Anthem Disappointment (Really RCCL In General)

So disappointed!  What was supposed to be our first cruise since 2019 (gasp!) has turned out to be exactly what we were fearing would happen.  Ruined due to covid.  Wanted to let others know, if you are on the same sailing for the 20th.  We just got emailed that Anthem will not be going to San Juan due to the new testing requirements.  So losing a port.  We were okay with that but then also were notified that St Lucia is also now gone, replaced by St Thomas, which we have been to 4 times.  St Lucia was the only one we cared about.

We are frustrated not because this happened but because RCCL seems to be acting in a shady manner with all of this.  We just booked a couple weeks ago, only to read that other sailings were notified/changed prior to this.  Yet, RCL has left it listed (even now!) and are letting people buy it, knowing that this will NOT be the itinerary.  We have also seen St Kitts pulled from multiple sailings (like Piper's live blog this week) but RCL is not notifying of that being pulled as yet.

We all defend our fave lines, but this is the wrong way to do business.  One thing to leave Haiti options up for months out, but this is current, now.  They know exactly what is going to be the case but are leaving things up as they are, and not telling people of the changed itineraries.  There is no reason for them to cancel St Lucia, as it has nothing to do with covid...other ships are still going there and are in fact there now.  We know that St Kitts will also be gone, as the current sailing has done, and other ships have done. 

Was really hoping that cruising was back (lol, especially as shareholders!) but it sadly just is not.  We are just lucky that we were not having to fly in, as that would have been lost money too!  By the way, we called immediately and they said they would NOT be reimbursing for the loss of San Juan.  They would for other ports, but not that one.  Perhaps because it is a US port, they would not specify. Seems not right, still selling an itinerary you KNOW will not be happening, and not offering credits either!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

We have friends currently onboard.  They're so happy to just be cruising.  Who really expected Haiti (Labadee) to be open?  Certainly not us.  All you have to do is be aware of the political unrest.  Even before Covid there was never any guarantee of any port.  The ports requirements are going to continue to change for a bit.  I'm just amazed that people are currently amazed with the current situation.  The changes you mentioned have been happening off and on for months.  Expect things to improve somewhat in a month or so, but it's not changing our cruising.  Experts are all expecting a huge dropoff in cases by beginning of Feb.  BTW, we've been to most of the ports 5+ times but still go because we cruise to cruise.

BTW, welcome to CC.  It's amazing how many people discover this site just in time to complain lol.

Edited by BND
  • Like 36
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

Unless your ship departs from San Juan, no one is stopping there because of their new rules about being tested 48 hours before docking.  So, it's a given no one is stopping there because that would be impossible to tests thousands within their timeframe.

Edited by Plum Happy
  • Like 5

21 minutes ago, BND said:

BTW, welcome to CC.  It's amazing how many people discover this site just in time to complain lol.

well it is cruise CRITIC. And if RCCL knows island are being removed, they need to update the website immediately.  Then again, the IT dept is well ya know, - we all know.  bless their hearts.  

• Like 14
  • Haha 2

Oh, we have been on CC for a decade now, just never posted!  We even have some of the CC swag.  We feel like we know many of you well...reading all the posts back in March 2020, especially around stock shares, was very interesting!  We are longtime cruisers, love cruising, but love vacationing even more.  Stayed away from cruising because the constant masking, testing, staffing, itinerary changes, lessened venues, lessened entertainment (look at the Cirque show), and yet higher and higher prices.  Been putting our money to more secure trips...flying private we do not worry about the flights, etc.  Cruising was always our bastion, though, but current situation with soaring pricing has kept us away.  Was trying to dip back in, thought a nice butler suite might be nice again but it just seems cruising is simply not ready to be fully back.  All this testing, other issues mentioned simply do not seem like a vacation.  We certainly do miss it though! 

We were just citing Haiti because as others have also mentioned, RCL still sells excursions or list the itineraries even though they know it is not happening (probably IT).  But this situation seems a bit more surreptitious, as they clearly know/knew what was coming, but let people buy anyway.  And then to not offer credits...seems bad form.  I just checked again and they still have the same itinerary listed and up for sale.  Really wanted to let others know of the Anthem changes, and perhaps help someone before they book if they wanted St Kitts or St Lucia.  Those ones have not been because of policy changes like San Juan...more just discretionary changes due to different sailing routes.  We had expected them to replace San Juan but they are not.  Again, speaks to what I said...trying to sail during covid is really not feeling like a 'vacation' but more of a hassle/stress issue than anything!  We know we are not the only people who feel this way. 

As shareholders, we truly want cruising to be completely back lol.  We were really hoping this would be 'it'.

• Like 3

Unless you are happy with being on a ship that may or may not stop at any ports,  with possibly limited entertainment and onboard activities, potentially being quarantined, etc., now is not the time to be cruising. If available, take a refund. You are then not tied to any particular cruise line, timeframe or even a cruise. For most people, there are much better vacation options currently than cruising. 

• Like 23

4 minutes ago, cruising247365 said:

As shareholders, we truly want cruising to be completely back lol.  We were really hoping this would be 'it'.

A lot of us are "shareholders".   

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Plum Happy said:

Unless your ship departs from San Juan, no one is stopping there because of their new rules about being tested 48 hours before docking.  So, it's a given no one is stopping there because that would be impossible to tests thousands within their timeframe.

San Juan is not stopping ships from coming because of cases on board.  the place is overrun with cases right now and they have to get their own house right before others come in to visit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

Unless you are happy with being on a ship that may or may not stop at any ports,  with possibly limited entertainment and onboard activities, potentially being quarantined, etc., now is not the time to be cruising. If available, take a refund. You are then not tied to any particular cruise line, timeframe or even a cruise. For most people, there are much better vacation options currently than cruising. 

Yes, that is what we ended up doing...and plan on booking a trip to Mexico, or maybe even Iceland (or both).  They at first said no refunds, and I had to argue with them, put on hold multiple times, etc.  Then tried to do credit only, then eventually agreed to complete refund as I noted their own policy states you are protected from changes due to covid...not exactly the same, but their email did state 'due to covid...'

• Like 1

A Long time Cruise critic would have used the free flowing information that has been coming out like an over flowing septic tank the past month and planned accordingly.  If you didnt know two weeks ago that San Juan was a no go you havnt been checking in enough.

I agree things are not the same right now and you have to take your trip with an open mind.  Cancelling for you is definitely the right choice.  You already have your mind made up that it will suck for you.

I feel bad that you wont be able to use the new RCL "Butler' they are apparently offering.

I have been on here a lot lately and will be watching all of your comments for years to come.  If you could point out where on the RCL website I can sign up for a "Butler" it would be helpful.

• Like 6

Hopefully, one day soon.....maybe a few weeks from now....we will be back to complaining about people wearing shorts in the dining room, stiffing the staff on tips, not enough drinks in the Diamond Lounge, etc.  

Right now, I think RCI (and other lines) are holding on the best the can for the Omicron ride.  We can't expect too much during this time, and as a stockholder, I'm just glad they are still sailing as many ships as they can.  I think they want their passengers to be happy, but are understaffed and overwhelmed.  

I hope you make the best of your sailing.  🙂

• Like 13

20 minutes ago, cruising247365 said:

We know! 

Well, you did mention it twice like it carries some kind of weight.    I also think the majority of us didn't buy it to enhance our portfolios.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

I can't believe all of the threads popping up telling tales of disappointment either by missing ports or the on board experience. Has anyone been paying attention as to what's going on in the world these last few weeks?

Since Christmas my son had Covid, My brother and sister in law had covid and today my mother was rushed to the hospital because she couldn't breath. We thought it was her congestive heart failure but it turned out to be Covid.  I immediately took my father to Citi MD to be tested and he also tested positive for Covid. This is just my immediate family who have all been vaccinated plus boosters. We didn't even celebrate the holiday together because my son had Covid 3 days before Christmas.  We all managed to escape it since 2020 before vaccines but now it's just everywhere. I'm just waiting for it to be my turn. 

I would say anyone who can be on a cruise ship and not get Covid should count themselves lucky even if they can't see the shows, eat in certain restaurants or visit ports. I'm surprised that I'm not reading about more passengers who are on the ship with covid. Anyone who thinks it's cruising as usual is delusional.  Thanks for the warning but I don't need to touch an open flame to know it's hot. 

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Thank you cruising247365.

You have helped set my expectations for an upcoming cruise, my first since early 2020.

Reading the threads on this message board I know the cruise can be anywhere from great to disappointing. But if I prepare myself mentally to accept whatever happens then I know I'll have a good cruise.

That's me personally. I have resolved to be happy even if we're just sailing around the Caribbean while eating, drinking, and lounging by the pool. I know others feel differently and that's OK.

I definitely won't prepay any excursions. When we get off the ship there's always plenty of people willing to offer "guidance".

• Like 5

1 minute ago, SG65CB said:

Thank you cruising247365.

You have helped set my expectations for an upcoming cruise, my first since early 2020.

Reading the threads on this message board I know the cruise can be anywhere from great to disappointing. But if I prepare myself mentally to accept whatever happens then I know I'll have a good cruise.

That's me personally. I have resolved to be happy even if we're just sailing around the Caribbean while eating, drinking, and lounging by the pool. I know others feel differently and that's OK.

I definitely won't prepay any excursions. When we get off the ship there's always plenty of people willing to offer "guidance".

This is the open minded attitude you have to take. Expect the worst, hope for the best and if it falls someplace in the middle you had a good experience. Enjoy your cruise and be safe.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, barbeyg said:

Hopefully, one day soon.....maybe a few weeks from now....we will be back to complaining about people wearing shorts in the dining room, stiffing the staff on tips, not enough drinks in the Diamond Lounge, etc.  

Right now, I think RCI (and other lines) are holding on the best the can for the Omicron ride.  We can't expect too much during this time, and as a stockholder, I'm just glad they are still sailing as many ships as they can.  I think they want their passengers to be happy, but are understaffed and overwhelmed.  

I hope you make the best of your sailing.  🙂

Absolutely.  I believe they have 3? ships operating as quarantine ships like the Jewel that are working to shift workers in and out.  Has to be rough for sure!  We have sailed Princess, NCL, Holland, Carnival, Celebrity.  This was actually supposed to be our first RCL cruise, as we wanted to see if we want to sail them more often.  Always hear from RCL loyalists how great they are, have wanted to check them out.  This one was drivable, so figured we would give it a shot.  Is RCL your fave?

• Haha 2

Seeing that Royal is thrashing the water like a drowning kitten right now just trying to keep up with everything that’s happening at present, I can understand how they can’t change itineraries immediately as things happen. (Labadee excepted)
Like others have said, if you can’t just go with the flow right now it’s best to back out and back up for a while. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

This is the open minded attitude you have to take. Expect the worst, hope for the best and if it falls someplace in the middle you had a good experience. Enjoy your cruise and be safe.

Spot on LAM!!  I am very sorry to hear about the tough spell you are going through with your family!!  We are all living it unfortunately and it is VERY disruptive.

I am also so glad that you are all vaccinated as it definitely saved the lives of both my parents.  Praying for a speedy recovery for your family!!!!

• Like 5