling an itinerary you KNOW will not be happening, and not offering credits either!

We sail on the 23rd and our ports are still showing Haiti 😂 which we have known forever that we aren't going. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, BND said:

Well, you did mention it twice like it carries some kind of weight.    I also think the majority of us didn't buy it to enhance our portfolios.

Mentioning "shareholder" or "stockholder" = humblebrag.

18 hours ago, matj2000 said:

I like my daily life.

Sorry you are miserable...

Nowhere did Dani say she was miserable. Not sure if you were ever told this, but if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, cruise1957 said:

Nowhere did Dani say she was miserable. Not sure if you were ever told this, but if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything. 

Appreciate your input.  Thank you. I definitely am not miserable.  With four kids, their spouses and six grandchildren in and out it is just nice to get away sometimes.😊However, I would not change anything about my life.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DaniDanielle said:

Appreciate your input.  Thank you. I definitely am not miserable.  With four kids, their spouses and six grandchildren in and out it is just nice to get away sometimes.😊However, I would not change anything about my life.

You were originally on our September Oasis cruise, but changed to the test cruise, and I enjoyed our contact via the roll call. What I got from that is that you are a happy caring person! Hope we will meet on some other cruise. Stay safe!

• Like 1

Oh, thank you so very much.  I said to my husband I wish we kept the September cruise because things were better then.  We just thought going eight days later would have been too much on our old bodies!

stay safe also.

Edited by DaniDanielle

um ok.

We just sailed Anthem for NYE with PR canceled and a few more stops juggled.  One of our top 3 Cruises ever.

We had COVID expectations, and we were super surprised at how great this trip turned out! (also cheapest NYE cruise we have ever done, even at 9 days. I have paid almost double for 7 day NYE trips.)

I guess Some people are just never satisfied! Why cruise in this era if you are not OK with major/minor adjustments to crew , shows, ports, etc etc?

On a side note? What does being a shareholder have to do with this? You should be Enjoying the money they are making you. I sure am! The swings are so predictable and volatile its just easy money at this point. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Plum Happy said:

Everyone on the ship has to be tested 48 hours, tell us how can a ship test them in that timeframe leaving Florida?

Harmony tested every passenger onboard the day before docking to disembark passengers in Barcelona last fall.....they were legally required to test everyone.  It went quickly and smoothly too (though I think we had about 2200 passengers if memory serves, far from full).  It IS possible, but gets very expensive for the line, so I can understand why they would not.....and it might be too difficult to obtain that many tests right now.

We took two cruises last fall.  We were SO EXCITED to finally have some which were not cancelled.  We chose ships we enjoy and decided any ports we got to see were a bonus.  Heck, even pre covid I always advise people not to book a cruise if the major reason is you HAVE to see THAT port.  About fifty percent of my pre covid cruises had a last minute port change or port skipped due to weather, dock workers on strike, etc.  

If being flexible and enjoying the change of scenery, the food and whatever the cruise line CAN offer you is not good enough for you right now, then, yep, you should not be cruising until COVID is over.  And that is OK, we all make decision about how to spend our money and our free time.  

As fas as RCI IT keeping up with all the changes?  I would guess their staff has been hit hard by illness too and is understaffed just as the system is most overhwlemed with major changes almost daily, and needing to process refunds, etc.  I can sort of understand why one of the balls that gest dropped is changing the listings on the website, when it is so damned easy to look up otherwise and in most cases completely uncertain from sailing to sailing anyway.

I think the OP should consider themselves fotunate to have been able to get a cash refund and not credit.  Not everyone can manage that.  

Edited by xxHadleyxx
  • Like 1

On 1/14/2022 at 3:57 PM, xxHadleyxx said:

Harmony tested every passenger onboard the day before docking to disembark passengers in Barcelona last fall.....they were legally required to test everyone.  It went quickly and smoothly too (though I think we had about 2200 passengers if memory serves, far from full).  It IS possible, but gets very expensive for the line, so I can understand why they would not.....and it might be too difficult to obtain that many tests right now.

How many were on board?  Do you think every ship going there can do this and the cost involved in this?  They would have to raise the prices of cruises.  It's not going to happen.

On 1/13/2022 at 3:53 PM, Oceansaway17 said:

well it is cruise CRITIC. And if RCCL knows island are being removed, they need to update the website immediately.  Then again, the IT dept is well ya know, - we all know.  bless their hearts.  

Do we know for a fact they have an IT department or this rumors? 😉

I just got off Odyssey.  Loved it. My only expectation was relief and gratitude to be on the ship, to be fed, relax, and watch the ocean while reading and enjoying my coffee. My hope was to avoid coming up positive or being quarantined. Everything else  exceeded my expectation. I think any other attitude should probably avoid cruising right now.

9 hours ago, Plum Happy said:

How many were on board?  Do you think every ship going there can do this and the cost involved in this?  They would have to raise the prices of cruises.  It's not going to happen.

Did you read the post?  I said I thought about 2200 on board.

So far as I understand, all of the sailings ending in Spain last year had to do this.

Let's see, retail price of a home test where i live (Germany) was running 89 cents at the time....RCI was using the same tests, just having staff administer them after checking ID and then sending official results via email. Plus cost of gloves and PPE.  MIght've added 5 euro to the final price of the  cruise per passenger.  Maybe.  

I mean, I hope we get to a point where this is not needed/required.  Especially because the enviornmetal impact of tossing all those glove and test kits is HUGE.  I understand from many American friends and family that fast, effecient and frequent testing isn't somethig you have gotten used to yet.  I keep hearing from people who just now had their first test, or have only had 2-3 during the whole pandemic.  But, really fast, large scale testing is quite doable and has been done elsewhere for more than a year now.  Again, taking Germany for an example, in our state every school child is tested 3 times per week. (I think this is national but I am too lazy to look it up),  unvaxxed workers test within 24 hours of the start of every shift (meaning for most, 5 times per week).  I test before in any person Girl Scout meeting (I lead) or any get together with a friend from another household, etc.  It never takes more than 5 minuts wait time (usually less) and it has never taken more than a half hour to get results in my email.