If I happen to win an upgrade will I lose prepaid grats?

callmebetty

When we booked our cruise 1000 years ago, one perk was prepaid gratuities for categories excluding suite and Haven. If I happen to win an upgrade to a suite from our aft balcony, what happens? PCC didn't have an answer. Would they charge us the difference? Would I lose them entirely?  If the grats go away, I want to factor that into my total bid since it's an extra $300ish to pay the service charges. Thanks everyone!

• Like 1

If winning that upgrade YES you would have to pay a difference in gratuity levels.

All the other perks bennies bonuses should remain in place and you would pick-up

any of the perks of being in a suite/haven.

You are not changing the booking (sailing date) just upgrading to a better stateroom

with a different gratuity charge level.

Since the upgrade is to a more expensive stateroom although you are not paying full

fare for it the insurance as the previous poster commented that would change.

Change in value of what is insured.

All this would be a small charge outside of the winning upgrade bid.

Hope you win !

Wish that NCL would provide their PCCs with better information and not leave guests

in the dark about what is what. It is tough enough for the guest to make phone contact 

with NCL in any capacity - guests deserve answers right now and an immediate call back

if that answer is not available.

• Like 1

I can't tell you with certainty, but can only relay my experience.  I prepaid gratuities for a cruise on which I booked a balcony stateroom.  I then won a bid to upgrade to the Haven.  I was not charged the difference for the additional amount of daily service charges ordinarily charged in the Haven categories.  

If I understand your situation, you would not have to pay the daily service charge at all due to a promotion by NCL or another travel agent.  If that is correct, it is a different situation than mine.  

• Like 2

I recently had the same experience as Travelicious, I won the bid and did not pay the difference in gratuities. Someone did mention that only happens if you prepay but I cannot confirm that is true. In any case, my thought is you would not lose them entirely and I also think you would not be charged the difference. Of course, things change daily so I could be wrong. Either way, good luck with your bid and have a great cruise!

5 hours ago, callmebetty said:

When we booked our cruise 1000 years ago, one perk was prepaid gratuities for categories excluding suite and Haven. If I happen to win an upgrade to a suite from our aft balcony, what happens? PCC didn't have an answer. Would they charge us the difference? Would I lose them entirely?  If the grats go away, I want to factor that into my total bid since it's an extra $300ish to pay the service charges. Thanks everyone!

There is no such ting as prepaid gratuities.  You mean prepaid DSC I am guessing.  Winning an upgrade bid will not impact your FAS items.

You will not pay the difference in the discretionary service charge.  You will not receive additional FAS categories associated with the haven upgrade.  Your NCL insurance, if purchased, will be adjusted to cover your additional fare expense from your upgrade bid.  Happy sailing.

Edited by razor7_us
Typo