Family of 5 all have COVID, PCR test in 60 days will be okay?

exm

We are a family of 5, 3 kids under 12. My wife is vaxed, I am boosted, kids unvaxed. We all have COVID and besides some mild symptoms are doing okay. On one hand I am relieved we all got it at the same time, but I am a bit concerned if PCR tests for our kids will continue to show positive in our upcoming cruise on 3/13 - about 60 days out.

Apparently there is a lot of mixed science about how long this can stay in your system. Royal apparently doesn’t accept any doctor paperwork showing a recent recovery. Has anyone here ever had the the experience to still test positive for COVID after such a long time and being denied boarding?

Edited by exm
  • Like 1

• exm changed the title to Family of 5 all have COVID, PCR test in 60 days will be okay?

Unvaccinated kids must have a negative PCR test to cruise.  They say the PCR test is very sensitive and can still give positive results for a long time.

Are your kids old enough to get vaccinated?  If they are, I’d recommend getting them fully vaccinated before your cruise so they can use the less sensitive antigen test.  If not, I’d strongly consider postponing your cruise especially if you have to fly.

i wish your family the best.

Don’t do a PCR! Do the Antigen. It is more accurate if you have had COVID. PCRs may test a false positive even way after the 10 days you may be contagious. Royal let’s you submit Antigen tests. Do that.

Ugh just saw that you can’t. Sorry. Test the kids weekly then at the last minute. I hope it works out for you. 🙏🙏

Edited by HBCcruiser

Article in the newspaper today says that you may test positive for up to 4 weeks. If that is accurate, you should be okay. 

"Q: When should we consider ourselves no longer contagious and which test is best at proving it?

A: Your viral levels will be highest on the third or fourth day after infection. You might stay there for a few days. But then your viral levels will start to come back down.

When your rapid antigen test reads negative, you likely don’t have enough of the virus to transmit it to others.

But your “at home” PCR test will stay positive, even if you’re no longer contagious, for another four to 10 days. The lab-based PCR will stay positive for up to four more weeks."

Edited by Coralc

8 hours ago, D4 said:

Unvaccinated kids must have a negative PCR test to cruise.  They say the PCR test is very sensitive and can still give positive results for a long time.

Are your kids old enough to get vaccinated?  If they are, I’d recommend getting them fully vaccinated before your cruise so they can use the less sensitive antigen test.  If not, I’d strongly consider postponing your cruise especially if you have to fly.

i wish your family the best.

Thanks everyone for replying. It does makes sense to do a PCR test 2 weeks prior it seems like for the kids.

To the poster above, I am not going to vaccinate them, especially since they now have natural immunity. I am hopeful that one day our politicians actually follow the science and consider people with natural immunity at the same level as vaccinated people. Although I have a feeling pretty much everyone will get Omnicron at a certain point so maybe that will be the end of all vaccine mandates. Vaccines work to prevent serious illness, but I can tell you my vaxed wife and I feel ten time shittier than my unvaxed kids who are doing just fine. 

• Like 2